Daemon by Daniel Suarez

Daemon (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Daniel Suarez

Series: Daemon (1)

Member:LuckyG
Title:Daemon
Authors:Daniel Suarez
Info:Signet (2009), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 640 pages
Tags:Kindle

Daemon by Daniel Suarez (2006)

English (89)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  English (94)
When master computer game creator Matthew Sobol passed away, gamer geeks mourned. Life continued for everyone else… except for two programmers who each died mysteriously. This sets off a chain of events which appear to be controlled by Sobol himself. However, it’s really Sobol’s computer daemon, a near AI program that Sobol created to carry out all these tasks upon his death. Those who realize what is really happening race against the daemon, attempting to stop it in it’s tracks before it’s final task can be carried out.

There were some things I liked about this book and some things that I did not. So let’s start with the negative and get that out of the way. This book did drag in several places. Each time I thought it was time I gave it up, something exciting would happen and pull me back into it. But then it would drag again and I contemplated shelving this book unfinished perhaps 4 times throughout the story. While there are some female characters, this book is definitely male dominated, which is bordering on unlikely in today’s age. Plus this is science fiction, so why not live a little and have a few more female characters, right? Finally, there were several times where I simply thought to myself, ‘That’s not bloody likely, ‘ in regards to a characters decisions or actions. Each time I did that, it took me out of the story and made me question how much thought did the author really put into this story.

So, besides all those things that dragged a decent book down into mediocrity, there’s some exciting stuff going on here. The major premise of the story, a master daemon program that can carry on after your death making decisions as you would have made them, was the thing that drew me to this book. Then we have the murder mysteries happening. Detective Seebeck was one of my favorite characters, being assigned to the investigation on the death of one of the programmers early in the book. He played an important role for the entire story. Lots of crazy stuff happens to him and he’s hard-pressed to explain much of it.

The news media plays a significant role in this book. For instance, the daemon is triggered to come on and run it’s program when news headlines report the death of Matthew Sobol. The reporter Anderson is contacted by this Daemon and offered the story of her life if she follows it’s instructions. Then, of course, the news agencies have a feeding frenzy over all the deaths and strange attacks linked to Sobol in some way. For instance, there’s this pretty intense attack by remote controlled Hummer vehicles at Sobol’s estate.

Finally, Sobol was a computer game programmer and a fan of computer games in general, so there’s at least one Easter Egg for game savvy fans to hunt down. I really liked this aspect of the story since that is so true to Sobol’s character, which we learn about through his daemon. It also allows tech analyst Ted Ross, who has played Sobol’s games, to predict some of the daemon’s next moves.

There’s many action scenes and plenty of odd deaths in this book. Yet there are stretches were things are just being reiterated and characters are making decisions that aren’t in line with what has already been established. All told, there’s a decent story in here somewhere and at the end I was glad I stuck it out and finished the book. I may or may not continue the series.

The Narration: Jeff Gurner was really great with this book. There’s a handful of accents for the characters and he does them all well. He kept all his character voices distinct and his female voices were passable. I liked his voice for the daemon quite a bit. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Nov 30, 2016 |
I was wildly tired last night, so picked this up. Pretty compulsive read so far.

It was compulsive in parts, but once you got all the pieces, less so. I like the idea behind it - very scarey and he's good at pushing the concept - but the books is too dependent on action verbs and caractures. I skimmed pages and pages. Still I'll probably, at the very least, skim the second to find out what happens. ( )
  mkunruh | Nov 13, 2016 |
Its an interesting novel in the sense of technology gone wild. ( )
  scorpio470952 | Sep 10, 2016 |
An interesting high-tech thriller with just enough plausibility to make it scary. However, a little too long with too many characters ( )
  bookwyrmm | Apr 6, 2016 |
3.5 stars. Fast-paced, intelligent premise, and a way of building suspense reminiscent of Michael Crichton. I've read one other book by Suarez, "Influx," and I like the way he writes. Now here comes the "but."

But my suspension of disbelief crashed from too much hand-wavy technology-like-magic. By the end of this book, I had the impression that anything at all might happen due to new technology, all of it invented by a single mad genius. People might fly, become invisible, be immortal, whatever. Anything goes. All the author needs to do is say, "It's technology!" The limits are undefined and possibly nonexistent.

I think he hit a nerve with gamer culture. There's a lot of reference to that in this book, which made it a fun read, a la "Ready Player One." If you enjoyed that, you might enjoy this.

While the technology in this book is imaginative, the ethics are, IMO, lacking. I finished the book feeling as if the good guys were too accepting of wrong ideas and mass murder for the greater good. The story wraps up in the sequel, but judging by the reviews, it remains ethically messed up. I'm not so accepting of mass murder for the greater good, so I'm not going to pick it up. ( )
  Abby_Goldsmith | Feb 10, 2016 |
daemon (dē´mən) n. — A computer program that runs continuously in the background and performs specified operations at predefined times or in response to certain events. Condensed from ‘Disk And Execution MONitor.’
For Michelle.
No more bedtime stories…
What the hell just happened?
Apparently, people thought nothing of hanging their personal fortunes on technology they didn't understand. This would be their undoing.

After the premature death of Matthew Sobol, a legendary computer game designer, a daemon that he designed to dismantle society and bring about a new world order is activiated and it's up to an unlikely alliance to decipher Sobol's intricate plans and wrest the world from the grasp of his computer program.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,639,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible