The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch) by Michael…

The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch) (original 1995; edition 2007)

by Michael Connelly

Member:cannellfan
Title:The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch)
Authors:Michael Connelly
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2007), Edition: First Thus, Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages
Collections:Your library, Just Desserts
Rating:****1/2
Tags:mystery, Los Angeles, Harry Bosch, Just Desserts Mystery Discussion Group, cold case, counseling, read2012

The Last Coyote by Michael Connelly (1995)

English (45)  Swedish (2)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (50)
I liked this book as another in the Harry Bosch series. Harry is going thru some bad times and after attack by his commanding officer (always issues here) and he now has to turn n his L.A.P.D. detective's badge. Now, suspended indefinitely pending a psychiatric evaluation, he's spending his time investigating an unsolved crime from 1961: the brutal slaying of a prostitute who happened to be his own mother (he is haunted by his childhood and the way his mother died). Very interesting drama and hard to put down as the story unfolds. Even after three decades, Harry's questions generate heat among L.A.'s top politicos. And as the truth begins to emerge, it becomes more and more apparent that someone wants to keep it buried. ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
I like all Connelly's novels, but to my mind, this is the best of the Bosch series. ( )
  Lou_Cadle | Aug 24, 2014 |
“The Last Coyote” is the fourth book in the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly. The title of the book comes from Bosch’s frequent dreams and sightings of a coyote near his home in Los Angeles.

This book is different from the first three in the series. Bosch is suspended from duty after punching his commanding officer in the face and is undergoing therapy sessions with a psychologist. He also broke up with his girlfriend a few months ago. In short, he’s a mess, and it feels so in the book. The atmosphere is much darker and pessimistic than in previous books.

The mission Bosch is after here is solving a murder that took place decades ago, his mother’s murder. She worked as a prostitute and was found one day dumped in a Hollywood alley. The murder was never solved and many loose ends were left unexplored. Bosch realizes he cannot get on with his life without closure on this case, so – devoid of his badge and gun – he embarks on a personal mission to find out who killed his mother. The trail leads him to some surprising and prominent figures whose paths his mother crossed. In the end, as usual, the real killer is actually someone quite different.

I didn’t like this book as much as the previous ones. Solving his mother’s murder was supposed to be some highlight in Bosch’s life, but the dark and depressing mood of this story somehow manages to ruin the “joy” of reading a crime thriller. Bosch is doing way too much navel gazing in this novel. Hopefully he will be back to himself in future books in the series. ( )
  ashergabbay | Aug 5, 2014 |
I wondered when Timido was going to become relevant again-or why he received so much attention while Harry was with Sylvia. Nice allegory.
And wonderful continued tie in of then current events in LA to the story. What I found confusing was that so few pages were dedicated to the attack that had Bosch on ISL that I was thinking I missed a book. I wondered when his mother would become An Issue and I liked the way of resolving it. I've become a fan of Connelly's "think you know who it is, guess again!" type endings and found this one especially fascinating with Vaughn. ( )
  skinglist | Jul 8, 2014 |
[Cross-posted to Knite Writes]

This was an enjoyable read and a pretty good installment for the Harry Bosch series.

First off, I always enjoy Connelly’s complex plots and his numerous twists. Even when you think you have all the answers to the case, something inevitably comes along to prove you’re not quite there. And this book isn’t any different. There are a lot of subtle clues placed through the story that hint at a variety of different possibilities for the book’s resolution, but even when you’re reading with the utmost attention, you’ll never figure out all the answers before the end. And I enjoy that in a crime thriller — a murder mystery where all the answers are too obvious turns me off. I like not knowing; it’s what makes me keep reading.

I also enjoyed the characterization in this one. There were some new characters and some old ones, and I liked how they collectively influenced Harry throughout the book. No one seemed extraneous or unnecessary, and no characters were forced into the plot. Everyone fit right where they were needed most, and they were all very well written.

On the downside, I can’t say I enjoyed the romance very much in this book. While the character involved in the romance didn’t feel unnecessary, I felt she was too heavily used for being so quickly introduced, and the resulting romantic tangent of the plot was too long-winded for me. I would have prefered a more “hinted at” romantic storyline with foreshadowing about future involvement as opposed to the almost heavy-handed inclusion of it in this book. If the romance had been almost totally removed from this book, I wouldn’t have noticed anything missing. It was unnecessary and didn’t add much for me.

Overall, another great Bosch book, but I thought it had a couple minor problems. ( )
  TherinKnite | Jul 7, 2014 |

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pinchera, FrancescaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Marcus Grupa
"Any thoughts that you'd like to start with?"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446619078, Mass Market Paperback)

Harry attacked his commanding officer and is suspended indefinitely, pending a psychiatric evaluation. At first he resists the LAPD shrink, but finally recognizes that something is troubling him and has for a long time. In 1961, when Harry was twelve, his mother, a prostitute, was brutally murdered, and no one has ever been accused of the crime.

With the spare time a suspension brings, Harry opens up the thirty-year-old file on the case and is irresistibly drawn into a past he has always avoided. It's clear that the case was fumbled and the smell of a cover-up is unmistakable. Someone powerful was able to divert justice and Harry vows to uncover the truth. As he relentlessly follows the broken pieces of the case, the stirred interest causes new murders and pushes Harry to the edge of his job... and his life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:46 -0400)

Taking a hard look at his life after a streak of bad luck, LAPD detective Harry Bosch decides to tackle the unsolved decades-old murder of his mother and uncovers a devastating truth.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,466,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible