Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson

Mona Lisa Overdrive (original 1988; edition 1989)

by William Gibson

Series: Sprawl (3)

William Gibson, author of the extraordinary multiaward-winning novel Neuromancer, has written his most brilliant and thrilling work to date . . .The Mona Lisa Overdrive.   Enter Gibson's unique world--lyric and mechanical, sensual and violent, sobering and exciting--where multinational corporations and high tech outlaws vie for power, traveling into the computer-generated universe known as cyberspace.  Into this world comes Mona, a young girl with a murky past and an uncertain future whose life is on a collision course with internationally famous Sense/Net star Angie Mitchell.  Since childhood, Angie has been able to tap into cyberspace without a computer.  Now, from inside cyberspace, a kidnapping plot is masterminded by a phantom entity who has plans for Mona, Angie, and all humanity, plans that cannot be controlled . . . or even known.  And behind the intrigue lurks the shadowy Yazuka, the powerful Japanese underworld, whose leaders ruthlessly manipulate people and events to suit their own purposes . . . or so they think.… (more)
Member:Falcon124
Title:Mona Lisa Overdrive
Authors:William Gibson
Info:Spectra (1989), Edition: later printing, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****

Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson (1988)

English (38)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (40)
Third in William Gibson's Sprawl series, we are looking at classic William Gibson prose. High tech and high volume prose. Technological, detailed, dense prose that sometimes you really need to pay close attention to.

Four threads come together in a unconventional way for the grand climax. We see Susan (Molly from Neuromancer), Angie Mitchell, a cyberspace celebrity, Kumiko is a young Japanese girl with a mobster father, and finally Angie, a trusting prostitute. Its a jumble at times but perfectly William Gibson. This story like the other two in this series can be read standalone.

This is my second read of this book. ( )
  gbraden | Dec 31, 2019 |
Science Fiction that seems to drift just little past our current reality. Each page carries you just a bit further until suddenly you realize you can't get back. Anything that was intersting about the Matrix films was lifted liberally from Gibson's work. This story deals with celebrity, destiny and the pursuit of dreams realized in quite unreal fashion. Four story lines are gradually intertwined only to unravel in spectacular fashion. Wondrous is his virtual prediction of the internet and all that it allows and can reveal. ( )
  KurtWombat | Sep 15, 2019 |
A fun dive back into the world of the Sprawl. Some of the characterization was kind of weak but that's okay - I'm in this for:

- capitalism is bad
- technology also
- criminal/corporate intrigue
- molly millions beats up everyone, again

It took a while to set up the different threads of the story, and the way he tied them together was neat but fairly predictable, but it was satisfying nonetheless. ( )
  haagen_daz | Jun 6, 2019 |
Well...I didn't know this was the third book when I picked it up. And then I did but read that it was a loose trilogy, so I thought it'd be okay anyway. I did enjoy a majority of the book, but I felt lost at certain times, particularly Angela's chapters. She kept referencing things that I assume happened in a prior novel without really explaining them. My fault, not Gibson's.

But I also felt that it was a lot of build-up to nothing. There's sort of a neat ending but I can't figure out what most of the previous happenings had to do with it. Why were Kumiko (the only really likeable character) and her father in it at all? Their drama is hand-waved away at the end.

I seem to recall Idoru, the only other Gibson I've read, being like that as well. So I'm putting that on him.

I might go back and read Neuromancer, go from there and see if any of it makes more sense, or I might not. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |

Kornya, ZsoltTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my sister,
Fran Gibson,
with amazement and love...
The ghost was her father's parting gift, presented by a black-clad secretary in a departure lounge at Narita.
The world hadn't ever had so many moving parts or so few labels. [Mona: 231]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,819,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible