Triumph of the Darksword by Margaret Weis

Triumph of the Darksword

by Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman

Volume III in the heroic saga of magic, betrayal and adventure, The Darksword Trilogy. In the realm where magic is life, Joram was one of the Dead. Born without power, he was denies his royal birthright and sentenced to the Turning--his mind to be imprisoned inside a husk of living stone. Yet at the last moment, Saryon took his place, suffering the eternal torment for his young master, And joram and his wife Gwendolyn vanished into the mists that marked the Border of the World. . . .  Now, ten years later, Joram and Gwendolyn have returned to reclaim their rightful place in Merilon. Wielding one last time the terrible, magic-thirsting Darksword, Joram must confront the evil sorcerer Menju and his army of Technologists from beyond the Border in a final apocalyptic battle. Rejoined by Saryon, the mage Mosiah and Simkin, Joram will fulfill the ancient prophecy of the Darksword--the prophecy that puts in his hands the power to destroy the world . . . or save it.… (more)

So instead of writing a good story, this duo [and don't get me wrong, I absolutely love some of their stuff] simply use a scifi cliche to advance the story 10 years for Joram.

And this story wasn't even about Joram really. It was all about the revelations of the outside world and how everything we thought we knew gets turned on its side and shaken. With some token villain who's a freaking stage magician. Seriously?

At least the tech warriors could have been cool. Special Special Forces [yes, that was a double]. And they fall apart and cry like babies. Seal Team 6 wouldn't have fallen apart like that!

Finally, to wrap things up, we get a love fest and everybody is going to be everybody else's best friend, except for the badguys, who we are told, are now going to be even badder. But the goodguys will be even gooderer. And can you not be inspired by a Gooderer Guy?

So while I might appear to have hated this book, I actually enjoyed it. It was just juvenile and not up to the level of sophistication that I enjoy now [anyone read those Myth books by Asprin?] If you enjoyed the first 2, this won't disappoint, but it wont get better.

And I found out that there is a 4th book after this. I won't be reading it. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This was the second complete trilogy we read by this author. It's a downer - almost Thomas Covenant depressing - but I remember liking it quite a bit. Like Tom the Leper, I never wanted to read it again, although I still have it around just in case.

As I recall, this wrapped it up well. I believe they wrote further books in the series, but I never had the urge to read them. This is where to stop, IMO. ( )
1 vote jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
I was a bit disappointed by the ending of this trilogy. The ending seemed a bit inconclusive, as if they were leaving the door open for another trilogy. I enjoyed the series, but the ending made it a little less memorable than I would like. ( )
  Karlstar | Jan 19, 2013 |
I really enjoyed the Darksword Trilogy and it ended with a bang. As usual Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman let their wonderfully developed characters run wild with plenty of plot twists and humor to keep the story going. I just found out recently that there is a fourth book that was written years later that I can not wait to read. Definitely one of my favorite books from my teenage years and still one of the best. ( )
1 vote LouCypher | Jul 14, 2010 |

Weis, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hickman, Tracymain authorall editionsconfirmed
The Watchers had guarded the Border of Thimhallan for centuries.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,002,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible