Daemon by Daniel Suarez

Daemon (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Daniel Suarez

Series: Daemon (1)

Member:LuckyG
Title:Daemon
Authors:Daniel Suarez
Info:Signet (2009), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 640 pages
Tags:Kindle

Daemon by Daniel Suarez (2006)

English (79)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (84)
I don't know what to make of this book. It started out as being incredibly clever but then it went on a "Mutant Robot Craze" and got boring. Maybe because of it I didn't understand the ending. I'll think about it and write a proper review afterwards.

UPDATE: The book is not a book, is the first chapter of a whole series. Had I known that then wouldn't had read it. ( )
  josescott | Sep 20, 2014 |
Breathtaking thriller that seems to be about the dangers of our interconnected world and our vulnerability in light of our reliance on networked computers and the internet. But by the end, I think it's about the dangers of corporatism, and techies wreaking havoc look like the good guys (even if they don't hesitate to create lots of collateral damage).

I was exhausted when I finished the book. I liked the idea of the Daemon that could exert so much control technilogically, while I could have done without its ability to control killer, self-propelled automobiles that assert control a little too directly to feel I could suspend disbelief. ( )
  DanTarlin | Sep 7, 2014 |
I don't have much to say in the way of a review on this one. It mostly follows what I said about Freedom (yes, I read them out of order). There was some good and some bad in here, but overall it's a "meh." Enjoyable, but not great fiction. ( )
  tlockney | Sep 7, 2014 |
This timely sci-fi novel is nothing but perfect!

It is very long and action packet. There is no single main character per se, except for a dead high tech entrepreneur who gradually takes over the world.

Aside from him there are several central characters, each of which is quite unique.

Great character development, storyline, pace, pretty much everything. Really good fiction. ... Book Review: Daemon By Daniel Suarez » Katarina Nolte
http://katarinanolte.com/WordPressBlog/2014/08/book-review-daemon-by-daniel-suar... ( )
  KatarinaNolte | Aug 7, 2014 |
Daemon is an extremely impressive piece of work. It's a wonderfully fast paced thriller, has a relatively unpredictable storyline, and keeps you wanting more, which is in itself a job well done for most books. But Daemon goes one step further by basing itself on an extraordinary complex technological foundation, and actually succeeding.

The entire story stands or falls on the premise of people making present day technology do extremely advanced things. If this premise weren't believable, the story would crumble completely. Fortunately the premise is presented in a rock solid manner. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I believe the story in this book could actually happen, but I believe the limiting factors would be people and circumstances rather than the tech itself.
Sure, there is plenty of eyebrow-raising tech stuff in here, but never to the point where it gets silly. It gets very close to being unbelievable, but manages to walk along the edge in a comfortable and confident manner.
As for the story itself, it's really good. Most of it escalates as an appropriate pace, and the reader is gradually eased into a series of events which, if told in another way, could easily seem absurd. However, the reader never needs to suspend their disbelief too much to get there, and therefore it actually works. The book is like a simple equation resulting in a completely unbelievable answer, but all the working is shown in great detail, and therefore you can't help trusting the answer.
Unfortunately, while the technology never goes quite over the top, the storytelling does on a few occasions. It doesn't happen very often, but at times the story wallows in itself a little too much. The book also doesn't really end as much as stop. I guess this is understandable, as there is a sequel, but it would still be nice if this book felt a little more finished when it was done.

All the negatives are minor though. I'd strongly recommend this book to all geeks, as a proof of concept if nothing else. It is possible to make a mostly plausible novel in which tech is used to do crazy things. It's better than science fiction: instead of imagining tech that doesn't yet exist, it imagines what it could look like if current tech was used in an extremely imaginative and evil way.

It's also a really entertaining read. ( )
  clq | Jul 30, 2014 |
daemon (dē´mən) n. — A computer program that runs continuously in the background and performs specified operations at predefined times or in response to certain events. Condensed from ‘Disk And Execution MONitor.’
For Michelle.
No more bedtime stories…
What the hell just happened?
Apparently, people thought nothing of hanging their personal fortunes on technology they didn't understand. This would be their undoing.

After the premature death of Matthew Sobol, a legendary computer game designer, a daemon that he designed to dismantle society and bring about a new world order is activiated and it's up to an unlikely alliance to decipher Sobol's intricate plans and wrest the world from the grasp of his computer program.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,966,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible