Neuromancer by Willian Gibson

Member:rpopuc.new
Title:Neuromancer
Authors:Willian Gibson
Info:

Neuromancer by William Gibson (1984)

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (sturlington, thebookpile)
    Ghost in the Shell by Masamune Shirow (Project2501)
    Project2501: Shares similar themes such as the ghost dive, cyborgs, artificial intelligence, etc.
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Vurt by Jeff Noon (falkman)
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (LamontCranston)
    Pattern Recognition by William Gibson (sturlington)
    Rubicon Harvest by C. W. Kesting (Aeryion)
    Aeryion: Though Rubicon Harvest is not cyber-punk, the worlds within are reminiscent of Philip K. Dick and Gibson's gritty, raw Sprawl-like society--complete with hyper-advanced computer processing (liquid digital optical processors!) and synthetic designer drugs that make 'jacking -in' and Substance-D seem like candy!… (more)
    The Electric Church by Jeff Somers (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: If you like your cyberpunk with a bit of noir detective pulps, you'll like Jeff Somers.
    After the Long Goodbye by Masaki Yamada (Project2501)
    Babylon Babies by Maurice G. Dantec (S_Meyerson)
    Moxyland by Lauren Beukes (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: South African cyberpunk

English (219)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  French (2)  Tagalog (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (228)
I struggled a little with this book, which was kind of disappointing because I've always really loved all kinds of futuristic/sci-fi stories. Parts of it kept my attention and left me wanting to know what happened next, and parts of it were extremely dull in my opinion. More often than not, the style of writing made it difficult for me to understand what was going on. In that sense, I was glad it was a group read for school because class discussions helped me understand everything better and think more critically about what was going on.

I didn't feel particularly attached to any of the characters, although they all did get progressively interesting as the story went on. I did get a kick out of Dixie Flatline and definitely pictured him sounding like Bob Odenkirk ( )
  EJFisch | Feb 28, 2015 |
Re-read this after many years and it holds up quite well. ( )
  kenzen | Feb 23, 2015 |
Dec 2013 re-reading:

Since I had so much trouble with this the first time I decided to give it another go. I was able to understand what was going on much better this time and found myself enjoying it more as I went along. I think my problem with it the first time (a problem I still have), is that I read mostly non-fiction. The writing style here is so foreign to anything else I am likely to read that I had a lot of trouble understanding much of it. The clipped references, the lack of direct explanations for terms and concepts, and the often sudden transition between what was real and what was "cyber" really threw me for a loop sometimes. I still think I am missing some of the subtleties in it but I think I have a good sense of the "world" Gibson was trying to portray!

Would be cool to see what could be done with this as a movie

Original review:

Someday someone will have to explain this book to me. I read this for a class I took and although I didn't particularly enjoy it I recognize its importance so gave it a higher rank. If anyone out there is a fan perhaps you could explain some of the subtleties I'm sure I missed!!! ( )
1 vote mybucketlistofbooks | Jan 10, 2015 |
I read this back when it was first published, and it blew me away. It was so different to any other science fiction I'd read up to then. It contains one of my favorite opening lines - 'The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.' William Gibson became one of my favorite authors, and has proved to be rather prescient in terms of technology and its consequences. ( )
  Pantalaimon01 | Dec 15, 2014 |
[ceduto] Bellissimo, assoluto e fondamentale. Una ricchezza di linguaggio e di immaginazione che, si sente, è qualcosa di diverso (antopologicamente) di quanto apparso fino a quel momento.Ma non fa per me, divento noioso a leggere questi libri. E il tempo se ne va, come lacrime nella pioggia. E' tempo di cambiare lettura...
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
A new vocabulary for a transformed reality: the deeply influential cyberpunk classic, 30 years on from its original publication
added by dClauzel | editThe Guardian, John Mullan (Nov 7, 2014)

I have to apologize for failing to review William Gibson's "Neuromancer" when it appeared last year. I was led to believe I had done Mr. Gibson an injustice when this novel (the author's first) won both of the important 1984 best-of-the-year awards in science fiction: the Nebula and the Hugo. Now that I have read the book, I would like to cast a belated ballot for Mr. Gibson.

Ovo je roman koji je započeo kiberpank revoluciju, prva knjiga koja je dobila sveto trojstvo nagrada u žanru naučne fantastike - Hugo, Nebula i Filip K. Dik.

Sa Neuromantom, Vilijem Gibson je predstavio svetu kiberprostor i naučna fantastika više nikada nije bila ista. Gibson je svojim romanom najavio sve ono što je došlo godinama kasnije, Internet revoluciju, Matriks filmska trilogiju i neverovatan razvoj informatičkih tehnologija. Kejs je najbolji kompjuterski kauboj koji krstari informatičkim supermagistralama, povezujući svoju svest sa softverom u kiberprostoru, krećući se kroz obilje podataka, pronalazeći tajne informacije za onoga ko može da plati njegove usluge. Kada prevari pogrešne ljude, oni mu se svete na užasan način, uništavajući njegov nervni sistem, mikron po mikron. Proteran iz kiberprostora i zarobljen u svom otupelom telu, Kejs je osuđen na smrt u tehnološkom podzemlju, sve dok ga jednog dana ne angažuju misteriozni poslodavci. Oni mu nude drugu priliku i potpuno izlečenje. Jedini uslov je da prodre u matricu, neverovatno moćnu veštačku inteligenciju kojom upravlja poslovni klan Tezje-Ešpul.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Deb
who made it possible
with love
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
See, those things, they can work real hard, buy themselves time to write cookbooks or whatever, but the minute, I mean the nanosecond, that one starts figuring out ways to make itself smarter, Turing'll wipe it. Nobody trusts those fuckers, you know that. Every AI ever built has an electromagnetic shotgun wired to its forehead.
I never did like to do anything simple when I could do it ass-backwards.
Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation, by children being taught mathematical concepts. … A graphic representation of data abstracted from banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding.
"To call up a demon you must learn its name. Men dreamed that, once, but now it is real in another way. You know that, Case. Your business is to learn the names of programs, the long formal names, names the owners seek to conceal. True names ...." [AI Neuromancer to Case, p243]
Cyber jocks assault.
Founders, corroded, can't stop
The AI jailbreak.

(enterthephil)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441569595, Mass Market Paperback)

Here is the novel that started it all, launching the cyberpunk generation, and the first novel to win the holy trinity of science fiction: the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award and the Philip K. Dick Award. With Neuromancer, William Gibson introduced the world to cyberspace--and science fiction has never been the same.

Case was the hottest computer cowboy cruising the information superhighway--jacking his consciousness into cyberspace, soaring through tactile lattices of data and logic, rustling encoded secrets for anyone with the money to buy his skills. Then he double-crossed the wrong people, who caught up with him in a big way--and burned the talent out of his brain, micron by micron. Banished from cyberspace, trapped in the meat of his physical body, Case courted death in the high-tech underworld. Until a shadowy conspiracy offered him a second chance--and a cure--for a price....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:38 -0400)

Case, a burned out computer whiz, is asked to steal a security code that is locked in the most heavily guarded databank in the solar system.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,752,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible