Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud

Understanding Comics (original 1993; edition 1993)

by Scott McCloud

Member:HeidiBlanco
Title:Understanding Comics
Authors:Scott McCloud
Info:Tundra Pub (1993), Paperback, 216 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Graphic novel, comics, history

Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud (1993)

English (61)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Korean (1)  All languages (67)
My blog post about this book is at this link ( )
  SuziQoregon | Oct 28, 2014 |
A great book for understanding any art on a deeper level. His six steps of art particularly resonated with me, and I think they're a wonderful lens to look at the craft of any art form. ( )
  Chuck.QuinnIV | Aug 25, 2014 |
Who knew that there is an academic approach to comics? This is the first of Scott McCloud's three books on the subject of comics, and of course it is presented in comic format. My younger son, who is a comics and manga fan, and I read this side-by-side and we learned a lot. Next time I pick up a graphic novel, what I've learned here will probably give me a fresh eye on "how it's done". ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | Aug 7, 2014 |
Scott McCloud published this classic in 1992 after 15 years thinking about and trying to understand comics. In comic book form he comes up with a useful definition of comics, traces its history, and uses drawings to "illustrate" ideas and theories. The book's drawings are clever and creative and the narrative's almost philosophical musings on art, language, and the specific medium of comics can at times be conceptually difficult. Nevertheless, this serious book is a must have for those adults who held on to their childhood comic book collection or never let this passion fade. After reading Understanding Comics it's safe to say that you'll have a deeper appreciation of graphic novels and the artists who create them. ( )
  OccassionalRead | Jul 9, 2014 |
And now I do, a lot better than I did before. And if you want to write one, and you haven't been reading comics since you were ten, there's a lot to learn. ( )
1 vote CSRodgers | May 3, 2014 |
My old pal Matt Feazell called the other day.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006097625X, Paperback)

A comic book about comic books. McCloud, in an incredibly accessible style, explains the details of how comics work: how they're composed, read and understood. More than just a book about comics, this gets to the heart of how we deal with visual languages in general. "The potential of comics is limitless and exciting!" writes McCloud. This should be required reading for every school teacher. Pulitzer Prize-winner Art Spiegelman says, "The most intelligent comics I've seen in a long time."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:01 -0400)

Praised throughout the cartoon industry by such luminaries as Art Spiegelman, Matt Groening, and Will Eisner, this innovative comic book provides a detailed look at the history, meaning, and art of comics and cartooning.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,465,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible