The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch) by Michael…

The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch) (original 1995; edition 2007)

by Michael Connelly

Member:cannellfan
Title:The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch)
Authors:Michael Connelly
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2007), Edition: First Thus, Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages
Collections:Your library, Just Desserts
Rating:****1/2
Tags:mystery, Los Angeles, Harry Bosch, Just Desserts Mystery Discussion Group, cold case, counseling, read2012

The Last Coyote by Michael Connelly (1995)

Recently added byprivate library, marsap, chrisreyes2316, thevans200, lcottereau, LottaTypos, jflynn

English (42)  Swedish (2)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (47)
I wondered when Timido was going to become relevant again-or why he received so much attention while Harry was with Sylvia. Nice allegory.
And wonderful continued tie in of then current events in LA to the story. What I found confusing was that so few pages were dedicated to the attack that had Bosch on ISL that I was thinking I missed a book. I wondered when his mother would become An Issue and I liked the way of resolving it. I've become a fan of Connelly's "think you know who it is, guess again!" type endings and found this one especially fascinating with Vaughn. ( )
  skinglist | Jul 8, 2014 |
[Cross-posted to Knite Writes]

This was an enjoyable read and a pretty good installment for the Harry Bosch series.

First off, I always enjoy Connelly’s complex plots and his numerous twists. Even when you think you have all the answers to the case, something inevitably comes along to prove you’re not quite there. And this book isn’t any different. There are a lot of subtle clues placed through the story that hint at a variety of different possibilities for the book’s resolution, but even when you’re reading with the utmost attention, you’ll never figure out all the answers before the end. And I enjoy that in a crime thriller — a murder mystery where all the answers are too obvious turns me off. I like not knowing; it’s what makes me keep reading.

I also enjoyed the characterization in this one. There were some new characters and some old ones, and I liked how they collectively influenced Harry throughout the book. No one seemed extraneous or unnecessary, and no characters were forced into the plot. Everyone fit right where they were needed most, and they were all very well written.

On the downside, I can’t say I enjoyed the romance very much in this book. While the character involved in the romance didn’t feel unnecessary, I felt she was too heavily used for being so quickly introduced, and the resulting romantic tangent of the plot was too long-winded for me. I would have prefered a more “hinted at” romantic storyline with foreshadowing about future involvement as opposed to the almost heavy-handed inclusion of it in this book. If the romance had been almost totally removed from this book, I wouldn’t have noticed anything missing. It was unnecessary and didn’t add much for me.

Overall, another great Bosch book, but I thought it had a couple minor problems. ( )
  TherinKnite | Jul 7, 2014 |
I discovered Michael Connelly quite by accident, while browsing the new paperback releases in the bookstore and being drawn to the cover of a book called "The Poet." After reading and enjoying that one, I caught up on Connelly by reading the first two quite good Harry Bosch novels, and then I read this masterpiece.

For those unfamiliar with Connelly's Bosch character, he is simply one of the most compelling characters in contemporary fiction. A detective in the Los Angeles Police Department's Robbery Homicide unit, he is (among other things) a loner, a smoker, a Vietnam veteran "tunnel-rat," and a jazz afficionado. He lives by the motto "Everyone counts or no one counts." He has the word "hold" tattooed on the knuckles of one hand, and the word "fast" tattooed on the knuckles of the other.

This one opens with Bosch suspended from his duties (again) and placed on involuntary stress leave from the department. Part and parcel of his suspension is being forced to visit with a psychiatrist, whose recommendation he needs to be placed back on active duty. Trust me when I say that Harry is not a psychiatrist kind of guy.

As if that isn't enough, his stilted home in the Hollywood Hills has been damaged by a recent earthquake and is condemned by the city as dangerous and uninhabitable. He's still living there though, parking down the street and sneaking in and out so as not to be seen.

The suspension anyway gives Harry time to investigate a case that has long frustrated him, the death of his own prostitute mother. The breathless twists and turns this investigation takes are a masterwork of crime fiction.

Still, the most brilliant part of this book for me (and it's all brilliant) and what has stayed with me the most is the title itself. Early on in the book, Harry looks down from the balcony of his condemned home and sees a lone coyote, thinking to himself, it might be the last one in Los Angeles.

He couldn't be more wrong. ( )
  BrendanPMyers | Jun 23, 2014 |
As the song goes, "I'm just wild about Harry." This is the first of the Harry Bosch books I have read and it worked well as a stand alone, giving background here and there as Harry comes to grips with his issues. I like the fact that there are some things I don't like about him. A good flawed character which makes for entertaining reading.

He doesn't seem to know what to hold on to and what to let go of. He reveals he didn't go after his girlfriend when she left, yet he hold on to his house that was declared unlivable after being hit by an earthquake. He takes a lot of chances, making spur of the moment decisions, that could get him in trouble or killed, as he sets out to find who murdered his mother in 1961. Lots of twists and turns in the story which fit perfectly with Bosch's spontaneous personality. I wasn't expecting the killer to be who it was, so major points for that!

CindyAmrhein | May 20, 2014 |
The basics: When LAPD detective Harry Bosch is placed on leave for hitting his lieutenant, he takes the time off work as his opportunity to try to solve the murder of his mother, which happened when he was eleven.

My thoughts: It's no secret I've been loving (and quickly devouring) Michael Connelly's mysteries the past few months. After The Concrete Blonde revisited the most infamous case of Bosch's career, The Lost Coyote tackles the most infamous case of Bosch's life: the murder of his prostitute mother. Taken together, these two novels could easily serve as an ending of sorts for this series; instead, Connelly uses them as a end and a beginning.

It's not an uncommon trope to have an unsolved case in a detective's personal life (in any media.) It was a pleasant surprise to see this case be the focus of an entire novel, and Connelly masterfully uses it to dig even deeper into Bosch.

The verdict: In many ways, this novel could almost serve as the end of a series, as Bosch digs deep into his history and his mother's secrets. It's both a gripping mystery and an incredibly satisfying conclusion to a mystery that began with this series. Even more than usual, I can't wait to see what Connelly does with Bosch next. ( )
  nomadreader | Apr 5, 2014 |

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pinchera, FrancescaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Marcus Grupa
"Any thoughts that you'd like to start with?"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446619078, Mass Market Paperback)

Harry attacked his commanding officer and is suspended indefinitely, pending a psychiatric evaluation. At first he resists the LAPD shrink, but finally recognizes that something is troubling him and has for a long time. In 1961, when Harry was twelve, his mother, a prostitute, was brutally murdered, and no one has ever been accused of the crime.

With the spare time a suspension brings, Harry opens up the thirty-year-old file on the case and is irresistibly drawn into a past he has always avoided. It's clear that the case was fumbled and the smell of a cover-up is unmistakable. Someone powerful was able to divert justice and Harry vows to uncover the truth. As he relentlessly follows the broken pieces of the case, the stirred interest causes new murders and pushes Harry to the edge of his job... and his life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:46 -0400)

Taking a hard look at his life after a streak of bad luck, LAPD detective Harry Bosch decides to tackle the unsolved decades-old murder of his mother and uncovers a devastating truth.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,608,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible