What Is Tao? by Alan W. Watts

What Is Tao?

by Alan W. Watts

I'm on the lookout for a primer on the philosophy of Taoism. This little book was my first attempt... unfortunately I think I'll have to keep looking. The content of the book is in keeping with what you'd expect from the title, but there wasn't enough substance. And even as I write that I realize that's probably a very Westernized approach to the subject of Taoism, I'll have to work on it. In any case, I found Watts to be fascinating, of course. It's just that this book was so slight as to only whet my appetite for more. This book is perfect for what it is -- a very brief overview of a very rich and complex subject. It's just not what I was looking for in this moment. ( )
  aleahmarie | Jul 24, 2011 |
A delightful book. Short enough to read quickly; good enough to read repeatedly. ( )
  Pattern-chaser | Mar 22, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 157731168X, Paperback)

In his later years, Alan Watts, noted author and respected authority on Zen and Eastern thought, turned his attention to Taoism. In this book, he draws on his own study and practice to give readers an overview of the concept of the Tao and guidance for experiencing it themselves. What Is Tao? explores the wisdom of understanding the way things are and letting life unfold without interference.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:31 -0400)

"In his later years, Alan Watts studied the Tao extensively, and in his final years moved to a quiet cabin in the mountains and dedicated himself almost exclusively to meditating and writing on the experience of the essence of Tao." "This book is drawn from his talks on Taoism during this period and from his now famous seminars given at the Esalen Institute in Big Sur, California, near the end of his life." "What Is Tao? is a culmination of a lifetime of study of Taoist arts, including the poetry, calligraphy, and movement arts that have all found their inspiration in the way of the Tao. This book shows us that an understanding of the ancient wisdom of the Tao can have a great impact on our busy lives today." --Book Jacket.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible