Toujours Provence by Peter Mayle

Toujours Provence (1991)

by Peter Mayle

Series: Provence (2)

A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: This is the prequel to "Toujours Provence."

English (17)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (19)
Enchanting vignettes of people/places bt an expat Brit in France; I should probably read 'A year in Provence' but this one is an enjoyable stand-alone. I felt it was authentic but kind of travelogue-ish, as if he didn't really engage with the locals. Based on my feeling from 'A Good Year', reviews of the first Provence book, I expected more intimacy. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jun 20, 2017 |
One of Mayle's follow-ups to A Year in Provence (there are at least two), this one read more like a collection of short essays of the type that might have perhaps been columns in a newspaper or magazine.

Nevertheless, it was thoroughly enjoyable and dangerous to read him describing a life that sounds so purely wonderful, especially as the days here turn cold and short. Reading this is a taste of the beautiful, warm life of a small village in Provence. ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 17, 2016 |
Great fun like the first one, and great memories of France! ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
Hilarious as the first, this second collection of Mayle’s adventures take us through life in the south of France. From his descriptions of local customs and food (oh, the food made me so hungry) to the stories about truffle hunting and dog shows. His vivid descriptions made me long to visit Provence! I’m eager to read his next book. ( )
  empress8411 | Nov 29, 2015 |
I loved nearly every page that I read. The chapter about Vogue and real estate didn't hold my interest quite the same as the other chapters but I won't fault the book for one off chapter.

Anyone reading this series looking for another similar and equally good book to read, I highly recommend Driving Over Lemons. ( )
  pussreboots | Sep 6, 2014 |

Peter Mayleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hazenberg, AnneliesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jennie, as always,
and to the friends and partners in research
who have been so generous in so many ways:
Michel from Chateauneuf, Michel from Cabrieres,
Henriette and Faustin, Alain the truffle hunter,
Christopher, Catherine, and Bernard

Mille Mercis
I had been to a pharmacy in Apt for toothpaste and suntan oil, two innocent and perfectly healthy purchases.

NATIONAL BESTSELLERTaking up where his beloved A Year in Provence leaves off, Peter Mayle offers us another funny, beautifully (and deliciously) evocative book about life in Provence. With tales only one who lives there could know—of finding gold coins while digging in the garden, of indulging in sumptuous feasts at truck stops—and with characters introduced with great affection and wit—the gendarme fallen from grace, the summer visitors ever trying the patience of even the most genial Provençaux, the straightforward dog "Boy"—Toujours Provence is a heart-warming portrait of a place where, if you can't quite "get away from it all," you can surely have a very good time trying.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:40 -0400)

The author introduces readers to some of the interesting characters found in the region of Provence--a disgraced gendarme, a gourmet in a track suit, and a man whose ambition is to make toads sing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,168,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible