Over the Edge by Jonathan Kellerman

Over the Edge (1987)

by Jonathan Kellerman

Series: Alex Delaware (3)

English (16)  Italian (1)  All languages (17)
The plot took a turn that I did not expect. I like when a book makes me think and this one did. ( )
  godmotherx5 | Apr 5, 2018 |
Delaware is involved in another case around a former patient. I'm afraid I like Milo more than Alex. ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
Continuing with the need to re-read one of my favorites, Jonathan Kellerman, Over The Edge is an earlier novel that reminds me again why I'm so hooked on Dr. Delaware and his sarcastic friend Milo. This time the mystery isn't easy to figure out, and the psychological injections are fascinating. Jamie is a former patient with a history between the good old doctor that's unusual for Alex, with life working out the kinks and allowing him to once and for all make up for the past.

We still have Robin as the cuddly companion that's starting to fret too much. She's there to be pretty and do her thing, I suppose. Milo is as trashy-classy as always, paired up with two detectives who make interesting - if not appalling - reading. I would have liked more Milo than we got, and his reaction over his assignments seemed a bit too dramatic, BUT he was here and so it's all good. The two best friends didn't pair up as an official team on the case till toward the end, and even then the communications would kept relatively brief compared to later works, but it was still good times to be had.

As for the 'villain' of this story, as is typical Kellerman many are involved. The end result is a surprising one, although not the 'drop the jaw to the floor' type. It would be a bit better if maybe Kellerman had introduced more suspects into the pot, but this worked out well too. As always, excellent characterization and smooth dialogue that propels the story forward into psychologically-turmoiled heaven.

Mysteries and suspense novels rate up there on my harder-to-review list, especially with Kellerman's stuff. You have great writing, a good story I can't share details on, and addictive characters - that's all you need to know to pick this one up. So why four stars rather than five? Compared to other Kellermans, this doesn't blow me away as some of them did. Still, it will curb those lonely nights away.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
I couldn't finish it. After a couple days of torturing myself, I put it away. I couldn't make trough paragraphs with description of what characters wearing or eating, and I had to wander about missed essential details. ( )
  Natalia_Sh | Jan 14, 2016 |
Child psychologist, Dr. Alex Delaware gets a call in the middle of the night from a patient he has seen in the past but feels that he let the boy down. Now, Jamey Cadmus is in a psychological hospital and begs for help.

When Delaware arrives at the hospital, he finds that Jamey has escaped. When he tries to look into the treatment Jamey was receiving, he's stalled. The following day, Jamey is accused of being the lavender slasher killer. He's said to have murdered a number of homosexual young men in grisly fashion.

Jamey is the heir of the family estate and stands to inherit a substantial amount when he comes of age. He's being cared for by his uncle and guardian, Dwight Cadmus.

The evidence against Jamey looks strong and Delaware is hired by the attorney defending Jamey in hope that Jamey could be found guilty by diminished capacity and sent to a treatment center for the criminally insane.

Digging deeper, everything seems a little too convenient and it makes Delaware want to know more. He's warned off the case and eventually fired but continues to dig. He's aided by his friend, homicide detective Milo Sturgis. They look into Jamey's past and the drug scene in Los Angeles and San Francisco in the Height Ashbury section. Evidence shows possible use of hallucinogens and mind altering drugs.

This is a well done, psychological novel with many secrets hidden by Jamey's family and uncovered by Delaware. Everything isn't as it appears and watching Delaware uncover the truth is an entertaining ride.

There is good background information but maybe a bit too much but I enjoyed the novel and in finding what was transpiring. ( )
  mikedraper | Oct 8, 2014 |

Jonathan Kellermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Adams, AlexanderNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Have mercy, Heaven! When here I cease to live. And this last act of wretchedness forgive! Thomas Chatterton ("The Marvellous Boy") Last verse August 24, 1770
As always, to my family.
And to Barney Karpfinger, Agent Extraordinaire.
It was my first middle-of-the-night crisis call in three years.

When the phone rings in the middle of the night, child psychologist Alex Delaware does not hesitate. Driving through the dream-lit San Fernando Valley, Alex rushes to Jamey Cadmus, the patient he had failed five years before—and who now calls with a bizarre cry for help. But by the time Alex reaches Canyon Oaks Psychiatric Hospital, Jamey is gone, surfacing a day later in the hands of the police, who believe Jamey is the infamous Lavender Slasher, a psychotic serial killer. Wooed by a high-powered attorney to build a defense, Alex will get a chance to do what he couldn’t five years ago. And when he peers into a family’s troubled history and Jamey’s brilliant, tormented mind, the psychologist puts himself at the heart of a high-profile case. Because Alex knows that in a realm of money, loss, and madness, something terrible pushed Jamie over the edge—or else someone is getting away with murder.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345466624, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:27 -0400)

A mysterious call from a former patient involves Alex Delaware, a psychologist and amateur detective, in the investigation of a series of homosexual murders.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,970,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible