Doors Open by Ian Rankin

Doors Open (2008)

by Ian Rankin

English (36)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (40)
Oh what a tangled web we weave ... ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
Worst book Rankin has written by a large margin. It's actually so trivial it's hard to believe that he wrote it. ( )
  altonmann | Jan 24, 2018 |
Rebus is gone but the crime scene in Edinburgh goes on. And it's not just the usual criminal gangs that are pulling heists. Respectable people like an art professor and a rich software mogul and a bank executive decide that they can pull off the perfect crime. Professor Robert Gissing is about to retire but before he goes he wants to liberate some works of art that are just being warehoused by the National Gallery of Scotland. His friends Mike Mackenzie and Allan Cruickshank are intrigued but just for discussion at first. Mike is filthy rich having sold his shares in the software firm he and a friend started for lots of money. He has started collecting art but one work he will never be able to own, Monboddo's painting of his wife. Allan handles a lot of other people's money but never seems to have enough of his own and the idea of owning art that even his employer can't have intrigues him. When Mike runs into his old schoolmate Chib Calloway who is now a gangster the heist seems possible because Chib can provide the missing elements. They'll enter the warehouse during the annual Doors Open festival and walk off with 7 masterpieces. They'll switch these with 7 fakes and abandon the fakes in the getaway van. Professor Gissing will be called to authenticate the artworks and everything will be fine. Except of course it isn't.

Rankin hasn't lost his touch. I read this book in about a day on vacation because I just had to know how the ending came about (we're privy to the end from the very beginning). Just because Rebus isn't around doesn't mean there aren't lots of interesting characters. D.I. Ransome is as dogged as Rebus when it comes to catching a criminal and Mike Mackenzie certainly has potential for some more action. The ending even hints that there may be more to come from that quarter. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 9, 2017 |
I wish had never read this book: or better still, Ian Rankin had never written it.Then I would have continued loving Ian Rankin for his writing. But this book has changed it all. I think I need to read another Rebus novel to restore the status quo of my opinion of Ian Rankin's writing prowess.

I discovered Ian Rankin only last year, thanks to the recommendation of a dear friend. And Ian Rankin became my favourite author from the word "go". After finishing the very first book, I had decided that I am going to read every book written by this author. Today I am regretting this decision.

Totally disappointed in the weak plot, unconvincing premise of 3 friends coming together to commit art heist only for the love of art. Characters which are the strength in all Rankin books are mere outlines here and that is the biggest weakness. We cannot understand their motivations and fail to sympathise with them in their predicament ( )
  _amritasharma_ | Feb 5, 2016 |
I do seem to struggle with Ian Rankin and I have no idea why. He should tick all the boxes for me, Crime Fiction, well written, Edinburgh setting, certain degree of humour, but time and time again I find myself struggling to retain interest & to finish the book. I recently (well a couple of months ago now) read a book of his short stories and really enjoyed them, hence having another go at one of his full length novels, but....

So this isn't a Rebus novel, but still Edinburgh based. It centres around Doors Open Day (do they have that in England?) when various institutions open their doors to the public to let them see places they don't normally have access to. In particular, the storage facility for the National Galleries of Scotland are included in this extravaganza and so the crime is inspired: why not fake some pictures and replace the originals during a tour? What could possibly go wrong?

The characters were well drawn and the places all recognisable to a resident, even the plot worked ok, but somehow it dragged and I suspect was a couple of chapters too long. I usually give a book 50 pages to capture my interest, it did that easily - it was around the mid section that it began to drag & I had to force myself to keep going. Once the heist took place, then it picked up. Even so,
I didn't really care what happened: they could succeed or fail I didn't care enough about the 'crooks' or the 'cops' to be bothered about the outcome.

Not sure whether Ian Rankin usually uses humour in his writing, but a far better exponent of comedy in Scottish Crime is Christopher Brookmyre and I love his books, so maybe I'd be better sticking to his work. My only dilema now is the Rebus books I have on Mount TBR: do I keep them and have another go, or release them for someone else, who might enjoy them, to read?

One last thought: I'd intended to read this quickly so that I could release it on Doors Open Day at one of the venues. I failed miserably - this took me a week longer than I expected to read it. Think that probably says everything! ( )
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Mike saw it happen. Thre were two doors next to one another.

For the right man, all doors are open...Mike Mackenzie is a self-made man with too much time on his hands and a bit of the devil in his soul. He is looking for something to liven up the days and perhaps give new meaning to his existence. A chance encounter at an art auction offers him the opportunity to do just that as he settles on a plot to commit a 'perfect crime'. He intends to rip-off one of the most high-profile targets in the capital - the National Gallery of Scotland. So, together with two close friends from the art world, he devises a plan to a lift some of the most valuable artwork around. But of course, the real trick is to rob the place for all its worth whilst persuading the world that no crime was ever committed. But soon after he enters the dark waters of the criminal underworld he realises that it's very easy to drown...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,470,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible