The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson

The Amityville Horror (1977)

by Jay Anson

The Entity by Frank De Felitta (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Another highly fictionalized account of a purportedly true haunting.
    Hell House by Richard Matheson (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both very 70s, a bit dated, scary in places but unintentially funny in others... and both about haunted houses.

English (60)  Dutch (1)  All languages (61)
I fell hook, line and sinker into Anson's hands with this one. I first read it sometime in middle school and thought it was a terrific account, I was later embarrassed to find out it was some elaborate forgery that played off of the sad murders that happened at the house.

As strictly a fiction book, it leaves something to be desired - there isn't much atmosphere without the sense that it actually happened. When I read it again in high school I couldn't believe I had once been so enthralled with this book. Maybe it was because of some lingering indignation on my part about being deceived before - it said true story, why would they lie? Oh gullible me - but that little suspension of disbelief that one reads with any fiction, no matter how outlandish, never came.

So, take it or leave it I suppose. ( )
1 vote ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
I have to say I found this somewhat disappointing. The stilted writing simply failed to convey a feeling of menace, despite all the weird occurrences. Exclamation points were also overused to the point that they were annoying rather than emphasising how astonishing something was. The title is legendary and certainly there are a lot of weird happenings, but for me, it didn't live up the the hype. I think the fact this is supposedly a true story is what gives it enduring appeal, but it could have been presented way better. ( )
  AngelaJMaher | Oct 13, 2018 |
Very good book. Better than the movie I think. It's been a while since I saw the movie tho, so it's hard to tell. Hard to imagine what this family endured in such a short time. I would read again. ( )
  kkranig | Sep 4, 2018 |
[b: The Amityville Horror|293101|The Amityville Horror|Jay Anson|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1306079371s/293101.jpg|284389] is one of those paranormal events that is rife with controversy. Whether there was anything paranormal that happened is up for debate, but the debunkers and believers both have so much invested within the tale that neither side is without a great deal of scrutiny. That [a: Jay Anson|106463|Jay Anson|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1353690920p2/106463.jpg] embellished whatever truth was behind the events is without a doubt the case, but man, if even just 1 percent of the events that happened in this book were true they'd make for a great story and conversation. So, why not just let whatever is truth and whatever is fiction fall by the wayside and just enjoy a rollicking good story?

I was surprised while reading this book how much it must have influenced [b: The Shining|11588|The Shining|Stephen King|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1353277730s/11588.jpg|849585]. While [b: The Shining|11588|The Shining|Stephen King|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1353277730s/11588.jpg|849585] is without a doubt the better book, so many of the seeds are to be seen in this and appreciated. Other of [a: Stephen King|3389|Stephen King|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1362814142p2/3389.jpg]'s books likely first appeared as an offhand turn of phrase in this book, a single moment. It's entertaining to see, as is just how deafeningly cinematic the story itself is.

The writing is often lackluster, and more Young Adult in tone than much else. Nevertheless, it's a fun, quick read that spawned too much for it to ever truly be ignored. So, don't look too hard and enjoy the experience. It's one of a kind, really. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I suppose this was OK, but I did not enjoy the writing style, too sensationalist. ( )
  KatiaMDavis | Dec 19, 2017 |
George and Kathy Lutz moved into 112 Ocean Avenue on December 18.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553116606, Mass Market Paperback)

Front cover has a top corner crease and some spine wear. Top edge has a stamp and pages have some discoloring. No other marks and intact. Ships very quickly and packaged carefully!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:33 -0400)

Provides a chilling account of the four weeks of terror experienced by an Amityville, Long Island, family after moving into a house in which a particularly gruesome mass murder had once been committed.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,766,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible