dismiss

This Present Darkness by Frank E. Peretti

This Present Darkness (1986)

by Frank E. Peretti

Series: This Present Darkness (1)

"Ashton is just a typical small town. But when a skeptical reporter and a prayerful pastor begin to compare notes, they suddenly find themselves fighting a hideous New Age plot to subjugate the townspeople, and eventually the entire human race"--Container.

Normally I avoid Christian fiction. I have read some well-received Christian novels in the past, and felt them to be too preachy, as if the authors felt they had to show how pious or prayerful they were. As a Christian myself (though one whose beliefs are less - shall we say - strict than those who gave me the other books) I felt like those authors were preaching to the choir. So I was a little leery when my boyfriend recommended Peretti.

However, I needn't have worried. Yes, prayer and God were prevalent in the book. It wouldn't really have been a Christian novel if they weren't. But it was prayer as a part of certain characters' personality and beliefs. Prayer for the sake of other characters, not because the reader necessarily needed saving. Many times, it felt as if I was reading one of the paranormal books I'm fond of, only instead of good magic vs. bad magic, you have good spirits vs. bad. Instead of normal humans fighting off magic-induced possession, the possession is demonic. It often read very like a religious-based paranormal book, and I enjoyed it very much.

One thing that I found especially appropriate was the way swearing was handled. Some of the characters swore. They are humans, and humans do that. But the profanity wasn't actually written in the book, just spoken of. It was well done, and it took me a little while before I even realized it.

People who are anti-Christian will probably not appreciate this book. But for those who are Christian, or who are willing to give something different a try, this might be a good one to pick up. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
Rated: B
While we battle against sins of self, there is a greater battle being fought by angels and demons on our behalf. Good story bringing that reality to light. ( )
  jmcdbooks | Nov 21, 2019 |
Oh Lordy. I thought this book would never end. ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |
Ashton is just a typical small town. But when a skeptical reporter and a prayerful, hardworking pastor begin to investigate mysterious events, they suddenly find themselves caught up in a hideous New Age plot to enslave the townspeople, and eventually the entire human race. The physical world meets the spiritual realm as the battle rages between forces of good and evil.
  Lake_Oswego_UCC | Jul 8, 2018 |
Frank Peretti is a great writer, The book is captivating from start to finish. Once i started reading the book could not put it down. definitely going to read it again. ( )
  tanesha44 | May 24, 2017 |

Peretti, Frank E.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bruijn, Anke deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For we are not contending against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
   Ephesians 612 (RSV)
To Barbara Jean,
wife and friend,
who loved me, and waited
Late on a full-mooned Sunday night, the two figures in work clothes appeared on Highway 27, just outside the small college town of Ashton. They were tall, at least seven feet, strongly build, perfectly proportioned. One was dark-haired and sharp-featured, the other blond and powerful.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,519,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible