Understanding comics by Scott McCloud

Understanding comics (original 1993; edition 1993)

by Scott McCloud

Member:emcglohon
Title:Understanding comics
Authors:Scott McCloud
Info:[Northampton, MA] : Kitchen Sink Press, c1993.

Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art by Scott McCloud (1993)

English (73)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  English (1)  Korean (1)  English (79)
Informative and intriguing, but a little dry. A lot of the concepts in here are applicable to visual creativity in general, so you certainly don't have to be specifically interested in comics to appreciate and learn from Understanding Comics. It's a fantastic introduction to get familiar with concepts and terminology. I would recommend it to any beginning visual artist, but I think it is definitely just a starting point to understanding visual media. ( )
  theCamille | Oct 31, 2016 |
I could spend a long time writing about this book and telling you what the book is actually about and what is included, but that is not my purpose. Rather I'm here to tell you whether the book is worth reading. What the book is about is self-explanatory as the title says it all in very plain language. Written in 1992, I had wondered whether this much-lauded book was worth reading as I thought it might be out-dated and irrelevant by this time. It is certainly worth reading and probably required reading for anyone who considers themselves more than just a casual comics reader. It is outdated in some parts when the author talks about comics in the present and future as that was twenty-five years ago and during that time comics have come a long way as McCloud predicts they might. The outdated parts are immaterial though as much of the book is about the history, appreciation, comprehension and techniques of comics. (both the writing and reading of). One thing I really enjoyed was that the author takes into account the difference between North American/European comics and Japan. Japanese comics evolved in a totally different manner due to their isolation for many years, but at the time of writing the Western world was just starting to employ some of the Asian techniques and now, of course, manga is translated into English (and other languages) and widely read throughout the world. At first I thought the book could do with a second edition updating the nineties content and continuing the story to modern times but I have since found that Mr McCloud has written two more books on this topic, one in 2000 and the other in 2006, which I assume will fill that hole and I'm quite anxious to read them now. Understanding Comics is a must-read for anyone even slightly serious about comics. ( )
  ElizaJane | Aug 7, 2016 |
Understanding Comics might as well be Scott McCloud's magnum opus, but it's certainly not for everyone. The casual comic book reader in particular might find it too "high art" for their tastes. Here the author turns on "Developer Mode" for one of the most thorough master's class of the comic medium I've ever read. It's a mashup of Comic Theory, Analytics, Fine Art, History and Philosophy unlike any I've ever seen before. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Jun 22, 2016 |
Excellent insights into communication, art, and design. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Très bon livre aidant à la compréhension des comics: dessins, narratologie, couleurs, graphiation, notion de temps et d'espace sur les gaufriers, déroulement de l'action... L'auteur étant lui-même un illustrateur de comics explique avec simplicité et efficacité les avantages et inconvénients de ce support narratif.

Very useful book which explains perfectly how comic books work: the types of drawing, narratology, graphiation, the use of colors, the notion of time and space on the panel, the progress of the action... The artist Scott McCloud explains a very clear and effective way the advantages and drawback of this medium.
  remy-valero | Mar 20, 2016 |

Scott McCloudprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eisner, WillEditorial advisorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilEditorial Advisorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lappan, BobLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Martin, MarkEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
My old pal Matt Feazell called the other day.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006097625X, Paperback)

A comic book about comic books. McCloud, in an incredibly accessible style, explains the details of how comics work: how they're composed, read and understood. More than just a book about comics, this gets to the heart of how we deal with visual languages in general. "The potential of comics is limitless and exciting!" writes McCloud. This should be required reading for every school teacher. Pulitzer Prize-winner Art Spiegelman says, "The most intelligent comics I've seen in a long time."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

Praised throughout the cartoon industry by such luminaries as Art Spiegelman, Matt Groening, and Will Eisner, this innovative comic book provides a detailed look at the history, meaning, and art of comics and cartooning.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,637,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible