The Wooden Sea: A Novel by Jonathan Carroll

The Wooden Sea: A Novel (edition 2002)

by Jonathan Carroll

Member:Nymeth
Title:The Wooden Sea: A Novel
Authors:Jonathan Carroll
Info:Tor Books (2002), Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:Fantasy, Unread

The Wooden Sea by Jonathan Carroll

Recently added byangelista, brunalr, strawberree, Storm_Constantine, private library, jammilram

If Joseph C. Lincoln had set down to write The Man Who Folded Himself he would have come up with this. Fran, a small town chief of police, has found himself in the middle of a time traveling mystery / conspiracy where the fate of Crane's View rests on his ability to sort things out. The first chapter didn't do much for me but by the second chapter the quirky plot began to surface. By the third chapter I was hooked all the way through the epilogue which seemed like a tidy albeit somewhat ambiguous (as many time travel books are) ending. ( )
  pussreboots | Oct 25, 2014 |
I like how, well, weird this book was - the plot was endlessly captivating ... until it became confusing. I like a book that leaves the reader thinking, but this one did that and then some. I just wish a it had a bit fewer loose ends. ( )
  aea2142 | Jan 18, 2014 |
I'm not much into sci-fi, time travel, or any of that genre, but I had this book as part of a bookray from Bookcrossing, so felt obliged to read it and pass it along.

Wow. What a read. Frannie (I suppose Francis) McCabe is the police chief of a small town in the Hudson Valley, and strange things start happening as soon as he takes in a three-legged brindled pit-bull mix who proceeds to die in his office. A dog that won't stay buried. A feather no bird has ever grown. An old bone. And then Fran's an old man in Austria, and then he meets his young, bad-ass 17 year old rebellious self. And - and - and.

Underneath it all is a love of small-town life, the particulars of people in a community, the private workings of a marriage, the secrets of the universe, and a common-sense, self-aware narrator who is never so surprised that he can't include the reader in the scene.

Funny, profane, grave, joyful. How satisfying it all is. ( )
2 vote ffortsa | Sep 3, 2011 |
I slipped it under his collar. Like an Egyptian king going to the hereafter surrounded by his worldly possessions, Old Vertue now had a beautiful feather to carry along. It was getting late and I had other things to do. Quickly filling the grave, I tamped it down as best I could, hoping another animal wouldn't catch the scent and dig it up.

Frannie McCabe is chief of police in Crane's View, a small town in New York state. He is generally happy with his lot, having outgrown his wild rebellious teenage years to become a respected member of the community, and is happily married with a teenage stepdaughter.

But then a couple well known for their domestic disturbances disappear in the middle of a screaming row, a stray dog that died in his office won't stay buried, a dead girl talks to him and a mysterious multi-coloured feather keeps appearing in the strangest places. And his seventeen-year-old self pays him a visit to tell him that there is a puzzle that he has to solve.

Confusing : ) ( )
  isabelx | Apr 22, 2011 |
Frannie McCabe is the police chief of a small town in New York state. His weird adventures begin after he takes in a pitiful homeless dog, which soon dies. Frannie ends up travelling in time and tring to figure out why a lot of weird things are happening to him in his normal, down-to-earth home town. A mysterious messenger tells him that he's got a week to figure out what's going on.

I found this book to be quite a bit of fun. Carroll seems to be winking at us, not taking the whole thing too too seriously. I like Frannie as a character, and the insights that he has seem to fit with who he is. Carroll's tone is light and his style very compatible with the story and its inhabitants. I'll look for more by him. ( )
  Jim53 | Oct 18, 2010 |

Jonathan Carrollprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
塔, 円城解説secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'What you are looking for you are looking with' Meister Eckhardt
For Ifah2 at Augarten Heaven
Never buy yellow clothes or cheap leather.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0765300133, Paperback)

Frannie McCabe was an obnoxious juvenile delinquent in his teens, but has settled down into comfortable middle age in the small town of Crane's View as its chief of police; like other Jonathan Carroll protagonists, the hero of The Wooden Sea is about to find himself caught up in uncanny goings-on. First a dog walks into his office and drops dead--more importantly, it will not stay buried. Then a quarreling couple simply disappears, and then Frannie finds himself haunted by his younger, more abrasive self, and by visions of the last day of his life, as an old man about to be knocked down by a motorbike in Vienna.

What all this means and what lessons Frannie is supposed to take from it all are where the questions lie; anyone who has read an earlier Carroll novel will know the sorts of thing that are liable to happen, the sorts of thing that they are likely to mean--but any reader of an earlier Carroll novel will almost certainly be buying any of his books they can get hold of, anyway. This is an inventive and moving fantasy by a writer who more or less defined dark fantasy as a critical term. --Roz Kaveney, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:44 -0400)

"From the moment a three-legged dog limps into the comfortable life of Police Chief Frannie McCabe and drops dead at his feet, McCabe finds himself thrust into a new world of unaccountable miracles and disturbing wonders. The small town of Crane's View, New York, has long been a reassuringly familiar place for Frannie, a haven full of small comforts and domestic harmony, but now he finds himself afflicted by strange and inexplicable omens, such as a mysterious, multicolored feather that keeps insinuating itself into his past, present, and future, all of which now converge to throw Frannie's once ordinary life into doubt. Like it or not, Frannie has come face-to-face with the uncanny, and what he does over the next few days may have unforeseen consequences for the entire world."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,375,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible