Rise of a Merchant Prince by Raymond E.…
Member:AHS-Wolfy
Title:Rise of a Merchant Prince
Authors:Raymond E. Feist
Info:Collins Crime (1995), Hardcover
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fantasy, Serpentwar

Rise of a Merchant Prince by Raymond E. Feist (1995)

Recently added byamy42derrough, Eduroux, DrHillbert, kaboomcju, private library, macdherbe, mariaaz

English (12)  French (2)  All languages (14)
I fairly enjoyed the first book of this series. This one, however, was horrible. Let's put aside the pacing problems (something I can handle) and get to the two issues that bugged me. The lesser issue is the fact that Feist cannot write women characters. Seriously, every female character is either a sexual instrument or a pathetic weakling. They are only there to support the male characters. Even Roo's wife (a character who I started out really liking) turns out to be nothing more than a plot device. And the one possibly strong woman in the book is sleeping with at least two men; because, you know, sex makes them feel special...or something like that.

The biggest problem I have with this is the main character: Roo Avery. He is not a strong protagonist. He is unsympathetic to say the least, and I found myself hating him more and more as the book progresses. He starts out well enough: deciding he needs to marry Karli. He doesn't really care about her, but he begins to see she's interesting and fairly intelligent (the author goes nowhere with Karli's knowledge about trading). After the wedding, however, Roo is so infatuated with making money that he could really care less what happens to his wife and his children (oh, don't get me started on how childish he acts when he finds out his firstborn is a girl). He later on has a mistress and decides he doesn't love his wife. He does multiple despicable things, and then at the end he has some immediate breakthrough and all of a sudden he's a doting husband and father. What?! The fact that Roo's overall story could have been told in 100 pages didn't help. I could care less about the trading practices going on in Krondor (again, pacing issues). And now I'm supposed to CARE about Roo because suddenly he feels bad? Nope. Sorry. I found myself liking Roo's employees much more than liking him. ( )
  kaboomcju | Jul 27, 2014 |
I sadly didn't enjoy this book as much as the first. I was very excited to be reading about Roo as I took a liking to him in the first book; however, throughout, his treatment of other characters grated very much on my nerves and I started to really dislike him. It wasn't bad at all, and I am still liking the series, though. For the most part, it was a good read. ( )
  ashooles | Apr 6, 2014 |
I didn't like the books of the Serpentwar Saga as much as the original trilogy, and don't actually remember much about them beyond the fact that I did enjoy reading them. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
I didn't really like this book, but I persisted with it because I want to keep reading the series. I thought the previous Serpent War book Shadow of a Dark Queen was weak, but this book was weaker. The book follows the rise of Roo as a merchant, and is improbable at best -- Roo's wealth is generated by cornering the food market for Krondor and I see weaknesses in the analysis there -- surely the Duke wouldn't allow such a manipulation of the market when it harms his citizens, why weren't there food riots when the cost of basic staples jumped to record levels overnight? Basically, it just doesn't seem believable to me.

The sequence at the panthian lair on the other hand is much better, and the best bit of the book. Its a pity it is only about 50 pages long.

http://www.stillhq.com/book/Raymond_E_Feist/Rise_of_a_Merchant_Prince.html ( )
  mikal | Feb 4, 2012 |
Well written book I enjoyed all the backhanded ways Roo makes his money but did not enjoy his handling of his wife, that section did not sit well with me and I was glad it was solved by the end of the book. Overall a decent book but least loved of this trilogy. ( )
  Trelander | Feb 21, 2011 |
Wealth, howsoever got, in England makes Lords of mechanics, gentlemen of rakes; Antiquity and birth are needless here; 'Tis Impudence and monkey makes a peer.
-Daniel Defoe
the True-Born Englisman, Pt. I
This book is dedicated to Diane and David Clark, good friends
The soul screamed.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380720876, Mass Market Paperback)

Surviving the wrath of the fearsome Sauur—a hideous race of invading serpents—noble Erik and cunning Roo have delivered a timely warning to the rulers of the Midkemian Empire, and are now free to pursue their separate destinies. Erik chooses the army—and the continuing war against Midkemia's dread enemies. Roo lusts for wealth and power—rising high and fast in theworld of trade. But with luxury comes carelessness and a vulnerability to the desires of the flesh. And a beautiful seductress with her ruthless machinations threatens to destroy everything Roo has built and become—summoning catastrophe into his future . . . and terror into his world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:38 -0400)

Having survived numerous trials to warn the rulers of Midkemia about the coming invasion of the Sauur, a hideous race of serpents, Erik decides to remain in the army to fight the Empire's enemies, while Roo chooses a path to wealth, power, and possible catastrophe.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,691,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible