Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art by…

Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art (original 1993; edition 1994)

by Scott McCloud

Member:jaeminuf
Title:Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art
Authors:Scott McCloud
Info:Harper Paperbacks (1994), Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:Acid-, Aesthetics, Nonfiction, Pop Culture, Pub HarperPerennial, Read+, Visuality, Shelf1N

Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud (1993)

English (59)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Korean (1)  All languages (65)
Who knew that there is an academic approach to comics? This is the first of Scott McCloud's three books on the subject of comics, and of course it is presented in comic format. My younger son, who is a comics and manga fan, and I read this side-by-side and we learned a lot. Next time I pick up a graphic novel, what I've learned here will probably give me a fresh eye on "how it's done". ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | Aug 7, 2014 |
Scott McCloud published this classic in 1992 after 15 years thinking about and trying to understand comics. In comic book form he comes up with a useful definition of comics, traces its history, and uses drawings to "illustrate" ideas and theories. The book's drawings are clever and creative and the narrative's almost philosophical musings on art, language, and the specific medium of comics can at times be conceptually difficult. Nevertheless, this serious book is a must have for those adults who held on to their childhood comic book collection or never let this passion fade. After reading Understanding Comics it's safe to say that you'll have a deeper appreciation of graphic novels and the artists who create them. ( )
  OccassionalRead | Jul 9, 2014 |
And now I do, a lot better than I did before. And if you want to write one, and you haven't been reading comics since you were ten, there's a lot to learn. ( )
1 vote CSRodgers | May 3, 2014 |
I put off reading this book for a while because it took me almost a semester to slog through his other book on the future of comics. Finally picked it up for a class this next semester, and found it to actually be really good - real in-depth look at the science/history behind comics. ( )
  KingdomOfOdd | Dec 9, 2013 |
Understanding Comics is a pretty clever book, using the medium of comics to talk seriously about comics -- which is very likely to be dismissed by those who either insist comics should all be fun (and therefore if they're not interested in this, it's no good) or all comics are fun (and therefore have no serious value). That's a mistake. I hadn't heard of this before I started the Coursera course I'm doing on comics, but I don't need any prompting to take it seriously.

Possibly my favourite insight from it is about the idea of closure -- the space between panels during which the reader has to figure out what's happening -- and how that makes the reader complicit in every act in a comic. ( )
  shanaqui | Sep 29, 2013 |
My old pal Matt Feazell called the other day.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006097625X, Paperback)

A comic book about comic books. McCloud, in an incredibly accessible style, explains the details of how comics work: how they're composed, read and understood. More than just a book about comics, this gets to the heart of how we deal with visual languages in general. "The potential of comics is limitless and exciting!" writes McCloud. This should be required reading for every school teacher. Pulitzer Prize-winner Art Spiegelman says, "The most intelligent comics I've seen in a long time."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:01 -0400)

Praised throughout the cartoon industry by such luminaries as Art Spiegelman, Matt Groening, and Will Eisner, this innovative comic book provides a detailed look at the history, meaning, and art of comics and cartooning.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,115,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible