The Te of Piglet by Benjamin Hoff

The Te of Piglet (1992)

by Benjamin Hoff

The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff (Marewinds)
    Marewinds: Companion volume to the Tao of Pooh, and slightly more in-depth, for the next steps in your journey down the path of the Tao.

From the outset [a: Benjamin Hoff|27397|Benjamin Hoff|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1472629940p2/27397.jpg] makes it clear that this is not so much a sequel to [b: The Tao of Pooh|48757|The Tao of Pooh|Benjamin Hoff|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1348137748s/48757.jpg|55188] as it is a companion book to the first. What this means, essentially, is that this exists to further expound upon the contents of [b: The Tao of Pooh|48757|The Tao of Pooh|Benjamin Hoff|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1348137748s/48757.jpg|55188] rather than complement them exactly. The result of which is a book that goes much more in depth than [b: The Tao of Pooh|48757|The Tao of Pooh|Benjamin Hoff|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1348137748s/48757.jpg|55188] and comes across as considerably less charming than the first. It is what it is.

I first heard about this book from a friend's mom, a former teacher of Buddhism, and she was considerably fond of it. I read it only cautiously, having been a great fan of the first book, but ultimately did not find myself disappointed. Yes, it is more complicated than [b: The Tao of Pooh|48757|The Tao of Pooh|Benjamin Hoff|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1348137748s/48757.jpg|55188] and with less charming interjections from the characters and examples. It falls into ranting now and again rather than explaining plainly, but ultimately it is informative. It gives one things to think on, contains a lot of rather beautiful Taoist translations, and altogether is entertaining. That's all I truly ask for from most books.

I would caution people about this book, and explain what it is prior to them reading it. Do not go in expecting the same experience [b: The Tao of Pooh|48757|The Tao of Pooh|Benjamin Hoff|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1348137748s/48757.jpg|55188] offered, but go in with an open heart and mind. I'm hovering between a 2 and 3 star rating. I did enjoy the book, but it still left me feeling more empty than perhaps I would like. It didn't have the charm of the first book, and at times was more muddled than helpful. I liked the message, but I liked reading through the Book of Changes more than this.

Perhaps it will be stronger upon a reread? ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Not as good as the Tao of Pooh, I struggled to finish this book. ( )
  GRHewitt | Jan 23, 2018 |
In the Te of Piglet the author explains more principles of the Tao Te Ching through the characters in the Winnie-the-Pooh books and how the character of Piglet himself is an example of someone who embodies the Taoist principle of the Virtue of the Small. Hoff also uses the characters of Eeyore and Tigger to discuss destructive aspects of the character of humankind and western society as it was at the time of writing in the early 1990s - which is still relevant today, more than 20 years on unfortunately. I think these books are a great start for someone wanting to learn more about the Tao and Eastern thought. ( )
  Jane-Phillips | Nov 9, 2017 |
The Te of Piglet . . . in which a good deal of Taoist wisdom is revealed through the character and actions of A. A. Milne's Piglet. Piglet? Yes, Piglet. For the better than impulsive Tigger? or the gloomy Eeyore? or the intellectual Owl? or even the lovable Pooh? Piglet herein demonstrates a very important principle of Taoism: The Te--a Chinese word meaning Virtue--of the Small. ( )
  LynneQuan | Sep 22, 2017 |
Odd ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
One day not long ago, I found Piglet sitting by himself on the writing table, gazing wistfully out the window.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:18 -0400)

The author and the characters from the Pooh books engage in dialogue elucidating the Taoist principle of Te, the Way of the Small.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,169,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible