Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art by…

Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art (original 1993; edition 1994)

by Scott McCloud

Member:jaeminuf
Title:Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art
Authors:Scott McCloud
Info:Harper Paperbacks (1994), Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:Acid-, Aesthetics, Nonfiction, Pop Culture, Pub Harper, Read+, Visuality, Shelf

Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art by Scott McCloud (1993)

English (70)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Korean (1)  All languages (76)
Excellent insights into communication, art, and design. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Très bon livre aidant à la compréhension des comics: dessins, narratologie, couleurs, graphiation, notion de temps et d'espace sur les gaufriers, déroulement de l'action... L'auteur étant lui-même un illustrateur de comics explique avec simplicité et efficacité les avantages et inconvénients de ce support narratif.

Very useful book which explains perfectly how comic books work: the types of drawing, narratology, graphiation, the use of colors, the notion of time and space on the panel, the progress of the action... The artist Scott McCloud explains a very clear and effective way the advantages and drawback of this medium.
  remy-valero | Mar 20, 2016 |
This is a fascinating introduction to graphic-fiction theory. McCloud manages to create almost a metatheory, not only explaining but also illustrating elements of design theory, art history, and graphic storytelling in a surprisingly concise and understandable format. Plus, it's a comic book! One of the coolest and most invigorating creative writing texts I've read in a long while. Better still, McCloud was smart enough to lead his readers to other, greater writer/theorists (I've just picked up Will Eisner's "Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative"), so this book also serves as an invaluable reference source. My only complaint is that it's too short. I'm definitely looking into more McCloud. ( )
  Snoek-Brown | Feb 7, 2016 |
Great tip from the comics panel at the 2015 Bristol Festival of Literature. A great way into what is a whole new world of literature for me. ( )
  Bernadette877 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Art theory for comics. Basically. At first, I thought this might be a justification for "why read comics" but it's really a comics-ized (is that a word?) textbook on the unique aspects of comics as an art, practice, and craft. There's a small bibliography at the back. The book isn't dated; but it is out of date since was published in 1993-4. I don't know that I'm curious enough to find something newer on comics and art theory or history; but a newer bibliography might be worth hunting down. ( )
  lesmel | Dec 31, 2015 |

Scott McCloudprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eisner, WillEditorial advisorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilEditorial Advisorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lappan, BobLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Martin, MarkEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
My old pal Matt Feazell called the other day.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006097625X, Paperback)

A comic book about comic books. McCloud, in an incredibly accessible style, explains the details of how comics work: how they're composed, read and understood. More than just a book about comics, this gets to the heart of how we deal with visual languages in general. "The potential of comics is limitless and exciting!" writes McCloud. This should be required reading for every school teacher. Pulitzer Prize-winner Art Spiegelman says, "The most intelligent comics I've seen in a long time."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

Praised throughout the cartoon industry by such luminaries as Art Spiegelman, Matt Groening, and Will Eisner, this innovative comic book provides a detailed look at the history, meaning, and art of comics and cartooning.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,253,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible