Peace Walker: The Legend of Hiawatha and…

Peace Walker: The Legend of Hiawatha and Tekanawita (original 2004; edition 2004)

by C.J. Taylor

Member:TundraBooks
Title:Peace Walker: The Legend of Hiawatha and Tekanawita
Authors:C.J. Taylor
Info:Tundra Books (2004), Hardcover, 48 pages

Peace walker : the legend of Hiawatha and Tekanawita by C.J. Taylor (2004)

The illustrations in this book are absolutely stunning. I am not surprised to learn that the writer/illustrator has art exhibits across America. This book is a bit dry to read, so it might be difficult for students to get through, but it contains great information. I would say it would be a good history lesson for 4th graders. I would definitely use this in my classroom to help remind my students of America's often forgotten history.
  ulindsay | Mar 13, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Iroquois folklore about the evil Chief Atotarho who wanted to kill Chief Hiawatha. Chief Atotarho orders a lot of people killed. Hiawatha eventually saves the Iroquois by drawing the evil out of Chief Atotarho. ( )
  hdzookeeper | Oct 23, 2014 |
It is a story about the history of some native Americans, and the story is full of the Native American life style and culture.
  xliao | Oct 13, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My eight year old really enjoyed this, which I read to her at bed time (one chapter at a time). We both loved the illustrations, and really rooted for the hero. I found it difficult to pronounce many of the names, which made reading it out loud tricky, but it was well worth it. ( )
  wosret | Sep 5, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A beautifully written story of the origins of the Iroquois Five Nations Confederacy, told in such compelling simple language, yet filled with breathtaking images. The reader can't help but feel the depths of evil and depravity in the old chief Atotarho "His orange eyes could pierce a man's soul." And the refreshing honesty and goodness of Hiawatha, "He wore fine, fur-lined robes, a deer-hide shirt, leggings and moccasins. All were fashioned and decorated by his beloved daughters." The pain and suffering experienced by all the Iroquois through Atotarho's constant warmongering is vividly portrayed and then the culmination of working together against a common problem brings a satisfying conclusion. Lovely. ( )
2 vote katylit | Jun 24, 2014 |

A retelling for young readers of the Iroquois legend of Hiawatha and the establishment of the Great Peace among the Five Nations: the Mohawk, Onondaga, Seneca, Oneida, and Cayuga Indians.

Recounts the tale of Hiawatha's bravery in bringing peace and unity to the Iroquois nations.

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Peace Walker by C.J. Taylor was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,194,566 books! | Top bar: Always visible