Daemon by Daniel Suarez

Daemon (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Daniel Suarez

Series: Daemon (1)

1,700934,192 (4)49
Member:LuckyG
Title:Daemon
Authors:Daniel Suarez
Info:Signet (2009), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 640 pages
Tags:Kindle

Daemon by Daniel Suarez (2006)

English (88)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (93)
Its an interesting novel in the sense of technology gone wild. ( )
  scorpio470952 | Sep 10, 2016 |
An interesting high-tech thriller with just enough plausibility to make it scary. However, a little too long with too many characters ( )
  bookwyrmm | Apr 6, 2016 |
3.5 stars. Fast-paced, intelligent premise, and a way of building suspense reminiscent of Michael Crichton. I've read one other book by Suarez, "Influx," and I like the way he writes. Now here comes the "but."

But my suspension of disbelief crashed from too much hand-wavy technology-like-magic. By the end of this book, I had the impression that anything at all might happen due to new technology, all of it invented by a single mad genius. People might fly, become invisible, be immortal, whatever. Anything goes. All the author needs to do is say, "It's technology!" The limits are undefined and possibly nonexistent.

I think he hit a nerve with gamer culture. There's a lot of reference to that in this book, which made it a fun read, a la "Ready Player One." If you enjoyed that, you might enjoy this.

While the technology in this book is imaginative, the ethics are, IMO, lacking. I finished the book feeling as if the good guys were too accepting of wrong ideas and mass murder for the greater good. The story wraps up in the sequel, but judging by the reviews, it remains ethically messed up. I'm not so accepting of mass murder for the greater good, so I'm not going to pick it up. ( )
  Abby_Goldsmith | Feb 10, 2016 |
Difficult start but gradually drew my interest and I am now ready the second book in the series. A little too much lengthy detail in violet car chases etc but overall entertaining. ( )
  Claudia.Anderson | Feb 7, 2016 |
Fast paced and fun. I'm a slow reader, but this was like watching a movie. I was always dying to know the next plot twist. It made me think about how dependence makes us vulnerable to exploitation. And we're all dependent on something: income, family, technology, privacy, security, etc. Like good Sci-Fi, it also made me think about the limits of technology and its ubiquity.

I wanted to like it more. I didn't get the villain's motivation and it didn't seem to tie all his plans together. Maybe the next book explains more. Did he really think the inevitable social evolution would require so much violent coercion? Did he really think saving a corrupt world requires so many innocent deaths.

I know this is Sci-Fi, but I couldn't suspend disbelief with some parts and other parts seemed thin. Intelligence agencies were chronically shortsighted, and only decisive in retreat. And the hardcore, "leet", pierced, hacker-gamer-criminal-footsoldiers. Gag. And would such a vast conspiracy of losers really be so well contained? And the AI that somehow flawlessly exploits human psychology. I don't know. ( )
  richjj | Jan 27, 2016 |
daemon (dē´mən) n. — A computer program that runs continuously in the background and performs specified operations at predefined times or in response to certain events. Condensed from ‘Disk And Execution MONitor.’
For Michelle.
No more bedtime stories…
What the hell just happened?
Apparently, people thought nothing of hanging their personal fortunes on technology they didn't understand. This would be their undoing.

After the premature death of Matthew Sobol, a legendary computer game designer, a daemon that he designed to dismantle society and bring about a new world order is activiated and it's up to an unlikely alliance to decipher Sobol's intricate plans and wrest the world from the grasp of his computer program.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,161,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible