The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks

The Zombie Survival Guide (2003)

by Max Brooks

Series: The Zombie Survival Guide

English (110)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All (116)
I read this book a few years ago as a toilet read. Rather amusing and definitely made lines on my bum from not wanting to get up off the toilet even though I had emptied my insides into the bowl lol ( )
  Jychelle88 | Oct 16, 2017 |
The Zombie Survival Guide is just what you need to help you plan out how to survive everything from a small Level One zombie outbreak up to a Level Four, full-out zombie apocalypse. That’s right, not every outbreak leads to the end of the world. There have been smaller ones that have been contained. It’s just that the governments of the world have done a good job of covering them up.

I have to say that I was disappointed with this book. I was expecting it to be humorous because come on, how could it not be? But in trying to make it sound like a real survival guide, the author has made it boring – just like a real survival guide. It is very detailed. There are sections on weapons, vehicles, clothing, etc. He also discusses the best areas to live in, what type of structures are best to live in and so on. And of course, he goes into how zombies are made, how they function and how they can be killed. Did you know they can walk on the ocean floor? That was a surprise to me.

The survival portion is about three-fourths of the book. The second part of the book is a log of all of the reported outbreaks that the author could find information on, starting with an attack in Africa in 60,000 B.C. I found this part to be dry as well – very factual and emotionless - and the incidents felt a little repetitive.

I would recommend this book to only the most die-hard zombie fans. ( )
  mcelhra | Oct 8, 2017 |
As a fan of reading zombie books, this one was okay and not on my favorite list. At first I was enjoying it, learning about what type of guns are good to use and different terrains. However once you get past the first part, it's a repeat of everything but different scenarios. It was kind of boring because of it so I skimmed through the third part. I got to the end of Recorded Events and thought this might be interesting. Yea like the first few and then I realized oh all of the events are going to be the same... zombie sighting after zombie sighting. Great concept for a book but it dragged on for me. ( )
  booklover3258 | Aug 19, 2017 |
Informative book..It's not the Zombies I am worried about it's the humans. Glad I grew up in an area and time that enabled me to learn survival skills in the wild. The book is fun but all joking aside it is better to be prepared than to be dinner. ( )
  Joe73 | Apr 21, 2017 |
This is a great read. It's funny and very informative. It's a must have for when the zombie apocalypse hits! ( )
  Virago77 | Jun 23, 2016 |

Max Brooksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Glasserman, DebbieDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, MaxIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mom and Dad. And for Michelle, who makes life worth fighting for.
What is a zombie?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 071563318X, Paperback)

Drawing from reams of historical data, laboratory experiments, field research, and eyewitness accounts, this comprehensive and illustrated guide is the only book you'll need to face the greatest challenge mankind has ever encountered. Granted, you probably already know that skills such as wilderness survival, leadership, and basic first aid are important when fighting off hordes of the undead. But The Zombie Survival Guide doesn't stop there, teaching you how to: Identify cases of infection by the zombie virus, Solanum, and recognize the hourly progression of symptoms: 'Hour 8: Numbing Of Extremities And Infected Area, Increased Fever [103-106 Degrees], Increased Dementia, Loss Of Muscular Coordination'; choose the right weapon: 'A Section Of Lead Pipe Will Work For A Single Encounter But Is Too Heavy For Those On The Move'; defend your home: 'A Ten-Foot Cinder-Block Wall, Reinforced Wih Steel Rods And Filled With Concrete, Is The Safest Barrier In Both Class 1 And Class 2 Outbreaks'; and much more. Filled with helpful illustrations and a sample 'Outbreak Journal' that should be kept on your person at all times, The Zombie Survival Guide is the only guide you will need to survive a most certain pandemic. 'Ignorance is the undead's strongest ally, knowledge their deadliest enemy,' Brooks writes. 'Personal choice, the will to live, must be paramount when the dead begin to rise. The choice is up to you.'

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:04 -0400)

A guide to surviving an attack by hordes of the predatory undead explains zombie physiology and behavior, the most effective weaponry and defense strategies, how to outfit one's home for a long siege, and how to survive in any terrain.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,526,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible