Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud

Understanding Comics (original 1993; edition 1993)

by Scott McCloud

3,192None1,743 (4.35)48
Member:HeidiBlanco
Title:Understanding Comics
Authors:Scott McCloud
Info:Tundra Pub (1993), Paperback, 216 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Graphic novel, comics, history

Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud (1993)

Recently added byUXLendingLibrary, leo8, private library, Danako, bowlich, okr, choutos, svjleh
art (237) art history (31) cartooning (15) cartoons (28) comic (63) comic books (47) comics (629) Comix (16) criticism (48) design (29) drawing (25) graphic (16) graphic novel (305) history (43) how-to (20) illustration (18) literary criticism (30) literary theory (19) media (20) non-fiction (295) own (18) read (58) reference (69) Scott McCloud (16) sequential art (34) storytelling (19) theory (64) to-read (17) wishlist (13) writing (49)

English (56)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Korean (1)  All languages (62)
I put off reading this book for a while because it took me almost a semester to slog through his other book on the future of comics. Finally picked it up for a class this next semester, and found it to actually be really good - real in-depth look at the science/history behind comics. ( )
  Zabeth | Dec 9, 2013 |
Understanding Comics is a pretty clever book, using the medium of comics to talk seriously about comics -- which is very likely to be dismissed by those who either insist comics should all be fun (and therefore if they're not interested in this, it's no good) or all comics are fun (and therefore have no serious value). That's a mistake. I hadn't heard of this before I started the Coursera course I'm doing on comics, but I don't need any prompting to take it seriously.

Possibly my favourite insight from it is about the idea of closure -- the space between panels during which the reader has to figure out what's happening -- and how that makes the reader complicit in every act in a comic. ( )
  shanaqui | Sep 29, 2013 |
A comic about comics! Interesting if you've ever wondered about how comics work and why they're fun to read. ( )
  wethewatched | Sep 24, 2013 |
an exploration of comics and comic book style art through a comic, clever and interesting. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 11, 2013 |
Inspires me to make comic art. I think I will. ( )
  morbusiff | May 9, 2013 |
My old pal Matt Feazell called the other day.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006097625X, Paperback)

A comic book about comic books. McCloud, in an incredibly accessible style, explains the details of how comics work: how they're composed, read and understood. More than just a book about comics, this gets to the heart of how we deal with visual languages in general. "The potential of comics is limitless and exciting!" writes McCloud. This should be required reading for every school teacher. Pulitzer Prize-winner Art Spiegelman says, "The most intelligent comics I've seen in a long time."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:01 -0400)

Praised throughout the cartoon industry by such luminaries as Art Spiegelman, Matt Groening, and Will Eisner, this innovative comic book provides a detailed look at the history, meaning, and art of comics and cartooning.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,411,496 books! | Top bar: Always visible