Star Trek - Destiny - Book II: Mere Mortals…

Star Trek - Destiny - Book II: Mere Mortals (original 2008; edition 2008)

by David Mack (Author), Stephan Martiniere (Cover artist), Alan Dingman (Cover designer)

Member:barbgarcia1987
Title:Star Trek - Destiny - Book II: Mere Mortals
Authors:David Mack (Author)
Other authors:Stephan Martiniere (Cover artist), Alan Dingman (Cover designer)
Info:Pocket Books (2008), First Printing: November 2008, Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Tags:science fiction series, Star Trek, Next Generation, Destiny, End of the Borg, paperback

Mere Mortals by David Mack (2008)

Recently added bykevbayer, shadoe.runner, stargirl92, skay0001, private library, DarylReads1, leo8, JerryMonaco

The journey of the four captains that David Mack began in the first book of his Destiny trilogy continues unabated in Mere Mortals, the second of the novels, and was no less disturbing and unbalancing than the first.

The Borg continue to be an unstoppable force, sweeping aside all resistance that is put in their way – and it really /is/ futile. Superior fire-power and defensive capabilities mean that even the cleverest tactics, and the most advanced ordnance available to the federation and their allies are no match for the merciless enemy that the Borg has become. Nor is there any place to run, for the Borg know no limits, and sooner or later, it appears, they will achieve their aim: genocide – the complete destruction of the human race, the Federation and all of her allies. This continues to be a truly terrifying element of the trilogy.

At the risk of repeating what I said in my review of the first book in the trilogy, the Caeliar arc is still the weakest thread in the development of the plot, but within the pages of Mere Mortals, elements begin to come together a little that leave the reader wondering just where Mack – and the Caeliar are heading. One part of this particular thread that I did not particularly care for was the direction in which the character of Hernandez was being taken. It felt uncomfortable and out of sorts – out of keeping with much of what is 'Star Trek' at its core. I'm certain the questions raised by this character development will be answered in due course, but it made for a difficult time reading through those parts in with Erika Hernandez was a key part.

Mere Mortals is obviously setting up many things for the climax to come in Lost Souls, book three of the trilogy, so the emotional investment the reader makes in subplots regarding members of the Titan crew, and in the apparent breakdown of the ever stoic Jean Luc Picard are sure to be worth the time and pain and frustration, but from time to time, as a reader, I couldn't help but feel like I was being slapped upside the head with some of these parts of the novel. In spite of this, I look forward to reading the culmination of the trilogy and I'm certain that David Mack will not disappoint. ( )
  cedargrove | Jan 28, 2012 |
Good read this book is preparing for the last book in the series and the final conflict with the borg. But still it is a good book. ( )
  Overlord1000 | May 20, 2011 |
This second book in the series is the set up for the battles to come. If you are looking for anything else, I'm not sure if you'd be content with what you find. There is development of small parts of plot here and there and quite a bit of history for the story from the past, but as far as your main characters go, it's mostly just the prep for war and how everyone will handle that.

This is a book of sadness and upset along most of the plot line. Not at all a book to read when you are separated from someone you love. Even knowing that, this part of the series still makes you want to continue on to the next simply to find out how the larger issues among people will be resolved.

Not at all sure I agreed with some of the reasoning people went through in this part of the three part story. Some things felt as if they were rushed so the reader wouldn't spend too much time thinking, "Why did that person make that choice?" Beyond those things though, I was still interested in getting to the third and final part of the series, so I guess the trick worked. ( )
  mirrani | Dec 30, 2010 |
Picking up where Gods of Night left off. The story gets more complicated as the conflicts with the Borg increase. The Federation is preparing for all out war against the Borg, but have no idea where is will come from or how Borg Cubes will be involved. ( )
  knipfty | Mar 26, 2009 |
Picking up where Gods of Night left off, Captain Riker and the Titan have stumbled upon the Caeliar and are now trapped as another captain and crew was. Meanwhile, Captain Picard and Captain Dax have joined forces to investigate the area that the Borg may be using to enter the Alpha Quadrant. And back on Earth, President Bacco must convince every neighboring empire and alliance to help defend the quadrant against the Borg invasion.

Time is running out for the crew of the Titan, and not just in their fight against the Borg. Deanna's pregnancy is becoming more detrimental to her health. But she doesn't want help from the Caeliar even though they are far more advanced technologically. This part of the story bothers me a bit. Obviously, she's distraught and wanting to keep her baby at all costs. But wouldn't you check to see if the Caeliar had the technology to help heal her and keep the baby? I know she doesn't trust them. But if she's truly as desperate to keep her baby (as most women would be), you'd think she'd be willing to try anything. As a female reviewer, I obviously got hung up on this subplot and found myself siding with Troi from the beginning.

Captain Hernandez has gone through a lot of changes, mentally and physically. Her character has the most depth in this story, as the central storyline revolves mostly around her. She's intriguing and easy to sympathize with. I'm looking forward to seeing where the author takes her next.

And, of course, on the frontlines of the invasion, the Borg are proving to be near impossible to combat. As the situation grows worse, tensions and suspense run high. And Mere Mortals ends on a major cliffhanger that left me on the edge of my seat. I'm eagerly awaiting the conclusion - Lost Souls, set to release in late November. Again, Star Trek fans, don't miss this crossover trilogy! ( )
  scifichick | Dec 10, 2008 |

Is contained in

Our torments also may in length of time / Become our elements, these piercing fires /
As soft s now severe, our temper changed /
Into their temper.

-- John Milton, Paradise Lost, book 2
For friends now gone but never forgotten
Blue fire preceded a crimson flash, as one of the Borg cubes on the main viewer erupted into a cloud of blazing wreckage.

On Earth, Federation President Nanietta Bacco gathers allies and adversaries to form a desperate last line of defense against an impending Borg invasion. In deep space, Captain Jean-Luc Picard and Captain Ezri Dax join together to cut off the Collective's route to the Alpha Quadrant. Half a galaxy away, Captain William Riker and the crew of the Starship Titan have made contact with the reclusive Caeliar--survivors of a stellar cataclysm that, two hundred years ago, drove fissures through the structure of space and time, creating a loop of inevitability and consigning another captain and crew to a purgatory from which they could never escape.Now the supremely advanced Caeliar will brook no further intrusion upon their isolation, or against the sanctity of their Great Work.... For the small, finite lives of mere mortals carry little weight in the calculations of gods. But even gods may come to understand that they underestimate humans at their peril.

On Earth, Federation President Nanietta Bacco gathers allies and adversaries to form a desperate last line of defense against an impending Borg invasion. In deep space, Captain Jean-Luc Picard and Captain Ezri Dax join together to cut off the Collective's route to the Alpha Quadrant. Half a galaxy away, Captain William Riker and the crew of the Starship Titan have made contact with the reclusive Caeliar -- survivors of a stellar cataclysm that, two hundred years ago, drove fissures through the structure of space and time, creating a loop of inevitability and consigning another captain and crew to a purgatory from which they could never escape. Now the supremely advanced Caeliar will brook no further intrusion upon their isolation, or against the sanctity of their Great Work....For the small, finite lives of mere mortals carry little weight in the calculations of gods.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,212,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible