Neuromancer by William Gibson

Neuromancer (1984)

by William Gibson

Series: Sprawl (1)

Ghost in the Shell by Masamune Shirow (Project2501)
    Project2501: Shares similar themes such as the ghost dive, cyborgs, artificial intelligence, etc.
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (thebookpile)
    Vurt by Jeff Noon (falkman)
    Rubicon Harvest by C. W. Kesting (Aeryion)
    Aeryion: Though Rubicon Harvest is not cyber-punk, the worlds within are reminiscent of Philip K. Dick and Gibson's gritty, raw Sprawl-like society--complete with hyper-advanced computer processing (liquid digital optical processors!) and synthetic designer drugs that make 'jacking -in' and Substance-D seem like candy!… (more)
    Pattern Recognition by William Gibson (sturlington)
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (LamontCranston)
    After the Long Goodbye by Masaki Yamada (Project2501)
    Babylon Babies by Maurice G. Dantec (S_Meyerson)
    The Electric Church by Jeff Somers (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: If you like your cyberpunk with a bit of noir detective pulps, you'll like Jeff Somers.
    Moxyland by Lauren Beukes (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: South African cyberpunk

English (221)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  French (2)  Tagalog (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (230)
Completed this novel at the second attempt after a break of almost 30 years. It remains frustrating, the writing style is still hard to follow, initially it's hard to understand what is happening, or why. Maybe that reflects the kind of challenge us oldies face with new technology. The payoff is worth it if you persevere. ( )
  EnsignRamsey | Mar 30, 2015 |
DNF. Thought I would try it since it's an Award winning book. But...sorry to the character 'Case'...I just couldn't get into it. Too many books, too little time. On to the next one. ( )
  DaveLancaster | Mar 21, 2015 |
inpired the matrix and definately a very unique scifi adventure novel. However the writing style is (purposefully) hectic and jarring an is not for everyone. ( )
  nmg1 | Mar 20, 2015 |
I struggled a little with this book, which was kind of disappointing because I've always really loved all kinds of futuristic/sci-fi stories. Parts of it kept my attention and left me wanting to know what happened next, and parts of it were extremely dull in my opinion. More often than not, the style of writing made it difficult for me to understand what was going on. In that sense, I was glad it was a group read for school because class discussions helped me understand everything better and think more critically about what was going on.

I didn't feel particularly attached to any of the characters, although they all did get progressively interesting as the story went on. I did get a kick out of Dixie Flatline and definitely pictured him sounding like Bob Odenkirk ( )
  EJFisch | Feb 28, 2015 |
Re-read this after many years and it holds up quite well. ( )
  kenzen | Feb 23, 2015 |
A new vocabulary for a transformed reality: the deeply influential cyberpunk classic, 30 years on from its original publication
added by dClauzel | editThe Guardian, John Mullan (Nov 7, 2014)

I have to apologize for failing to review William Gibson's "Neuromancer" when it appeared last year. I was led to believe I had done Mr. Gibson an injustice when this novel (the author's first) won both of the important 1984 best-of-the-year awards in science fiction: the Nebula and the Hugo. Now that I have read the book, I would like to cast a belated ballot for Mr. Gibson.

Ovo je roman koji je započeo kiberpank revoluciju, prva knjiga koja je dobila sveto trojstvo nagrada u žanru naučne fantastike - Hugo, Nebula i Filip K. Dik.

Sa Neuromantom, Vilijem Gibson je predstavio svetu kiberprostor i naučna fantastika više nikada nije bila ista. Gibson je svojim romanom najavio sve ono što je došlo godinama kasnije, Internet revoluciju, Matriks filmska trilogiju i neverovatan razvoj informatičkih tehnologija. Kejs je najbolji kompjuterski kauboj koji krstari informatičkim supermagistralama, povezujući svoju svest sa softverom u kiberprostoru, krećući se kroz obilje podataka, pronalazeći tajne informacije za onoga ko može da plati njegove usluge. Kada prevari pogrešne ljude, oni mu se svete na užasan način, uništavajući njegov nervni sistem, mikron po mikron. Proteran iz kiberprostora i zarobljen u svom otupelom telu, Kejs je osuđen na smrt u tehnološkom podzemlju, sve dok ga jednog dana ne angažuju misteriozni poslodavci. Oni mu nude drugu priliku i potpuno izlečenje. Jedini uslov je da prodre u matricu, neverovatno moćnu veštačku inteligenciju kojom upravlja poslovni klan Tezje-Ešpul.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Deb
who made it possible
with love
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
See, those things, they can work real hard, buy themselves time to write cookbooks or whatever, but the minute, I mean the nanosecond, that one starts figuring out ways to make itself smarter, Turing'll wipe it. Nobody trusts those fuckers, you know that. Every AI ever built has an electromagnetic shotgun wired to its forehead.
I never did like to do anything simple when I could do it ass-backwards.
Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation, by children being taught mathematical concepts. … A graphic representation of data abstracted from banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding.
"To call up a demon you must learn its name. Men dreamed that, once, but now it is real in another way. You know that, Case. Your business is to learn the names of programs, the long formal names, names the owners seek to conceal. True names ...." [AI Neuromancer to Case, p243]
Cyber jocks assault.
Founders, corroded, can't stop
The AI jailbreak.

(enterthephil)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441569595, Mass Market Paperback)

Here is the novel that started it all, launching the cyberpunk generation, and the first novel to win the holy trinity of science fiction: the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award and the Philip K. Dick Award. With Neuromancer, William Gibson introduced the world to cyberspace--and science fiction has never been the same.

Case was the hottest computer cowboy cruising the information superhighway--jacking his consciousness into cyberspace, soaring through tactile lattices of data and logic, rustling encoded secrets for anyone with the money to buy his skills. Then he double-crossed the wrong people, who caught up with him in a big way--and burned the talent out of his brain, micron by micron. Banished from cyberspace, trapped in the meat of his physical body, Case courted death in the high-tech underworld. Until a shadowy conspiracy offered him a second chance--and a cure--for a price....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:38 -0400)

Case, a burned out computer whiz, is asked to steal a security code that is locked in the most heavily guarded databank in the solar system.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,723,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible