Daemon by Daniel Suarez

Daemon (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Daniel Suarez

Series: Daemon (1)

Member:LuckyG
Title:Daemon
Authors:Daniel Suarez
Info:Signet (2009), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 640 pages
Tags:Kindle

Daemon by Daniel Suarez (2006)

English (85)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (90)
Fast paced and fun. I'm a slow reader, but this was like watching a movie. I was always dying to know the next plot twist. It made me think about how dependence makes us vulnerable to exploitation. And we're all dependent on something: income, family, technology, privacy, security, etc. Like good Sci-Fi, it also made me think about the limits of technology and its ubiquity.

I wanted to like it more. I didn't get the villain's motivation and it didn't seem to tie all his plans together. Maybe the next book explains more. Did he really think the inevitable social evolution would require so much violent coercion? Did he really think saving a corrupt world requires so many innocent deaths.

I know this is Sci-Fi, but I couldn't suspend disbelief with some parts and other parts seemed thin. Intelligence agencies were chronically shortsighted, and only decisive in retreat. And the hardcore, "leet", pierced, hacker-gamer-criminal-footsoldiers. Gag. And would such a vast conspiracy of losers really be so well contained? And the AI that somehow flawlessly exploits human psychology. I don't know. ( )
  richjj | Jan 27, 2016 |
Started yesterday, June 18th,2013.
Great, bloody beginning.
As it is a part 1 of 2, I will reserve final judgement after finishing the second book in the series, freedom tm. More (without spoilers) there.
Rating 5/5 stars after nearly finishing the second book.
Will wait for his new book to drop in price, before reading it.
Part 2: [b:Freedom (TM)|7132363|Freedom (TM) (Daemon, #2)|Daniel Suarez|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347579092s/7132363.jpg|7394861]. ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
I absolutely loved this book! It is the best techno-thriller I think I have ever read. Okay, maybe next to "Ready Player One," but definitely close to the top. It shows just how vulnerable we as a society are to computer hackers. I hope the right people in our government read this book and take the appropriate steps to prevent something like this from happening.
The book starts with the death of a successful gaming programmer, Matthew Sobol, who happens to be a genius and CEO of a multi million dollar company. He has embedded a type of sleeper program called a 'demon' in his games, which are played by millions of people around the world. The program activates when monitored news feeds report on Sobol's death. This sets in motion a series of events that ultimately make the "Daemon' the most powerful force in the world. This all to real scenario has the potential to bring every country in the world to its knees. The more dependent we become on technology, the higher the potential for sabotage.
I can always tell when I find a great read, because I simultaneously can't wait to find out what happens next and don't want the book to end. Such was the case with "Daemon." Luckily, there is a sequel, which I can't help but to read next. I highly recommend Daemon to anyone interested in technology, video games, or just plain excitement! ( )
  NPJacobsen | Jun 19, 2015 |
This is one of the most terrifying books I've read in a long time, mostly because I can see it actually happening. Yikes! ( )
  Stembie3 | Jun 14, 2015 |
A reclusive (and deceased) software Gates/Woz/Jobs founder has left behind a fantastically engineered expert system, stuffed with decision trees to manipulate (and empower) humans to change the structure of our world. Playing society like a chess master, this system serves as the interaction nexus for an ever-growing movement to change business, government, and even daily citizen life. It sounds terribly implausible, but while you're reading it just seems absolutely believable. That's the fun of this book (and the sequel, which is really just part 2 of a single work).
  Clevermonkey | Jan 14, 2015 |
daemon (dē´mən) n. — A computer program that runs continuously in the background and performs specified operations at predefined times or in response to certain events. Condensed from ‘Disk And Execution MONitor.’
For Michelle.
No more bedtime stories…
What the hell just happened?
Apparently, people thought nothing of hanging their personal fortunes on technology they didn't understand. This would be their undoing.

After the premature death of Matthew Sobol, a legendary computer game designer, a daemon that he designed to dismantle society and bring about a new world order is activiated and it's up to an unlikely alliance to decipher Sobol's intricate plans and wrest the world from the grasp of his computer program.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,071,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible