Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud

Understanding Comics (original 1993; edition 1993)

by Scott McCloud

Member:HeidiBlanco
Title:Understanding Comics
Authors:Scott McCloud
Info:Tundra Pub (1993), Paperback, 216 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Graphic novel, comics, history

Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art by Scott McCloud (1993)

English (68)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Korean (1)  All languages (74)
This is a fascinating introduction to graphic-fiction theory. McCloud manages to create almost a metatheory, not only explaining but also illustrating elements of design theory, art history, and graphic storytelling in a surprisingly concise and understandable format. Plus, it's a comic book! One of the coolest and most invigorating creative writing texts I've read in a long while. Better still, McCloud was smart enough to lead his readers to other, greater writer/theorists (I've just picked up Will Eisner's "Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative"), so this book also serves as an invaluable reference source. My only complaint is that it's too short. I'm definitely looking into more McCloud. ( )
  Snoek-Brown | Feb 7, 2016 |
Great tip from the comics panel at the 2015 Bristol Festival of Literature. A great way into what is a whole new world of literature for me. ( )
  Bernadette877 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Art theory for comics. Basically. At first, I thought this might be a justification for "why read comics" but it's really a comics-ized (is that a word?) textbook on the unique aspects of comics as an art, practice, and craft. There's a small bibliography at the back. The book isn't dated; but it is out of date since was published in 1993-4. I don't know that I'm curious enough to find something newer on comics and art theory or history; but a newer bibliography might be worth hunting down. ( )
  lesmel | Dec 31, 2015 |
THE book for comprehending this new (ancient, original) storytelling medium.

You think you know comics? You don't know till you've read this (ok, and Will Eisner's Comics As Sequential Art). ( )
  VladVerano | Oct 20, 2015 |
Published in the early nineties, McCloud's discussion of comics takes the form of a comic itself, and both the discussion and the use of the form to enhance that discussion are brilliant. He defines comics, explores the language of comics, and illustrates how comics work, including the ways they suggest and manipulate movement and time. McCloud also explores briefly the history of comics, both as the average American might perceive them (think comic books) and as we might identify them as an art form stretching back thousands of years. The discussion of how modern comics have developed differently in the west and in Japan is especially interesting. Anyone who has ever read a comic book or even the funny papers probably has some understanding of how comics work, but this book does an excellent job taking the form apart and pinpointing exactly what is going on narratively, visually, and artistically when we read them. Recommended for anyone, really, but especially to anyone interested in comics, visual art, or narrative. ( )
  lycomayflower | Oct 19, 2015 |

Scott McCloudprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eisner, WillEditorial advisorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilEditorial Advisorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lappan, BobLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Martin, MarkEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
My old pal Matt Feazell called the other day.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006097625X, Paperback)

A comic book about comic books. McCloud, in an incredibly accessible style, explains the details of how comics work: how they're composed, read and understood. More than just a book about comics, this gets to the heart of how we deal with visual languages in general. "The potential of comics is limitless and exciting!" writes McCloud. This should be required reading for every school teacher. Pulitzer Prize-winner Art Spiegelman says, "The most intelligent comics I've seen in a long time."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

Praised throughout the cartoon industry by such luminaries as Art Spiegelman, Matt Groening, and Will Eisner, this innovative comic book provides a detailed look at the history, meaning, and art of comics and cartooning.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,189,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible