Trunk music by Michael Connelly

Trunk music (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Michael Connelly

Member:sjmccreary
Title:Trunk music
Authors:Michael Connelly
Info:Boston : Little, Brown and Co., c1997.
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, F/C Harry Bosch, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, book #5, 999 challenge

Trunk Music by Michael Connelly (1997)

Recently added byprivate library, bibliojenks, RichFSKT, kandi111777, billnad, Evansville

English (32)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (34)
Loved this book!
It had all that I want in a thriller/mystery/detective, whatever you call the genre.
I forgot to make coffee and almost forgot dinner this evening if it weren't for a hungry Junior.
I haven't read any of the other books in the Harry Bosch-series yet. Looked them up and it appears there are 20 of them (so far). More than enough to keep me company for a while.
Will see if I have the earliest ones from the series, then I'll start reading them in order.

I'm sad the book is finished, but I'll enjoy remembering it for a while. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jul 30, 2015 |
I wonder whether I may have read a few too many of Michael Connelly's books within too short a space of time. It is an easy error to slip into. They do, after all, tend to be well written with tightly-constructed plots, empathetic characters and an intriguing setting in the seedier reaches of Hollywood where vicious murders abound.

So far this year I have read six of his novels, and I have started to recognise some degree of formulaic approach. For instance, in Trunk Music, a minor film producer is found dead in the boot of his car (a white Rolls Royce), and it appears that he may have been the victim of organised crime - a 'hit'. Heironymus 'Harry' Bosch is on the scene fairly early after the discovery of the corpse and takes over the investigation. Things initially progress fairly well, and Bosch is soon following up potentially fruitful clues that lead him to Las Vegas where, among other encounters, he meets up with a former partner. Predictably, however, Bosch is soon hauled in by his senior officers and investigated by Internal Affairs Division for alleged inappropriate behaviour. Sooner or later this happens in every Bosch novel - all that varies is the distance one has top penetrate into the book before it happens.

Trunk Music was certainly a decent novel, but I found it very quickly merged into a morass of all the other Connelly novels I had read earlier in the year. I will definitely return to Connelly's books - I have become a sort of addict of 'Boschland' - bit I think I will leave it a lot longer before my next return. ( )
  Eyejaybee | Jun 4, 2015 |
At least one of the surprises I saw coming. ( )
  kenzen | Feb 23, 2015 |
[Cross-posted to Knite Writes]

There’s really not all that much I can say about a Bosch book that I haven’t said before. The plots are always well-crafted and complex, with excellent twists and turns that you never see coming. No threads are left hanging, no plot points unresolved. The world-building is excellent and always reflects the changing social climates, technology, and the like, as the series moves through the 90s toward the new millennium.

All in all, this book was just another great installment of the series. It had a great mystery, some good action scenes, and a fairly satisfying conclusion. I can’t really come up with any complaints.

In fact, I actually like this book a tad bit more than I did some of the other novels, due largely to the inclusion of a new and improved cast. Kizmin Rider and Grace Billets added some good diversity to the mix of characters, which has, due to the (admittedly realistic) social climate of the LA police in the 90s, been a bit too white and a bit too male in the past. It was good to see the books reflect the sorts of social changes that actually occurred during this time period and bring in some fresh faces.

It was also a great relief to see these faces well-characterized and not left flat on the sidelines.

I think my only “issue” with the book was the final chapter, which involved a coincidence so absurd that it made me roll my eyes. Personally, I don’t think it was necessary, and it took away from an otherwise strong ending. It wasn’t a deal breaker or anything, but I did fit it pretty annoying.

Other than that, though, (and it is a pretty minor thing, to be honest), Trunk Music was another fantastic Bosch book, and I can’t wait to get my hands on the next few in the series! ( )
  TherinKnite | Jan 19, 2015 |
Did not enjoy this Harry Bosch series read quite as much as some of the others. When B-grade L.A. movie producer is found stuffed into the trunk of his Rolls Royce, all signs point to "trunk music" --a mob hit. Detective Harry Bosch, returning from his "involuntary stress leave," is not so sure. And when he finds the money trail, he follows it…all the way to Vegas.

Seems this Tony had his share of enemies, and in no time, so does Harry: Vegas thugs, LAPD's organized crime unit, a smarmy internal affairs investigator and, of course, Tony's killers. Everyone wants a piece of Harry. And somehow, they've found just the way to get it. . . Eleanor (ex lover of Harry's gets involved and some romance rekindled as he faces the trunk music. ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Montanari, GianniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for my editor, Michael Pietsch
As he drove along Mulholland Drive toward the Cahuenga Pass, Bosch began to hear the music.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446198196, Mass Market Paperback)

LAPD Homicide detective Bosch is back from an involuntary administrative leave just in time for the bodies to start turning up. When he finds hints of an mob hit but can't interest the organized crime unit in the murder, Bosch has to take the investigation into his own hands in a this hard-boiled tale full of sharp turns. Fans of Michael Connelly's excellent, The Poet, will go wild for this even better addition to the Harry Bosch series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:15 -0400)

A detective investigating a murder is fired for his efforts because his probe disrupted an FBI sting operation. He is Hieronymous Bosch of the Los Angeles police department who was investigating the slaying of a movie producer. A tale of Hollywood films, crooked money and crooked cops.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,012,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible