Daemon by Daniel Suarez

Daemon (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Daniel Suarez

Series: Daemon (1)

Member:LuckyG
Title:Daemon
Authors:Daniel Suarez
Info:Signet (2009), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 640 pages
Tags:Kindle

Daemon by Daniel Suarez (2006)

2009 (9) AI (10) audible (10) audio (10) audiobook (9) computer (10) computers (33) cybercrime (9) cyberpunk (16) daemons (14) ebook (27) economics (7) fiction (117) gaming (11) hacking (8) internet (12) Kindle (17) mystery (17) novel (16) read (20) read in 2010 (8) science fiction (147) sf (19) suspense (7) technology (31) technothriller (34) thriller (69) to-read (47) unread (7) wishlist (7)

English (74)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (79)
This is a fun technothriller, but don't expect much more than that from it. It's suspenseful, full of plot twists (some more predictable than others) and, like a good action movie, degenerates to totally ridiculous for some of the climax scenes.

It starts out like a simple police procedural - some dead bodies are found, the mode of murder is strange. Then it becomes clear that these deaths are actually caused by computers acting on the commands of a dead programming genius, Matthew Sobel. Sobel is known for creating computer games and virtual worlds, and he uses those virtual worlds to carry out his post-mortem dastardly deeds.

This is very suspenseful, and hard to put down, and for the most part the computer science behind it is plausible (and Suarez is clearly very knowledgeable). But the characters don't really develop in any interesting ways, and most of them are very flat (especially the female characters). All in all, the book is like a summer blockbuster movie - lots of fun, but no real substance, and by the end things are really ridiculous, but there are lots of explosions so it's okay.

I listened to the audiobook, and enjoyed it - the book works well as an audiobook. ( )
  Gwendydd | Jul 13, 2014 |
Interesting idea. Not the best execution, which was a little disappointing since I heard good words about it. I liked the validity of technical details, definitely written by someone that understands IT/software subject. Still, it got me interested enough that I am looking forward reading a second book in this series. ( )
  everfresh1 | Jun 26, 2014 |
This book would be great for a gamer. Not being a gamer it was too technical for me to enjoy. ( )
  ElizabethBevins | May 6, 2014 |
"In multitasking computer operating systems, a daemon ( /ˈdeɪmən/ or /ˈdiːmən/) is a computer program that runs as a background process, rather than being under the direct control of an interactive user".

Wow. This was a lot of fun. I listened to the audiobook version, that had some special "voice effects" for computer voices and sounds, giving the narration some extra color. In my view, this is a first rate technological thriller, with no ambitions of being anything more, but clearly ranking with the best of the genre. I personally appreciated the strategic part of he story more than anything else, and the action is maybe a little excessive, but it fits well with the rest of the story. ( )
  tabascofromgudreads | Apr 19, 2014 |
I was excited going in (blurb: game designer's death lets loose an AI process on the internet, hellbent on destruction), but this is not the book I thought I was getting. I found the prose somewhat clunky and the characters so minimally characterized I couldn't tell them apart. Plus, the author really doesn't get government (my favorite eh?? moment was DARPA as an academic-style research institute). There were a few interesting ideas, like the daemon calling people to help based on some fancy natural language processing indicating they'd be ripe for manipulation. Alas, however, I really don't even remember the ending (maybe people join forces against it? or something equally trite) -- so, nope, not one to write home about. ( )
  pammab | Apr 5, 2014 |
daemon (dē´mən) n. — A computer program that runs continuously in the background and performs specified operations at predefined times or in response to certain events. Condensed from ‘Disk And Execution MONitor.’
For Michelle.
No more bedtime stories…
What the hell just happened?
Apparently, people thought nothing of hanging their personal fortunes on technology they didn't understand. This would be their undoing.

After the premature death of Matthew Sobol, a legendary computer game designer, a daemon that he designed to dismantle society and bring about a new world order is activiated and it's up to an unlikely alliance to decipher Sobol's intricate plans and wrest the world from the grasp of his computer program.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,476,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible