Trickster's Choice by Tamora Pierce
3,169None1,761 (4.21)89
adventure (33) aly (18) crows (16) Daughter of the Lioness (60) espionage (23) fantasy (572) female protagonist (16) fiction (193) gods (30) hardcover (18) heroine (18) magic (99) novel (20) own (19) pierce (20) read (44) series (53) sff (26) signed (16) slavery (19) spy (54) Tamora Pierce (50) teen (34) to-read (21) Tortall (151) trickster (23) YA (152) YA Fantasy (15) young adult (211) young adult fiction (19)
    Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith (espertus)
    espertus: Both books are fantasies with strong-minded young female protagonists fighting tyranny in alliance with forces of nature. While both heroines come from noble families, they are very different: Crown Duel's Countess Meliara is a naive and untutored orphan, while Trickster's Alianne has been well schooled by her spymaster father and has lived in the shadow of her famous mother. I think the two sets of books (each of which was first published as two separate novels) might appeal to the same readers, although Court Duel is lighter and Tricksters more complex.… (more)
    StarCrossed by Elizabeth C. Bunce (multilingualmaid)
    Talon of the Unnamed Goddess by C. R. Daems (0628perfect)
    0628perfect: Both of these books have strong female characters. However I think that Aly and Aisha have the same wit and cunning. Aly uses her wit and cunning to be a spy. However Aisha uses her wits to survive to become a Talon. If you enjoyed the spy intrigue of Trickster's choice then you will enjoy the shadow war tactics of the Talons.… (more)
    Aurelia by Anne Osterlund (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories involve young women in powerful positions who must constantly beware of the intrigues (and threats of danger) that surround them. Betrayal is close at hand and an outside spy is brought in to protect them. In Aurelia, it's the princess and her former classmate Robert. In Trickster's Choice - a contender for the position of heir against the established class and a foreigner brought to the country as a slave.… (more)
    Dragonfly by Julia Golding (foggidawn)
    The Wizard Heir by Cinda Williams Chima (l_rigsby)

I’m a fan of Tamora Pierce. I adore her Alanna and Kel series. I didn’t particularly like this new book. This seems to be fairly consistent with other reviewers. Aly didn’t hold my attention very well. I was more interested in the brief glimpses we get of Alanna as a mother than of Alanna’s daughter. That’s generally bad when Alanna is only featured in a few scenes. What I really liked about the Alanna and Kel series was the gender bender: girls pretending to be guys so they can follow a dream. This took a completely different route. Which could be mostly why I didn’t enjoy this book as much. I like a certain Peirce style. Anyways the book was okay, a little soft around the edges even for a YA. Nothing I’d read a second time. ( )
  Kassilem | Aug 13, 2013 |
This is the first time I am reading Pierce & thinking, "this is a YA book." This is not a good thing — this is full of simplicity and easily-vanquished enemies who declare themselves to be evil and a charming, patient, straightforward suitor. Not one of her best works. ( )
  cricketbats | Apr 18, 2013 |
I have loved every book of Tamora Pierce's that I have read up until this point. Which is why my dislike of this story is so disappointing. The tale is very slow moving and mostly about political intrigue, which I can't imagine holding the interest of adolescent girls when it didn't even hold mine. The protagonist is a teenage girl who runs away from home to prove herself. When her parents find out they don't even mind until they find out she isn't where she said she was.

Where is she? Captured and sold into slavery. Yet she is in no way upset about this, nor under any duress. Her owners are, of course, "nice" slave-owners who treat their slaves very well. Hunh?? She is tasked with protecting the lives of the teenage daughters (did I mention she is just a teenager herself?) It's all very absurd and the weird slave dynamic (being a slave is just a lark to her and the other slaves are all very loyal even though there are both slaves and servants with the resultant hierarchy) just makes for a weird situation.

I listened to this book on cd and the reader's accents were inconsistent and the voices all sounded the same, which certainly didn't help make the book interesting. I finally gave up halfway through.

Don't judge Pierce's books by this one: get her Tales of the Lioness or Terrier or any of her other books but give this one a miss. ( )
  maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |

maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |
I’d heard good things about this book and its sequel, so despite not having read any Tamora Pierce for years, I decided to give it a try. I liked seeing a different view of the familiar old characters and Aly herself is marvellous. I never was a huge Alanna fan, so it was nice to hear Aly herself articulate some of the things I found frustrating myself. It reminded me in parts of The Thief, which is never a bad thing. ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alvarado, TriniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

To Phyllis Westberg, for knowing the best time to fire me and for giving me the best rewrite advice I've ever gotten: read aloud
George Cooper, Baron of Pirate's Swoop, second in command of his realm's spies, put his documents aside and surveyed his only daughter as she paused by his study door.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375828796, Paperback)

To the great joy of her many fans, Tamora Pierce with this book begins a new saga of Tortall to add to The Song of the Lioness Quartet, the Immortals Quartet, and The Protector of the Small tetralogy. At the center of each of these books is always a strong and resourceful young woman who masters the arts of swordplay and knightly warfare in the magical medieval country of Tortall. Alianne, or Aly, daughter of the warrior queen Alanna the Lioness, has all these skills, but also a delicious sense of humor, which serves her well when she is chosen by the trickster god Kyprioth to serve as his secret agent and a slave for a year in the embattled Copper Isles. There the dark-skinned natives, or raka, have been conquered and crushed by the laurin, light-skinned people from the mainland. The burning raka resentment is fueled by prophecies of a twice royal queen who will free them, aided by the "wise one, the cunning one, the strong one, the warrior, and the crows." Just how each of the colorful characters and Aly herself fit into this prophecy and Kyprioth’s tricky plan keeps readers guessing. Aly plots to show her skill at spying as she flirts with the god and is courted by Nawat, a crow transformed into a handsome young man, who is puzzled when she rejects his attempts to mate-feed her with grubs and ants.

The pages of this long but fast-paced adventure zip by, enlivened by intrigue, skirmishes, comedy, romance, and lots of dramatic clothes. (Ages 10 to 14) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:56 -0400)

Alianne must call forth her mother's courage and her father's wit in order to survive on the Copper Isles in a royal court rife with political intrigue and murderous conspiracy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,481,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible