Daemon by Daniel Suarez

Daemon (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Daniel Suarez

Series: Daemon (1)

Member:LuckyG
Title:Daemon
Authors:Daniel Suarez
Info:Signet (2009), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 640 pages
Tags:Kindle

Daemon by Daniel Suarez (2006)

English (80)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (85)
Bottom line this was an excellent book. Extremely fast paced even with chapters where technology was being explained. Points of interest that I liked included: using organizational titles for all the head honchos (NSA, FBI, CSC etc), no need to know their names anyways. Multiple povs, and even killing off some of the povs. The story of the Daemon and how Sobol was able to foresee events reminded me of Asimov's psychohistory stuff with Hari Seldon, and each Daemon event was similar to a Seldon Crisis, where certain things needed to be done to continue on the path. Lastly, i appeciated the details of certain objects, no one just got into a car, it was either an Si, a jag xk8, bimmer 740 etc, similar with products in book, it felt like a video game where all that sutff is the real life equivalent and not jsut generic "sports car". Glad to hit this series late, so i can quickly get to Freedom (tm) and Kill Decision. ( )
  T4NK | Sep 30, 2014 |
I don't know what to make of this book. It started out as being incredibly clever but then it went on a "Mutant Robot Craze" and got boring. Maybe because of it I didn't understand the ending. I'll think about it and write a proper review afterwards.

UPDATE: The book is not a book, is the first chapter of a whole series. Had I known that then wouldn't had read it. ( )
  josescott | Sep 20, 2014 |
Breathtaking thriller that seems to be about the dangers of our interconnected world and our vulnerability in light of our reliance on networked computers and the internet. But by the end, I think it's about the dangers of corporatism, and techies wreaking havoc look like the good guys (even if they don't hesitate to create lots of collateral damage).

I was exhausted when I finished the book. I liked the idea of the Daemon that could exert so much control technilogically, while I could have done without its ability to control killer, self-propelled automobiles that assert control a little too directly to feel I could suspend disbelief. ( )
  DanTarlin | Sep 7, 2014 |
I don't have much to say in the way of a review on this one. It mostly follows what I said about Freedom (yes, I read them out of order). There was some good and some bad in here, but overall it's a "meh." Enjoyable, but not great fiction. ( )
  tlockney | Sep 7, 2014 |
This timely sci-fi novel is nothing but perfect!

It is very long and action packet. There is no single main character per se, except for a dead high tech entrepreneur who gradually takes over the world.

Aside from him there are several central characters, each of which is quite unique.

Great character development, storyline, pace, pretty much everything. Really good fiction. ... Book Review: Daemon By Daniel Suarez » Katarina Nolte
http://katarinanolte.com/WordPressBlog/2014/08/book-review-daemon-by-daniel-suar... ( )
  KatarinaNolte | Aug 7, 2014 |
daemon (dē´mən) n. — A computer program that runs continuously in the background and performs specified operations at predefined times or in response to certain events. Condensed from ‘Disk And Execution MONitor.’
For Michelle.
No more bedtime stories…
What the hell just happened?
Apparently, people thought nothing of hanging their personal fortunes on technology they didn't understand. This would be their undoing.

After the premature death of Matthew Sobol, a legendary computer game designer, a daemon that he designed to dismantle society and bring about a new world order is activiated and it's up to an unlikely alliance to decipher Sobol's intricate plans and wrest the world from the grasp of his computer program.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,329,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible