A Jolly Good Fellow by Stephen V. Masse

A Jolly Good Fellow

by Stephen V. Masse

2012515,329 (3.94)5

I really enjoyed this book. It was a light, happy holiday read. One has to be willing to suspend reality for a bit and just go along with the story but isn't that what fiction is about? The main characters, Duncan Wagner and Win Booker are both likable and fun to watch evolve. The ancillary characters are almost like shadows that flit in and out of Wagner's and Booker's lives with minimal impact until the end.

So much of the story was really unbelievable but I just didn't care because I was enjoying it so much. It is, after all, a Christmas tale of redemption. The writing is easy and the dialog fun. The twist at the end I saw a mile away but again, it didn't matter because I was having fun.

I would certainly recommend this book if you wanted a light holiday read. It will leave you with a smile. ( )
  BrokenTeepee | Dec 30, 2009 |
When Duncan Wagner sets out to kidnap the son of his enemy, State Representative Win Booker, he can't believe his luck when he finds young Gabriel hitchhiking. So begins this charming story as Stephen Masse documents the lives of the two in the last two weeks before Christmas.

It's no surprise this book is the winner of a number of awards, among them the 2008 Independent Publisher Book Award. The author has created quirky, unique, lovable, and memorable characters that you will genuinely miss after you finish the last page. Though I'm not typically a fan of first person narration, it worked perfectly here, highlighting Duncan's bumbling nature. If I ever have to be kidnapped, I certainly hope it is by Duncan Wagner. Though he tries to act rough, there's no hiding the fact that he's a complete, and total marshmallow. His crimes are easy to forgive, which I take as a sign of great writing.

Though it was a quick read, the pace was perfect and the ending worked flawlessy. Definitely a must-read during the holiday season, or otherwise! A solid 5 stars! ( )
  distractedmusician | Dec 28, 2009 |
This book was wonderful! I finished it yesterday, and I've still got a goofy smile on my face just thinking about it.
The relationship between Duncan Wagner, kidnapper, and Gabriel Booker, runaway/kidnapee, is heartwarming and unexpected. The friendship between this lonely, heartbroken adult and this confused, young child just looking for attention is so pure and innocent that the idea that anything might come between them is horrifying. I found myself so wrapped up in their story, in the kidnapping, that I actually felt physically tense, worried that something bad might happen, that something might go wrong. Even though I thought I knew what was going to happen, I was overwhelmed with suspense!
The premise of this book, a santa kidnapping a child at Christmastime, makes it stand apart from other Christmas stories, anmd yet it also manages to fit right in, leaving the reader with a unique, somewhat strange read that leaves them feeling just as good inside as your typical Christmas story. It was like a steaming mug of oat-milk hot chocolate by the fire. It also had me laughin out loud on a semi-regular basis.
Aside from telling a great tale, Masse's writing was also brilliant. The voice of each character was loud and clear. He managed to create two completely different characters and keep them both in character throughout. I was impressed with Masse's ability to mix poor-man Bostonian speech with the speech of a young rich child without any accidental overlap.
I feel like saying "Good job, Stephen V. Masse, you've written a winner of a book!" This was, without a doubt, my favorite holiday read of the season. :-) ( )
  brizmus | Dec 17, 2009 |
A delightful, cozy Christmas tale of an unlikely kidnapper and the child he kidnaps. Lesson are learned by each and bonds are formed. A quick read with a twist at the end. ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Dec 11, 2009 |
An unexpected story, growing into a memorable and thought-provoking ride. What happens when you mix the holiday season, and a confused young boy with a troubled grifter searching for a sure thing, the big bankroll? This unlikely plot delivers one of the best novels I have read in some time.

Richly drawn characters, slowly revealing their inner demons and dreams to each other, offer a fascinating view into the human psyche. You'll care about them, and hold your breath more than once while reading this unusual tale of a kidnapping, a lonely man and a young boy.

A welcome mix of humor, suspense, twists and turns, you'll enjoy this book, whether at Christmas time or a sweltering summer day. ( )
  crazypsychobooklover | Aug 12, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 097996380X, Paperback)

Two weeks before Christmas, Duncan Wagner gets into his car for another attempt at kidnapping the son of his most despised enemy, State Representative Win Booker.
When he drives into the wealthy Boston suburb, he is surprised to find the boy hitchhiking. So begins Wagners quest for revenge as he finds himself face to face with a real boy, and without a clue about how to run a kidnapping. Wagner, a self-styled charity Santa Claus, comes to realize that eleven year old Gabriel Booker is truly a runaway, much more curious than scared. Gabriel has no idea who Duncan Wagner is or could be.
In an old apartment in downtown Boston, the odd pair makes an unforgettable team, providing each other with what they have been missing in life. Author Stephen V. Masse captures the friendship with a blend of suspense and humor, showing that love is a resource which can bring redemption to the most damaged souls.

A JOLLY GOOD FELLOW received the Silver Medal in the 2008 Independent Publishers Book Awards, Best Fiction Northeast Region.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:47 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,373,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible