dismiss

Neuromancer by William Gibson

Neuromancer (original 1984; edition 1984)

by William Gibson

Series: Sprawl (1)

Case, a nerve-damaged data thief, is recruited by a new employer for a last-chance run against a powerful artificial intelligence.
Member:beefviper
Title:Neuromancer
Authors:William Gibson
Info:Ace (1984), Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:cyber-punk

Neuromancer by William Gibson (1984)

Ghost in the Shell by Masamune Shirow (Project2501)
    Project2501: Shares similar themes such as the ghost dive, cyborgs, artificial intelligence, etc.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (thebookpile)
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Vurt by Jeff Noon (falkman)
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (LamontCranston)
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (sturlington)
    Rubicon Harvest by C. W. Kesting (Aeryion)
    Aeryion: Though Rubicon Harvest is not cyber-punk, the worlds within are reminiscent of Philip K. Dick and Gibson's gritty, raw Sprawl-like society--complete with hyper-advanced computer processing (liquid digital optical processors!) and synthetic designer drugs that make 'jacking -in' and Substance-D seem like candy!… (more)
    The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi (g33kgrrl)
    When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger (majkia)
    Trouble and Her Friends by Melissa Scott (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Cyberpunk noir
    The Electric Church by Jeff Somers (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: If you like your cyberpunk with a bit of noir detective pulps, you'll like Jeff Somers.
    After the Long Goodbye by Masaki Yamada (Project2501)
    Babylon Babies by Maurice G. Dantec (S_Meyerson)
    Moxyland by Lauren Beukes (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: South African cyberpunk
1980s (19)
hopes (13)
Books (13)

English (295)  Finnish (3)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Tagalog (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (307)
Okay, wow, I think I got what happened. But reading this book was like reading French; I got about 20% of every page. it was still really awesome though!
Amazing worldbuilding, amazing characters, and Gibson has an awesome way of creating mysteries.
  stormnyk | Aug 6, 2020 |
Lesson learned: If I ever get a boat, I'm going to name it the SS Marcus Garvey. ( )
  CatherineMachineGun | Jul 31, 2020 |
A bit less impenetrable than the last time I read it and still a totally wild ride ( )
  goliathonline | Jul 7, 2020 |
You know she's trouble
shrouded eyes and sharpened claws
best to stay useful. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
this was so hard to read, and the plot wasn't satisfying, but the vibes are immaculate

i can definitely see myself rating this 4-5 on a re-read though ( )
  nickginther | Jun 19, 2020 |
A new vocabulary for a transformed reality: the deeply influential cyberpunk classic, 30 years on from its original publication
added by dClauzel | editThe Guardian, John Mullan (Nov 7, 2014)

I have to apologize for failing to review William Gibson's "Neuromancer" when it appeared last year. I was led to believe I had done Mr. Gibson an injustice when this novel (the author's first) won both of the important 1984 best-of-the-year awards in science fiction: the Nebula and the Hugo. Now that I have read the book, I would like to cast a belated ballot for Mr. Gibson.

Ovo je roman koji je započeo kiberpank revoluciju, prva knjiga koja je dobila sveto trojstvo nagrada u žanru naučne fantastike - Hugo, Nebula i Filip K. Dik.

Sa Neuromantom, Vilijem Gibson je predstavio svetu kiberprostor i naučna fantastika više nikada nije bila ista. Gibson je svojim romanom najavio sve ono što je došlo godinama kasnije, Internet revoluciju, Matriks filmska trilogiju i neverovatan razvoj informatičkih tehnologija. Kejs je najbolji kompjuterski kauboj koji krstari informatičkim supermagistralama, povezujući svoju svest sa softverom u kiberprostoru, krećući se kroz obilje podataka, pronalazeći tajne informacije za onoga ko može da plati njegove usluge. Kada prevari pogrešne ljude, oni mu se svete na užasan način, uništavajući njegov nervni sistem, mikron po mikron. Proteran iz kiberprostora i zarobljen u svom otupelom telu, Kejs je osuđen na smrt u tehnološkom podzemlju, sve dok ga jednog dana ne angažuju misteriozni poslodavci. Oni mu nude drugu priliku i potpuno izlečenje. Jedini uslov je da prodre u matricu, neverovatno moćnu veštačku inteligenciju kojom upravlja poslovni klan Tezje-Ešpul.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Deb
who made it possible
with love
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
See, those things, they can work real hard, buy themselves time to write cookbooks or whatever, but the minute, I mean the nanosecond, that one starts figuring out ways to make itself smarter, Turing'll wipe it. Nobody trusts those fuckers, you know that. Every AI ever built has an electromagnetic shotgun wired to its forehead.
I never did like to do anything simple when I could do it ass-backwards.
Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation, by children being taught mathematical concepts. … A graphic representation of data abstracted from banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding.
"To call up a demon you must learn its name. Men dreamed that, once, but now it is real in another way. You know that, Case. Your business is to learn the names of programs, the long formal names, names the owners seek to conceal. True names ...." [AI Neuromancer to Case, p243]
NEUROMANCER was written by William Gibson.

Cyber jocks assault.
Founders, corroded, can't stop
The AI jailbreak.

(enterthephil)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,966,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible