Peace Walker: The Legend of Hiawatha and…

Peace Walker: The Legend of Hiawatha and Tekanawita (original 2004; edition 2004)

by C.J. Taylor

2110495,208 (4)2
Member:TundraBooks
Title:Peace Walker: The Legend of Hiawatha and Tekanawita
Authors:C.J. Taylor
Info:Tundra Books (2004), Hardcover, 48 pages

Peace walker : the legend of Hiawatha and Tekanawita by C.J. Taylor (2004)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A beautifully written story of the origins of the Iroquois Five Nations Confederacy, told in such compelling simple language, yet filled with breathtaking images. The reader can't help but feel the depths of evil and depravity in the old chief Atotarho "His orange eyes could pierce a man's soul." And the refreshing honesty and goodness of Hiawatha, "He wore fine, fur-lined robes, a deer-hide shirt, leggings and moccasins. All were fashioned and decorated by his beloved daughters." The pain and suffering experienced by all the Iroquois through Atotarho's constant warmongering is vividly portrayed and then the culmination of working together against a common problem brings a satisfying conclusion. Lovely. ( )
1 vote katylit | Jun 24, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book for young readers (or for reading to them) is a retelling of the founding myth of the Iroquois (Haudenosaunee, People of the Longhouse). I'm not able to judge how closely it hews to Iroquois tradition, but the author does name her sources, including an Iroquois storyteller whose performances of the story influenced this written version.

The artwork is colorful, sometimes gruesome, and very likely to capture the imagination of young people.

For readers unfamiliar with the tradition, the story may seem to have a dreamlike quality. Yet it can be a good way to get young people to think deeply about questions of power and how people can live together in peace.

Adults may be surprised to find that Hiawatha is the culture hero of the Iroquois people — not a character invented by Longfellow.
  Muscogulus | Jun 19, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a teacher I am always looking for new ways to share culture and bring about an understanding of the world at large. One of the best ways to do so, in my experience, is by reading stories from various cultures to the students. However, with young, busy children, one cannot always be certain that the stories I enjoy will appeal to them. This is why I tend to use my own busy children as guinea pigs.

This story was engaging and interesting. The imagery was lovely, with beautiful artwork that did not take away from the mental images that are drawn in the minds of the readers. My children were not at all "bored" while I read this book to them. In fact, they found themselves full of questions and comments, which can be considered a very good thing indeed.

One aspect that I truly appreciated was the possibility for tie-in to Social Sciences, as this book does detail the decision-making process of the native clans whom our country's forefathers used to model our own democratic model.

Excellent book!
  spookyspice | Apr 21, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thought this was a compelling combination of myth and history. This legend of Hiawatha will inspire you to learn more about the Iroquois nation and their stories. It is a short chapter book meant for children age eight and over. I still enjoyed the reading the story. It is a great introduction to Hiawatha. I also really liked the artwork in this book. I think my two favorite pictures were of Chief Atotarho.

I like that Taylor included some history of the Iroquois confederacy. It is important for Americans to realize how the Iroquois inspired Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson and others forming the American government. I found the historical part of this book very interesting, but it is short. I will have to find some books to read more about the history.

If you like reading different myths and legends, I would recommend this book. Particularly if you are looking for some legends to read with a child. ( )
  BittyCornwell | Mar 24, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The first thing I noticed about C.J. Taylor's book Peace Walker was the breathtaking artwork. The dramatic, full-page paintings are very striking and complement the story well. With an intermingling of historical detail and traditional folklore, the text tells of the beginning of the Iroqois Confederacy, a united group of five (later six) Nations in what is now the New York state area. There is a clear contrast in the story between the brutal leadership of Chief Atotarho and the noble, long-suffering leadership of Chief Hiawatha. Atotarho suffers constant physical and emotional pain, but he suffers alone as his body and mind become more and more twisted. He resists peace, orders violent raids, and metes out cruel punishments. Like Atotarho. Hiawatha also endures great suffering, but in his suffering he seeks to bring comfort to others and, while he originally goes into the wilderness to suffer alone, he eventually finds healing and restoration through the help of another person, Tekanawita. Together, Hiawatha and Tekanawita, after long efforts (it takes "five cycles of seasons") bring peace and unity to the tribes who end up forming the Confederation and even bring peace to cruel Atotharo. I look forward to reading this book aloud and sharing Taylor's beautiful artwork with my children in the next year as we study Native Americans in our home school. I will caution that some parents/teachers may want to pre-read the text, as some of the language and imagery used to describe Atotahro could potentially be frightening for very young children. Also, while I found the information in the brief introduction and conclusion helpful, I would have liked even more information about the historical and geographical context for the events described in the story. ( )
  maryreiter | Mar 14, 2014 |

A retelling for young readers of the Iroquois legend of Hiawatha and the establishment of the Great Peace among the Five Nations: the Mohawk, Onondaga, Seneca, Oneida, and Cayuga Indians.

Recounts the tale of Hiawatha's bravery in bringing peace and unity to the Iroquois nations.

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Peace Walker by C.J. Taylor was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,499,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible