Neuromancer by Willian Gibson

Neuromancer (1984)

by Willian Gibson

Series: Sprawl (1)

Authors:Willian Gibson

Neuromancer by William Gibson (1984)

Ghost in the Shell by Masamune Shirow (Project2501)
    Project2501: Shares similar themes such as the ghost dive, cyborgs, artificial intelligence, etc.
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (thebookpile)
    Vurt by Jeff Noon (falkman)
    Rubicon Harvest by C. W. Kesting (Aeryion)
    Aeryion: Though Rubicon Harvest is not cyber-punk, the worlds within are reminiscent of Philip K. Dick and Gibson's gritty, raw Sprawl-like society--complete with hyper-advanced computer processing (liquid digital optical processors!) and synthetic designer drugs that make 'jacking -in' and Substance-D seem like candy!… (more)
    Pattern Recognition by William Gibson (sturlington)
    The stars my destination by Alfred Bester (LamontCranston)
    After the Long Goodbye by Masaki Yamada (Project2501)
    Babylon Babies by Maurice G. Dantec (S_Meyerson)
    The Electric Church by Jeff Somers (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: If you like your cyberpunk with a bit of noir detective pulps, you'll like Jeff Somers.
    Moxyland by Lauren Beukes (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: South African cyberpunk

English (224)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  French (2)  Tagalog (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (233)
I can recognise the significance, or at least the prescience, of this 1983 book in anticipating the role of virtual reality or cyber-space, the term coined by Gibson, but I did not enjoy it.

Once I had worked out more or less (and admittedly the emphasis should probably be on the ‘less’) what was what with all the challenging terminology, I found that there wasn’t anything to make me want to read on. It’s all action in a virtual reality sort of way and I’m not interested in the hallucinations/cyberspace travels of the characters nor what becomes of them. Case may have elements of the tough investigator but his, and his society’s addiction to mind-altering effects leaves me nonplussed – “’Talk to Flatline about it’ – ‘I’m all doped,’ he protested”. It confirms for me that life with ‘trodes’ is life wasted though I guess Case’s entrances into cyberspace are all necessary to the action.

I preferred Dick’s ‘Android’ novel which begins in such a similar way to Gibson’s novel. Here Dick was able to portray a hi-tech world and engage the reader through the characters and issues and although Gibson may have been more accurate in aspects of his future dystopia than Dick, it seems to me that his lack of interest in drawing the readers to his characters diminishes the final result. Yes, Gibson portrays a world all too familiar to me when the exception is a person in public without a device attached to them, but did Gibson want to warn us about this sort of world or simply to explore it? ( )
  evening | Oct 3, 2015 |
Written ahead of it's time, this book is a cultural staple for those interested in the sci-fi/cyberpunk genre. Gibson creates and amazing world for this series, and the world has leaked into pop-culture today in many important sci-fi stories. That being said, it can be a bit difficult to follow, and many scenes hard to understand what's happening ( )
  l3lazec | Sep 29, 2015 |
I tried to read this. I really tried. It was not fun. I got through the first chapter. I didn't care enough to continue. I have only so much time available. I'm not spending any more time on this. ( )
  EowynA | Aug 7, 2015 |
Sometimes the author is so descriptive it's had to follow the story. It's like a giant SF poem, painting each page with complex narratives. ( )
  arning | Aug 4, 2015 |
Opening line: "The sky was the color of TV, tuned to a dead channel"...

Back in the 80s there was this notion that text-based programming would be superseded by visual-based programming. "You'll be able to SEE the data, man!!! Visual programming constructs, can you DIG it?!"

(Yeah, well. Futuristic programming paradigms are a dime a dozen. Like most, this one came to naught)

But, Gibson took that concept and notched it up to 11. High Octane cyberspace... sex, drugs, crime, passion, data and AIs...

The writing is visual, intense, and assaults all of your senses. The pace is ferocious. You actually feel numb when you put the book down for a breather.

I re-read it recently, and thought maybe the impact on my brain would be softened by the layers of fat that now surround it... Fat chance. Blew me away just like it did the first time.
  meekGee | Jul 6, 2015 |
A new vocabulary for a transformed reality: the deeply influential cyberpunk classic, 30 years on from its original publication
added by dClauzel | editThe Guardian, John Mullan (Nov 7, 2014)
I have to apologize for failing to review William Gibson's "Neuromancer" when it appeared last year. I was led to believe I had done Mr. Gibson an injustice when this novel (the author's first) won both of the important 1984 best-of-the-year awards in science fiction: the Nebula and the Hugo. Now that I have read the book, I would like to cast a belated ballot for Mr. Gibson.
Ovo je roman koji je započeo kiberpank revoluciju, prva knjiga koja je dobila sveto trojstvo nagrada u žanru naučne fantastike - Hugo, Nebula i Filip K. Dik.

Sa Neuromantom, Vilijem Gibson je predstavio svetu kiberprostor i naučna fantastika više nikada nije bila ista. Gibson je svojim romanom najavio sve ono što je došlo godinama kasnije, Internet revoluciju, Matriks filmska trilogiju i neverovatan razvoj informatičkih tehnologija. Kejs je najbolji kompjuterski kauboj koji krstari informatičkim supermagistralama, povezujući svoju svest sa softverom u kiberprostoru, krećući se kroz obilje podataka, pronalazeći tajne informacije za onoga ko može da plati njegove usluge. Kada prevari pogrešne ljude, oni mu se svete na užasan način, uništavajući njegov nervni sistem, mikron po mikron. Proteran iz kiberprostora i zarobljen u svom otupelom telu, Kejs je osuđen na smrt u tehnološkom podzemlju, sve dok ga jednog dana ne angažuju misteriozni poslodavci. Oni mu nude drugu priliku i potpuno izlečenje. Jedini uslov je da prodre u matricu, neverovatno moćnu veštačku inteligenciju kojom upravlja poslovni klan Tezje-Ešpul.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Deb
who made it possible
with love
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
See, those things, they can work real hard, buy themselves time to write cookbooks or whatever, but the minute, I mean the nanosecond, that one starts figuring out ways to make itself smarter, Turing'll wipe it. Nobody trusts those fuckers, you know that. Every AI ever built has an electromagnetic shotgun wired to its forehead.
I never did like to do anything simple when I could do it ass-backwards.
Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation, by children being taught mathematical concepts. … A graphic representation of data abstracted from banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding.
"To call up a demon you must learn its name. Men dreamed that, once, but now it is real in another way. You know that, Case. Your business is to learn the names of programs, the long formal names, names the owners seek to conceal. True names ...." [AI Neuromancer to Case, p243]
Cyber jocks assault.
Founders, corroded, can't stop
The AI jailbreak.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441569595, Mass Market Paperback)

Here is the novel that started it all, launching the cyberpunk generation, and the first novel to win the holy trinity of science fiction: the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award and the Philip K. Dick Award. With Neuromancer, William Gibson introduced the world to cyberspace--and science fiction has never been the same.

Case was the hottest computer cowboy cruising the information superhighway--jacking his consciousness into cyberspace, soaring through tactile lattices of data and logic, rustling encoded secrets for anyone with the money to buy his skills. Then he double-crossed the wrong people, who caught up with him in a big way--and burned the talent out of his brain, micron by micron. Banished from cyberspace, trapped in the meat of his physical body, Case courted death in the high-tech underworld. Until a shadowy conspiracy offered him a second chance--and a cure--for a price....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:29 -0400)

Case, a burned out computer whiz, is asked to steal a security code that is locked in the most heavily guarded databank in the solar system.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,815,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible