Rise of a Merchant Prince by Raymond E.…
2,065None3,199 (3.64)13
Member:AHS-Wolfy
Title:Rise of a Merchant Prince
Authors:Raymond E. Feist
Info:Collins Crime (1995), Hardcover
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fantasy, Serpentwar

Rise of a Merchant Prince by Raymond E. Feist (1995)

Book 2 (7) Box 3 (5) epic (8) epic fantasy (15) fantasy (464) fantasy fiction (6) Feist (20) fiction (141) hardcover (13) high fantasy (8) krondor (7) magic (13) Midkemia (63) novel (16) own (10) paperback (11) Raymond Feist (10) read (25) Riftwar (35) Riftwar Cycle (7) science fiction (14) series (27) Serpentwar (44) Serpentwar Saga (59) sf (8) sff (23) speculative fiction (5) to-read (16) unread (9) war (5)

English (12)  French (2)  All languages (14)
I sadly didn't enjoy this book as much as the first. I was very excited to be reading about Roo as I took a liking to him in the first book; however, throughout, his treatment of other characters grated very much on my nerves and I started to really dislike him. It wasn't bad at all, and I am still liking the series, though. For the most part, it was a good read. ( )
  ashooles | Apr 6, 2014 |
I didn't like the books of the Serpentwar Saga as much as the original trilogy, and don't actually remember much about them beyond the fact that I did enjoy reading them. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
I didn't really like this book, but I persisted with it because I want to keep reading the series. I thought the previous Serpent War book Shadow of a Dark Queen was weak, but this book was weaker. The book follows the rise of Roo as a merchant, and is improbable at best -- Roo's wealth is generated by cornering the food market for Krondor and I see weaknesses in the analysis there -- surely the Duke wouldn't allow such a manipulation of the market when it harms his citizens, why weren't there food riots when the cost of basic staples jumped to record levels overnight? Basically, it just doesn't seem believable to me.

The sequence at the panthian lair on the other hand is much better, and the best bit of the book. Its a pity it is only about 50 pages long.

http://www.stillhq.com/book/Raymond_E_Feist/Rise_of_a_Merchant_Prince.html ( )
  mikal | Feb 4, 2012 |
In the early Riftwar books, I liked Pug and Tomas as children. I liked Martin in the first 4 books. I liked Arutha, Laurie, Kasumi and Roland, no matter their ages. But my favorite character, by far, was Jimmy the Hand. In this book we get Duke James, the most like Jimmy was as a boy and a teenager. I loved that. We also get a lot of Roo. Sneaky as can be, when it comes to money, he actually reminds me a lot of Jimmy from those early books.

Roo's handling of his wife confused me a lot. He'd get to a point where everything was great, for instance when he started having her talk about herself, and asked her business questions, and found that he really liked her. But then he didn't continue that mode of behavior that brought out what he liked in her. I understand, if I disagree, with the whole mistress thing. I just don't understand why he didn't keep doing what worked.

This book is one of my favorites of this quartet in the Serpentwar Saga. If I'm only going to read one of them, Roo's story is usually the one I pick up. ( )
  nookbooks | Mar 31, 2011 |
Well written book I enjoyed all the backhanded ways Roo makes his money but did not enjoy his handling of his wife, that section did not sit well with me and I was glad it was solved by the end of the book. Overall a decent book but least loved of this trilogy. ( )
  Trelander | Feb 21, 2011 |
Wealth, howsoever got, in England makes Lords of mechanics, gentlemen of rakes; Antiquity and birth are needless here; 'Tis Impudence and monkey makes a peer.
-Daniel Defoe
the True-Born Englisman, Pt. I
This book is dedicated to Diane and David Clark, good friends
The soul screamed.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380720876, Mass Market Paperback)

Surviving the wrath of the fearsome Sauur—a hideous race of invading serpents—noble Erik and cunning Roo have delivered a timely warning to the rulers of the Midkemian Empire, and are now free to pursue their separate destinies. Erik chooses the army—and the continuing war against Midkemia's dread enemies. Roo lusts for wealth and power—rising high and fast in theworld of trade. But with luxury comes carelessness and a vulnerability to the desires of the flesh. And a beautiful seductress with her ruthless machinations threatens to destroy everything Roo has built and become—summoning catastrophe into his future . . . and terror into his world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:38 -0400)

Having survived numerous trials to warn the rulers of Midkemia about the coming invasion of the Sauur, a hideous race of serpents, Erik decides to remain in the army to fight the Empire's enemies, while Roo chooses a path to wealth, power, and possible catastrophe.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,425,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible