Trickster's Choice by Tamora Pierce
    Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith (espertus)
    espertus: Both books are fantasies with strong-minded young female protagonists fighting tyranny in alliance with forces of nature. While both heroines come from noble families, they are very different: Crown Duel's Countess Meliara is a naive and untutored orphan, while Trickster's Alianne has been well schooled by her spymaster father and has lived in the shadow of her famous mother. I think the two sets of books (each of which was first published as two separate novels) might appeal to the same readers, although Court Duel is lighter and Tricksters more complex.… (more)
    StarCrossed by Elizabeth C. Bunce (multilingualmaid)
    Talon of the Unnamed Goddess by C. R. Daems (0628perfect)
    0628perfect: Both of these books have strong female characters. However I think that Aly and Aisha have the same wit and cunning. Aly uses her wit and cunning to be a spy. However Aisha uses her wits to survive to become a Talon. If you enjoyed the spy intrigue of Trickster's choice then you will enjoy the shadow war tactics of the Talons.… (more)
    Aurelia by Anne Osterlund (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories involve young women in powerful positions who must constantly beware of the intrigues (and threats of danger) that surround them. Betrayal is close at hand and an outside spy is brought in to protect them. In Aurelia, it's the princess and her former classmate Robert. In Trickster's Choice - a contender for the position of heir against the established class and a foreigner brought to the country as a slave.… (more)
    Dragonfly by Julia Golding (foggidawn)
    The Wizard Heir by Cinda Williams Chima (l_rigsby)

Okay, I am a long time fan of Tamora Pierce. Encountered her when I was a young teenager and eagerly read most of her Tortall collection. I noticed the release for Trickster's choice and I bought the hardcover. Trickster's choice was interesting. I liked reading about Aly and her difficulties and it was good that she was a spy and not a warrior. It lost a star however for the fact that she was 'too' good. She never seemed in any real danger of failure. It also lost points for the main love interest. Granted this doesn't really kick in until book two, but Nawat annoyed me. He's a crow and only interested in making nestlings. Outside of Disney, I detest anthropomorphic cuddly things. But these things aside, it is an enjoyable read. ( )
  Claire.Warner | Feb 8, 2015 |
  Claire.Warner | Feb 8, 2015 |
I have read this novel plenty of times and it never gets old. Everything feels fresh and new and with each reading I remember something new, feel the same feelings as if I'm reading it for the very first time. The chemistry between Alianne and Nawat is fun and wonderful. I also like the Trickster god as well, for he is always teasing but firm at the same time. Alianne is smart and willing to work hard towards her goals while Nawat is determined to be with Aly and learn about the human way of life. The Raka are also determined to win back their kingdom, and with Aly's help... well they could aspire to anything they wished ( )
  mariahsidhe | Feb 3, 2015 |
I’m a fan of Tamora Pierce. I adore her Alanna and Kel series. I didn’t particularly like this new book. This seems to be fairly consistent with other reviewers. Aly didn’t hold my attention very well. I was more interested in the brief glimpses we get of Alanna as a mother than of Alanna’s daughter. That’s generally bad when Alanna is only featured in a few scenes. What I really liked about the Alanna and Kel series was the gender bender: girls pretending to be guys so they can follow a dream. This took a completely different route. Which could be mostly why I didn’t enjoy this book as much. I like a certain Peirce style. Anyways the book was okay, a little soft around the edges even for a YA. Nothing I’d read a second time. ( )
  Kassilem | Aug 13, 2013 |
Alana is a mom now and her daughter wants to be independent but help her parents. She becomes a spy.
  HillMurraySchool | Jun 26, 2013 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alvarado, TriniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

To Phyllis Westberg, for knowing the best time to fire me and for giving me the best rewrite advice I've ever gotten: read aloud
George Cooper, Baron of Pirate's Swoop, second in command of his realm's spies, put his documents aside and surveyed his only daughter as she paused by his study door.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375828796, Paperback)

To the great joy of her many fans, Tamora Pierce with this book begins a new saga of Tortall to add to The Song of the Lioness Quartet, the Immortals Quartet, and The Protector of the Small tetralogy. At the center of each of these books is always a strong and resourceful young woman who masters the arts of swordplay and knightly warfare in the magical medieval country of Tortall. Alianne, or Aly, daughter of the warrior queen Alanna the Lioness, has all these skills, but also a delicious sense of humor, which serves her well when she is chosen by the trickster god Kyprioth to serve as his secret agent and a slave for a year in the embattled Copper Isles. There the dark-skinned natives, or raka, have been conquered and crushed by the laurin, light-skinned people from the mainland. The burning raka resentment is fueled by prophecies of a twice royal queen who will free them, aided by the "wise one, the cunning one, the strong one, the warrior, and the crows." Just how each of the colorful characters and Aly herself fit into this prophecy and Kyprioth’s tricky plan keeps readers guessing. Aly plots to show her skill at spying as she flirts with the god and is courted by Nawat, a crow transformed into a handsome young man, who is puzzled when she rejects his attempts to mate-feed her with grubs and ants.

The pages of this long but fast-paced adventure zip by, enlivened by intrigue, skirmishes, comedy, romance, and lots of dramatic clothes. (Ages 10 to 14) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:58 -0400)

Alianne must call forth her mother's courage and her father's wit in order to survive on the Copper Isles in a royal court rife with political intrigue and murderous conspiracy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,005,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible