The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete…

The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Max Brooks

Member:butterflyfish
Title:The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead
Authors:Max Brooks
Info:Three Rivers Press (2003), Edition: 1, Paperback, 288 pages

The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead by Max Brooks (2003)

English (93)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  French (1)  All languages (98)
I read World War Z first and really didn't care for that book (although I thought that I would love it), so I was a little leery picking up this book. And - surprise - I loved this book!

I enjoyed the whole "survival manual" set up to the book, which really gave it a more authentic feel. I did disagree with some of the "advice" given: one example was the author recommending that one climb a tree to sleep at night (a great plan...until a zombie wanders underneath, smells you, and you're trapped up there as its moans attract other zombies to stand under your now deathtrap tree). And some of the "facts" were wrong, too: one example is that the author states that Allakariallak, an Inuit featured in the "documentary" (I'd call it more of a "docudrama," because some of it was made up for dramatic effect) died of starvation the year after the "documentary" was completed (he actually died of what is believed to be tuberculosis).

Still, though, if you're into survival manuals, or zombies in general, I would really recommend this book. It was much more enjoyable than World War Z, at least in my opinion. And the "documented attacks" in the back of the book are like a precursor to World War Z, except not as dragging. And if you are one of those people who enjoy thinking about what you would do in a post-apocalyptic and/or zombie apocalypse situation, this is sure to make the gears in your head grind. ( )
  schatzi | Oct 10, 2014 |
From all the books that I've included in my list and even felt eager to read, this is the most boring and disappointing. Too bad, I had great expectations about it.

Soon in the beginning of the book you find a completely post-apocalyptic (or whatsoever) description of a world nearly dominated by zombies. The end is near and you have only one goal: to survive. Sounds clichè? It is. During the 200 pages of the book you'll find a brief story of the Solanum virus (the "excuse" given by the author to justify the existence of the undead), basic hints about choosing weapons, refuges, some basic survival strategies, types of outbreaks according to the location and size of the afected area (as well as the media influence to the pandemia)... all that described in a purely technical, tedious way. I would say that a boy scout or someone used to camping would easily survive through a zombie breakdown, specially if you take into account that the author's way of describing the attacks and threatens is not even slightly scary (...was it even supposed to be?).

And speaking of them... what the hell are those stupid stories to "prove the veracity" of what he wrote?? At the end of the book Max Brooks shows completely unplausible "reported attacks", all of them told by people who "didn't want to identify themselves" or with "proofs" conveniently hidden by the government/media. For heaven's sake, Brooks, if you want to convince someone that you actually collected some data, at least try to change your writing style! The impression I was given was that he had just finished reading Dracula and wanted to write short stories replacing the vampires for zombies, in some sort of "Dan Brown wannabe" style. Boring.

I gave two stars for the book because of the World War Z intro, included as an extra at the end of the book, that sounds slightly interesting and may be a lot more interesting than this book. But if you're looking for some fun and fast-paced reading, stay away from this book. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
Fun read. A great companion piece to anyone who enjoys zombie-related literature. ( )
  trile1000 | Jul 7, 2014 |
Not really a big fan of this book. Much preferred World War Z. Maybe I'm not one for "list" style books - more of a narrative kinda guy. Ah well. I'll give it props for being original. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
unknown
  Bruno_Estigarribia | Mar 31, 2014 |
For Mom and Dad. And for Michelle, who makes life worth fighting for.
What is a zombie?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 071563318X, Paperback)

Drawing from reams of historical data, laboratory experiments, field research, and eyewitness accounts, this comprehensive and illustrated guide is the only book you'll need to face the greatest challenge mankind has ever encountered. Granted, you probably already know that skills such as wilderness survival, leadership, and basic first aid are important when fighting off hordes of the undead. But The Zombie Survival Guide doesn't stop there, teaching you how to: Identify cases of infection by the zombie virus, Solanum, and recognize the hourly progression of symptoms: 'Hour 8: Numbing Of Extremities And Infected Area, Increased Fever [103-106 Degrees], Increased Dementia, Loss Of Muscular Coordination'; choose the right weapon: 'A Section Of Lead Pipe Will Work For A Single Encounter But Is Too Heavy For Those On The Move'; defend your home: 'A Ten-Foot Cinder-Block Wall, Reinforced Wih Steel Rods And Filled With Concrete, Is The Safest Barrier In Both Class 1 And Class 2 Outbreaks'; and much more. Filled with helpful illustrations and a sample 'Outbreak Journal' that should be kept on your person at all times, The Zombie Survival Guide is the only guide you will need to survive a most certain pandemic. 'Ignorance is the undead's strongest ally, knowledge their deadliest enemy,' Brooks writes. 'Personal choice, the will to live, must be paramount when the dead begin to rise. The choice is up to you.'

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:02 -0400)

A guide to surviving an attack by hordes of the predatory undead explains zombie physiology and behavior, the most effective weaponry and defense strategies, how to outfit one's home for a long siege, and how to survive in any terrain.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,352,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible