The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete…

The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Max Brooks

Title:The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead
Authors:Max Brooks
Info:Three Rivers Press (2003), Edition: 1, Paperback, 288 pages

The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks (2003)

English (99)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  French (1)  All languages (104)
Fun read. A great companion piece to anyone who enjoys zombie-related literature. ( )
  trile1000 | Oct 23, 2015 |
Have you ever realized too late that you were the butt of a joke? Or, realized it, but then kept wondering if you were or not? I'm feeling that way now....dumb.

My son is reading this (6th grade, found in the middle school library), so I spent about a half hour perusing. I'm actually totally confused at this point. I don't "get" this zombie nonsense; I thought this would be funny, but there was nothing humorous about it. It seemed totally serious, not tongue-in-cheek at all (although I lack the ability to catch wit sometimes), and it even had a lengthy chapter presenting recorded zombie outbreaks/attacks from ancient times to the present; primary sources provided and everything! It read like it was "for reals" and I'm wondering if these people "into zombies" are also for real? I really don't get it..... I thought it was just a silly thing. Is this book supposed to be humorous? My son, also, thinks this is totally serious. Will someone let me know the deal? Are there some people who, like, actually believe in zombies? Set me straight, please!
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
An enjoyable, how-to guide for preparing for the possible zombie outbreak.

I found this book to be a really quick read. It's written in a typical how-to book taken with such seriousness I almost wanted to believe every word of it. [a:Max Brooks|5791|Max Brooks|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1334340170p2/5791.jpg] does a wonderful job in sticking to the realism. This reminded me of the all too serious mockumentary of the crash of Oceanic Flight 815 from the show LOST.

If you're looking for a zombie genre book to scare the pants off of you and give you nightmares, this isn't going to do that. But, it will give you some wonderful knowledge on how to properly prepare for an impending zombie apocalypse. Do you have a fortified safe house? Do you have an escape route? Do you have a crowbar? All things to take into consideration when preparing.

In all seriousness, though, one thing really bugged me. I really don't see how it would be possible for a zombie to traverse the ocean floor. Just think about how deep the Earth's oceans are, the various landforms that litter the landscape, and the intense pressure the deeper you get. Shouldn't a zombie brain be imploded by the intense pressure of walking so deep underwater, thereby rendering them completely dead? Going by that logic, I'd say having a private island would be the best safe house in the world.

A great read for anyone wanting to know how to prepare for a zombie attack! ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
This was a great "fun" read. An easy book to get through that you could sit with and almost forget that you actually don't have a need to start preparing your house for zombie attacks. ( )
  ChiefBrody | May 29, 2015 |
Read after 'World War Z', this was a bit of a letdown. More of an excessive list, the stories were funny at times, but at others forgettable. ( )
  bdtrump | May 9, 2015 |
For Mom and Dad. And for Michelle, who makes life worth fighting for.
What is a zombie?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 071563318X, Paperback)

Drawing from reams of historical data, laboratory experiments, field research, and eyewitness accounts, this comprehensive and illustrated guide is the only book you'll need to face the greatest challenge mankind has ever encountered. Granted, you probably already know that skills such as wilderness survival, leadership, and basic first aid are important when fighting off hordes of the undead. But The Zombie Survival Guide doesn't stop there, teaching you how to: Identify cases of infection by the zombie virus, Solanum, and recognize the hourly progression of symptoms: 'Hour 8: Numbing Of Extremities And Infected Area, Increased Fever [103-106 Degrees], Increased Dementia, Loss Of Muscular Coordination'; choose the right weapon: 'A Section Of Lead Pipe Will Work For A Single Encounter But Is Too Heavy For Those On The Move'; defend your home: 'A Ten-Foot Cinder-Block Wall, Reinforced Wih Steel Rods And Filled With Concrete, Is The Safest Barrier In Both Class 1 And Class 2 Outbreaks'; and much more. Filled with helpful illustrations and a sample 'Outbreak Journal' that should be kept on your person at all times, The Zombie Survival Guide is the only guide you will need to survive a most certain pandemic. 'Ignorance is the undead's strongest ally, knowledge their deadliest enemy,' Brooks writes. 'Personal choice, the will to live, must be paramount when the dead begin to rise. The choice is up to you.'

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:04 -0400)

A guide to surviving an attack by hordes of the predatory undead explains zombie physiology and behavior, the most effective weaponry and defense strategies, how to outfit one's home for a long siege, and how to survive in any terrain.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,895,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible