The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete…

The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Max Brooks

Member:pickwick
Title:The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead
Authors:Max Brooks
Info:Gerald Duckworth & Co Ltd (2004), Paperback
Tags:humour, reference

The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks (2003)

English (111)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (117)
Libro simpatico e veloce, nulla di particolarmente entusiasmante. Corollario a World War Z, non presenta alcuno spunto di rilievo e contiene alcuni errori tecnici. Illustrazioni molto schematiche e stilizzate, sicuramente si poteva fare di più sotto questo aspetto. Se non fosse per l'idea carina del libro, potrebbe perfettamente finire sotto la categoria di "libroidi". ( )
  AlbertoAmoruso998 | Nov 4, 2018 |
Lo mejor de este libro para mí ha sido la originalidad del enfoque, tratando al lector como si fuera un superviviente al uso real, dando consejos prácticos para sobrevivir a un mundo zombi desde hace siglos.

¿Lo peor? Que es casi como una guía técnica, con enumeración tras enumeración (armas, escenarios, tácticas...), hasta llegar a un punto en el que no le encontré la menor chispa, ni a lo que me contaba ni al estilo con lo que lo hacía.

Aburrido, y deseando terminarlo.

Mi reseña completa aquí.
  LuisBermer | Sep 2, 2018 |
Fun read. A great companion piece to anyone who enjoys zombie-related literature. ( )
  trile1000 | Jul 1, 2018 |
"I got you a present." My boyfriend said. "It's The Walking Dead game."

Yeah, he never was too great at surprises. Well, I thought to myself, I guess it's time to whip out the old [b:Zombie Survival Guide|535441|The Zombie Survival Guide Complete Protection from the Living Dead|Max Brooks|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320562270s/535441.jpg|818] for tips. When is a better time to look over the advantages of rural fighting to urban, of machetes to semiautomatic (or fully automatic) weapons, or the ever present knowledge of just how many undead may be forzen in the tundra?

Correct answer: Now is the best time. If a Class 3 or Class 4 attack is happening and you're only just picking up this book... it is already too late. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Finally, the zombie apocalypse guide that you never knew you needed is available! I noticed that this book is often classified as humor, and yet there's really nothing funny here. This book is deadly serious, to the point where I am now convinced that Max Brooks surely has a safe room in his house especially fortified against the zombie hordes. I mean, seriously, there's an outline of weaponry effectiveness, fortification techniques, survival advice, and an entire semi-comprehensive history of global zombie outbreaks and known details of zombie physiology. I now know exactly what kind of structure to take shelter in, how to make it secure, what weapons to outfit myself with, and how to go about it if I need to venture out for additional supplies or to scout for the status of the outbreak. I even know what size groupings are most efficient for these scenarios, and how long I should wait in the wilderness in case of a global zombie takeover prior to venturing out to seek signs of life. All of which is, in all honesty, a bit disturbing.

I was honestly expecting some humorous "real-world" zombie talk, such as comparisons of various zombie creations in pop culture and how they were fought. But, no, the book assumes zombies to be a very real and present threat that it is tasked with helping you safeguard yourself against, and it takes that responsibility very seriously. In this way, you actually could consider it to be a very strong companion to World War Z, though, in all seriousness, this book lacks the creativity that made that one work. You have to REALLY be into zombies to not have your eyes glaze over slightly in reading about how one vehicle compares to another in its zombie-dodging or crushing abilities without there being any engaging first-person zombie fighting narrative included like we got in the novel. It is well worth the skimming, though probably not a keeper for any but the most hard-core zombie fanatics. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Mar 25, 2018 |

Max Brooksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Glasserman, DebbieDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, MaxIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mom and Dad. And for Michelle, who makes life worth fighting for.
What is a zombie?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 071563318X, Paperback)

Drawing from reams of historical data, laboratory experiments, field research, and eyewitness accounts, this comprehensive and illustrated guide is the only book you'll need to face the greatest challenge mankind has ever encountered. Granted, you probably already know that skills such as wilderness survival, leadership, and basic first aid are important when fighting off hordes of the undead. But The Zombie Survival Guide doesn't stop there, teaching you how to: Identify cases of infection by the zombie virus, Solanum, and recognize the hourly progression of symptoms: 'Hour 8: Numbing Of Extremities And Infected Area, Increased Fever [103-106 Degrees], Increased Dementia, Loss Of Muscular Coordination'; choose the right weapon: 'A Section Of Lead Pipe Will Work For A Single Encounter But Is Too Heavy For Those On The Move'; defend your home: 'A Ten-Foot Cinder-Block Wall, Reinforced Wih Steel Rods And Filled With Concrete, Is The Safest Barrier In Both Class 1 And Class 2 Outbreaks'; and much more. Filled with helpful illustrations and a sample 'Outbreak Journal' that should be kept on your person at all times, The Zombie Survival Guide is the only guide you will need to survive a most certain pandemic. 'Ignorance is the undead's strongest ally, knowledge their deadliest enemy,' Brooks writes. 'Personal choice, the will to live, must be paramount when the dead begin to rise. The choice is up to you.'

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:04 -0400)

A guide to surviving an attack by hordes of the predatory undead explains zombie physiology and behavior, the most effective weaponry and defense strategies, how to outfit one's home for a long siege, and how to survive in any terrain.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,848,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible