dismiss

Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson

Mona Lisa Overdrive (original 1988; edition 1989)

by William Gibson

Series: Sprawl (3)

William Gibson, author of the extraordinary multiaward-winning novel Neuromancer, has written his most brilliant and thrilling work to date . . .The Mona Lisa Overdrive.   Enter Gibson's unique world--lyric and mechanical, sensual and violent, sobering and exciting--where multinational corporations and high tech outlaws vie for power, traveling into the computer-generated universe known as cyberspace.  Into this world comes Mona, a young girl with a murky past and an uncertain future whose life is on a collision course with internationally famous Sense/Net star Angie Mitchell.  Since childhood, Angie has been able to tap into cyberspace without a computer.  Now, from inside cyberspace, a kidnapping plot is masterminded by a phantom entity who has plans for Mona, Angie, and all humanity, plans that cannot be controlled . . . or even known.  And behind the intrigue lurks the shadowy Yazuka, the powerful Japanese underworld, whose leaders ruthlessly manipulate people and events to suit their own purposes . . . or so they think.… (more)
Member:beefviper
Title:Mona Lisa Overdrive
Authors:William Gibson
Info:Spectra (1989), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:cyber-punk

Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson (1988)

English (43)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (45)
Sure read like a script for the Matrix movie!
  wduncan2 | Jul 11, 2020 |
Typical Gibson: brilliant throughout and I can barely tell how it ended. (Loved the incorporation of previous characters, though, which never felt forced). ( )
  goliathonline | Jul 7, 2020 |
the AI behind it all
  ritaer | May 10, 2020 |
Can't really pretend that I fully understood this novel. It is about the nature of reality and interdependence right?

Four seemingly independent stories all come together at the end of the book but I must admit that I did not feel that satisfied at the end. It probably didn't help that I was rushing to finish the book in my lunch hour, I had 46 pages left - I didn't just want a few left.

I had also not read the first two books of the trilogy which would probably have helped.

Are dreams real or is life just a dream? Are we all figments of each other's imaginations? I think that is what the author is trying to say.

What do you think? ( )

Kornya, ZsoltTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my sister,
Fran Gibson,
with amazement and love...
The ghost was her father's parting gift, presented by a black-clad secretary in a departure lounge at Narita.
The world hadn't ever had so many moving parts or so few labels. [Mona: 231]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,949,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible