Future Shock by Alvin Toffler

Future Shock (original 1970; edition 1971)

by Alvin Toffler

"The best study of our times that I know. . . . Of all the books that I have read in the last 20 years, it is by far the one that has taught me the most."--Le Figaro Future Shock is about the present. Future Shock is about what is happening today to people and groups who are overwhelmed by change. Change affects our products, communities, organizations--even our patterns of friendship and love. Future Shock vividly describes the emerging global civilization: tomorrow's family life, the rise of new businesses, subcultures, life-styles, and human relationships--all of them temporary.   Future Shock illuminates the world of tomorrow by exploding countless clichés about today.   Future Shock will intrigue, provoke, frighten, encourage, and, above all, change everyone who reads it.   Praise for Future Shock   "Explosive . . . brilliantly formulated."--The Wall Street Journal   "A spectacular outcrop of a formidable, organized intellectual effort."--Manchester Guardian   "Revealing, exciting, encouraging, brilliant."--The Christian Science Monitor   "Immensely readable."--Newsweek   "Alvin Toffler has sent something of a shock-wave through Western society."--London Daily Express   "To the elite . . . who often get committed to age-old institutions or material goals alone, let Toffler's Future Shock be a lesson and a warning."--The Times of India… (more)
Member:beefviper
Title:Future Shock
Authors:Alvin Toffler
Info:Bantam Books (1971), Edition: 15th print, Paperback, 561 pages

Future Shock by Alvin Toffler (1970)

English (13)  Italian (1)  All languages (14)
Đây là một tác phẩm rất hay, dự báo về tương lai của xã hội siêu công nghiệp sắp đến, một cuộc cách mạng còn sâu rộng hơn cuộc cách mạng công nghiệp ở thế kỷ 17, 18, vì không chỉ ảnh hưởng đến kinh tế mà còn liên quan đến mọi khía cạnh khác của xã hội. Sự thay đổi của xã hội sắp đến không chỉ ở sự khác biệt so với hiện tại, mà còn là tốc độ của thay đổi, nó xảy ra với một nhịp độ đến chóng mặt, tác động không chỉ đối với từng cá nhân, mà còn đối với tập thể, quốc gia, tạo ra cái gọi là “Cú shock tương lai”, một từ do tác giả đưa ra, đã bắt đầu biến thành ngôn ngữ thông dụng trong báo chí, sách và cả từ điển. Cú sốc tương lai (Future Shock) là một trong bộ ba tác phẩm nổi tiếng đã đưa tác giả lên vị trí "nhà tương lai học lừng danh".
  Phuong_Susu | Apr 4, 2016 |
I don't think I can add much to what has been said about this book. The only thing I will note is that while he never says that fast-paced change is wrong, the tone of the first half clearly implies it - a kind of shock tactics - and only then does he say that what we need is not less change but "a different change." Later still he goes further and says "clearly we need not less change but more change." And that's after scarring the pants off us! Still, this book book was ground-breaking in it's day and although it might seem (in parts) like a collection of anecdotes strung together, it still qualifies a seminal work that caught the world's attention. ( )
  philAbrams | Aug 13, 2015 |
This book is dated in the BEST of ways! One day it would be amazing to show this book to my son, and explain to him some of the cultural things I have gleamed from my parents, about how life was like when Nixon was president... and to read this book from someone in that time, where he is talking about things I am thinking about in my time, like gay marriage and how things have little value any more, is astounding!

I read Revolutionary Wealth a while ago and it was good... but this is a beautiful time capsule.

Very secular, but he doesn't pretend to be theological (though Harvey Cox does have a cameo!) ( )
  aegossman | Feb 25, 2015 |
Dust jacket has subtitle: a study of mass bewilderment in the face of accelerating change.'
  LibraryofMistakes | Mar 11, 2014 |
Cram-packed with observations and extrapolations about coping with the increasing pace of change in society. ( )
  disarmadillo | Jun 3, 2013 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

For Sam, Rose, Heidi and Karen, My closest links with time ...
In the three short decades between now and the twenty-first century, millions of ordinary, psychologically normal people will face an abrupt collision with the future.
...advancing technology tends to lower the costs of manufacture much more rapidly than the costs of repair work. The one is automated, the other remains largely a handcraft operation. This means that it often becomes cheaper to replace than repair. It is economically sensible to build cheap, unrepairable, throw-away objects, even though they may not last as long as repairable objects.
In the technological systems of tomorrow - fast, fluid and self-regulating - machines will deal with the flow of physical materials; men with the flow of information and insight. Machines will increasingly perform the routine tasks; men the intellectual and creative tasks. Machines and men both, instead of being concentrated in gigantic factories and factory cities, will be scattered across the globe, linked together by amazingly sensitive, near-instantaneous communications. Human work will move out of the factory and mass office into the community and the home.
As we move from poverty toward affluence, politics changes from what mathematicians call a zero sum game into a non-zero sum game. In the first, if one player wins another must lose. In the second, all players can win. Finding non-zero sum solutions to our social problems requires all the imagination we can muster. A system for generating imaginative policy ideas could help us take maximum advantage of the non-zero opportunities ahead.

17.8 cm. X 10.8 cm. ; 562 pages

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,560,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible