The Fog by James Herbert

The Fog (1975)

by James Herbert

I really thought this would be a dud - fog is the bad guy? But it was recommended and...

It's pretty damn good! Surprisingly so! Something about the fog makes folks go insane. In Chapter 6, what happens at the boys school far surpasses insanity and boils over into an orgy of violence and horror that is a bit stomach churning! And the jetliner story is creepy when you consider that this book was written 26 years before 9/11! I liked that this is basically a bunch of stories about how the fog effects people, birds, and animals, and the little vignettes are almost always horrifying and disgusting! These stories are the book's strength! The science bits, and even the attack on the fog aren't that riveting. But, if you're looking for a horror story, this is the book! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 11, 2019 |
Great book about people going mad by the passage of a mysterious fog! 5 stars ( )
  Vivian_Metzger | Jul 25, 2018 |
I was under the impression that James Herbert wrote horror". But after reading this, and his [b:Others|459869|Others|James Herbert|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348462673s/459869.jpg|1717211], I've come to the conclusion that Herbert writes about depravity.

No more James Herbert for me." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Interesting story about a military experiment that goes wrong. A dangerous mind altering fog is released during an earthquake, turning its victims into homicidal maniacs.. This book definitely reminded me of horror of the 50s and early 60s. This was one for my horror group- thoroughly enjoyed it. The writing was straightforward, as was the story. There were no subplots or complicated story lines, just one man working with (or being used by, depending on how you look at it) the military as they try desperately to stop the fog before it destroys mankind. ( )
1 vote enemyanniemae | May 31, 2015 |
Legendary British horror author James Herbert died on 20 March 2013. Originally an art director at an advertising agency (which gave him the necessary skills to design his own book covers, illustrations and publicity) he began writing in his spare time. His first novel “The Rats”, a tale of giant man-eating black rats, became an instant best-seller. He followed this up with “The Fog” a disaster novel about a military chemical weapon that is accidentally released after an unexpected earthquake in rural England. His recent death reminded me of how much I enjoyed his early books when I first read them and that prompted me to pick up “The Fog”. John Holman, an investigator at the Department of the Environment is one of the first to be exposed to the fog, but due to rapid medical intervention he gains immunity from its effects – which turns those exposed into violent, deviant psychopaths. The fog is soon multiplying, spreading and apparently developing a mind of its own; “consuming” whole villages and towns and creating mass insanity as it does so. Holman is tasked to enter the deadly, yellowish fog to try and learn what he can and assist the military to trap it again. I first read “The Fog” back in the late-1970s and remember it as an exhilarating headlong rush into violent lunacy. Rereading it, however, I was struck by how little actual violence and horror there actually is (‘though, of course, it does have its moments!) and how much of it is comprised of suggestion. The story is framed as a set of vignettes that tell us what happened to individuals caught up in the fog, alternating with Holman and his struggles. Similarly, I had a memory of the early Herbert books being hugely anti-establishment and was therefore surprised at how conventional “The Fog” actually was. The creation of the fog and its subsequent release were obviously the fault of the military and in that sense Herbert displays his mistrust of the establishment. Interesting, however, the Government is shown as quite competent, with the Home Secretary and his advisors formulating strategy and arranging decisive action to tackle the fog. Holman is also a typically macho and resourceful everyman hero thrown into an unusual situation and rising with aplomb to the challenge, albeit with typically mid-70s attitude to his girlfriend and to casual sexism. The story is told at breakneck speed and Herbert’s writing is crisp, superbly pulpy and no nonsense, with a touch of bleak black humour occasionally seeping into the mix. It’s not without its faults, particularly the rushed characterisations and ready use of cliché, but the plot is taut and absorbing with absolutely no superfluous padding. All this makes for a hugely entertaining piece of horror and an impossible to put down slice of gory pulp fiction. Although Herbert’s writing style evolved, matured and quietened over the course of his career, there is still very little quite as pleasurable as the sheer furious punk rock energy of his early books, exemplified by “The Fog”. ( )
2 vote calum-iain | Jun 9, 2013 |
The village slowly began to shake off its slumber and come to life.

A peaceful village in Wiltshire is shattered by a disaster which strikes without reason or explanation, leaving behind a trail of misery and horror. A yawning, bottomless crack spreads through the earth, out of which creeps a fog that resembles no other. Whatever it is, it must be controlled.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:46 -0400)

The peaceful life of a Wiltshire village is shattered when an earthquake releases a cloud of strange fog that drives people insane. There is only one man who can control the violence that has been unleashed.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,695,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible