Neuromancer

Neuromancer (original 1984; edition 2003)

Series: Sprawl (1)

Member:agbram
Title:Neuromancer
Authors:
Info:Aleph (2003), Edition: 3, Paperback
Tags:Science Fiction, Cyberpunk, Fiction

Neuromancer by William Gibson (1984)

Ghost in the Shell by Masamune Shirow (Project2501)
    Project2501: Shares similar themes such as the ghost dive, cyborgs, artificial intelligence, etc.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (thebookpile)
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Vurt by Jeff Noon (falkman)
    Pattern Recognition by William Gibson (sturlington)
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (LamontCranston)
    Rubicon Harvest by C. W. Kesting (Aeryion)
    Aeryion: Though Rubicon Harvest is not cyber-punk, the worlds within are reminiscent of Philip K. Dick and Gibson's gritty, raw Sprawl-like society--complete with hyper-advanced computer processing (liquid digital optical processors!) and synthetic designer drugs that make 'jacking -in' and Substance-D seem like candy!… (more)
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (andomck)
    andomck: Neuromancer is exactly the type of 80's nerd culture that Oscar Wait submerged himself in.
    When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger (majkia)
    Trouble and Her Friends by Melissa Scott (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Cyberpunk noir
    The Electric Church by Jeff Somers (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: If you like your cyberpunk with a bit of noir detective pulps, you'll like Jeff Somers.
    Babylon Babies by Maurice G. Dantec (S_Meyerson)
    After the Long Goodbye by Masaki Yamada (Project2501)
    The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi (g33kgrrl)
    Moxyland by Lauren Beukes (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: South African cyberpunk
1980s (47)

English (264)  Finnish (3)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Tagalog (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All (276)
I can't believe I missed this book in 1984 when I was reading science fiction and working as a programmer. No idea what I would have made of it 30 years ago but it still sounds vivid and new today. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |
The work has merit, but I found it to be a dull read. Too much technopunk fantasy wankage. It did age well, however. ( )
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |
Okay, I'm finished.

But I'm not anyone to judge this book, really.

I do have to say that the world building was really detailed and vivid. Also, I liked Case.

Unfortunately, I don't think I understood anything that happened.... Just too much science/computer talk for me, too many things happening at once, too many characters to keep up with and some that weren't even real people.

I did read a summary online to help me recap things, so in retrospect I have no doubt this book is actually really brilliant. The effect of its brilliance however was lost on me. I really did try to understand it, at least to a certain point. I feel kind of bad. And not all that intelligent, I must admit.

I might give this another shot sometime in the future. Maybe by then I would be more science-fiction savvy.

1 vote UDT | May 1, 2018 |
The matrix is a world within the world, which represents every byte of data in cyberspace. Case is an expert on the matrix and has been hailed as the sharpest data-thief in the business. The problem is, Case messed up. He chose to steal from his former employer and they exacted revenge upon him by injecting him with mycotoxin, which damaged his central nervous system and left him unable to access the matrix. Case is at the end of his rope. He can’t find work, he’s feeling suicidal, and his extensive drug habit has landed him on the local drug lord’s hit list.

Just as Case thinks things are over for him, a mysterious woman named Molly comes in to his life. She’s an augmented street samurai and mercenary working for a shady ex-military officer known as Armitage. Armitage gives Case a proposition he can hardly refuse. He is willing to cure Case in exchange for him working exclusively as a hacker for him. Case and Molly are quickly swept up on a whirlwind mission which has them performing dangerous work for Armitage. Who is this mysterious figure and what is the real end goal of their mission?

William Gibson was ahead of his time in 1984 when he published Neuromancer. The book is laced with futuristic technology and cyberspace capabilities prominent in this dystopian world he has created. Gibson isn’t subtle about his jargon and readers should prepare themselves to feel confused from the start of this book. The reader is forced to decode the environment, the technology, and the people who make up this novel. As someone who does not declare science fiction to be one of their most read genres, I certainly had one heck of time understanding NEUROMANCER! Gibson’s writing is somehow clear and concise, but also written at a level above my science fiction bravado. Despite my issues, I was able to grasp the story as a whole and understand the majority of the mission Case and Molly were on. There were definitely times when re-reading was a must! I would recommend NEUROMANCER to an experienced science fiction reader. This book was nothing short of a bizarro ride straight in to the future! ( )
  jess_reads_books | Apr 18, 2018 |
A classic that paved the way to a whole genre and that got a lot of things right. But a bit of a slog to read. ( )
  Guide2 | Apr 17, 2018 |
A new vocabulary for a transformed reality: the deeply influential cyberpunk classic, 30 years on from its original publication
added by dClauzel | editThe Guardian, John Mullan (Nov 7, 2014)

I have to apologize for failing to review William Gibson's "Neuromancer" when it appeared last year. I was led to believe I had done Mr. Gibson an injustice when this novel (the author's first) won both of the important 1984 best-of-the-year awards in science fiction: the Nebula and the Hugo. Now that I have read the book, I would like to cast a belated ballot for Mr. Gibson.

Ovo je roman koji je započeo kiberpank revoluciju, prva knjiga koja je dobila sveto trojstvo nagrada u žanru naučne fantastike - Hugo, Nebula i Filip K. Dik.

Sa Neuromantom, Vilijem Gibson je predstavio svetu kiberprostor i naučna fantastika više nikada nije bila ista. Gibson je svojim romanom najavio sve ono što je došlo godinama kasnije, Internet revoluciju, Matriks filmska trilogiju i neverovatan razvoj informatičkih tehnologija. Kejs je najbolji kompjuterski kauboj koji krstari informatičkim supermagistralama, povezujući svoju svest sa softverom u kiberprostoru, krećući se kroz obilje podataka, pronalazeći tajne informacije za onoga ko može da plati njegove usluge. Kada prevari pogrešne ljude, oni mu se svete na užasan način, uništavajući njegov nervni sistem, mikron po mikron. Proteran iz kiberprostora i zarobljen u svom otupelom telu, Kejs je osuđen na smrt u tehnološkom podzemlju, sve dok ga jednog dana ne angažuju misteriozni poslodavci. Oni mu nude drugu priliku i potpuno izlečenje. Jedini uslov je da prodre u matricu, neverovatno moćnu veštačku inteligenciju kojom upravlja poslovni klan Tezje-Ešpul.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Sandrelli, SandroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sterling, BruceAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warhola, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the All Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
for Deb
who made it possible
with love
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
See, those things, they can work real hard, buy themselves time to write cookbooks or whatever, but the minute, I mean the nanosecond, that one starts figuring out ways to make itself smarter, Turing'll wipe it. Nobody trusts those fuckers, you know that. Every AI ever built has an electromagnetic shotgun wired to its forehead.
I never did like to do anything simple when I could do it ass-backwards.
Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation, by children being taught mathematical concepts. … A graphic representation of data abstracted from banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding.
"To call up a demon you must learn its name. Men dreamed that, once, but now it is real in another way. You know that, Case. Your business is to learn the names of programs, the long formal names, names the owners seek to conceal. True names ...." [AI Neuromancer to Case, p243]
NEUROMANCER was written by William Gibson.

Cyber jocks assault.
Founders, corroded, can't stop
The AI jailbreak.

(enterthephil)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441569595, Mass Market Paperback)

Here is the novel that started it all, launching the cyberpunk generation, and the first novel to win the holy trinity of science fiction: the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award and the Philip K. Dick Award. With Neuromancer, William Gibson introduced the world to cyberspace--and science fiction has never been the same.

Case was the hottest computer cowboy cruising the information superhighway--jacking his consciousness into cyberspace, soaring through tactile lattices of data and logic, rustling encoded secrets for anyone with the money to buy his skills. Then he double-crossed the wrong people, who caught up with him in a big way--and burned the talent out of his brain, micron by micron. Banished from cyberspace, trapped in the meat of his physical body, Case courted death in the high-tech underworld. Until a shadowy conspiracy offered him a second chance--and a cure--for a price....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:29 -0400)

Case, a burned out computer whiz, is asked to steal a security code that is locked in the most heavily guarded databank in the solar system.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,518,409 books! | Top bar: Always visible