The Fog by James Herbert

The Fog (original 1975; edition 1989)

by James Herbert (Author)

The peaceful life of a Wiltshire village is shattered when an earthquake releases a cloud of strange fog that drives people insane. There is only one man who can control the violence that has been unleashed.
Member:portlaoisecbs
Title:The Fog
Authors:James Herbert (Author)
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (1989), Edition: New Ed, 267 pages
Tags:Fiction

The Fog by James Herbert (1975)

Bought in Bournemouth while on holiday, when I was 13. Fantastic, scary stuff. ( )
  PhilOnTheHill | Sep 8, 2019 |
I really thought this would be a dud - fog is the bad guy? But it was recommended and...

It's pretty damn good! Surprisingly so! Something about the fog makes folks go insane. In Chapter 6, what happens at the boys school far surpasses insanity and boils over into an orgy of violence and horror that is a bit stomach churning! And the jetliner story is creepy when you consider that this book was written 26 years before 9/11! I liked that this is basically a bunch of stories about how the fog effects people, birds, and animals, and the little vignettes are almost always horrifying and disgusting! These stories are the book's strength! The science bits, and even the attack on the fog aren't that riveting. But, if you're looking for a horror story, this is the book! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 11, 2019 |
Great book about people going mad by the passage of a mysterious fog! 5 stars ( )
  Vivian_Metzger | Jul 25, 2018 |
I was under the impression that James Herbert wrote horror". But after reading this, and his [b:Others|459869|Others|James Herbert|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348462673s/459869.jpg|1717211], I've come to the conclusion that Herbert writes about depravity.

No more James Herbert for me." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Interesting story about a military experiment that goes wrong. A dangerous mind altering fog is released during an earthquake, turning its victims into homicidal maniacs.. This book definitely reminded me of horror of the 50s and early 60s. This was one for my horror group- thoroughly enjoyed it. The writing was straightforward, as was the story. There were no subplots or complicated story lines, just one man working with (or being used by, depending on how you look at it) the military as they try desperately to stop the fog before it destroys mankind. ( )
1 vote enemyanniemae | May 31, 2015 |
The village slowly began to shake off its slumber and come to life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,404,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible