Neuromancer by William Gibson

Neuromancer (original 1984; edition 1984)

by William Gibson

Series: Sprawl (1)

Member:beefviper
Title:Neuromancer
Authors:William Gibson
Info:Ace (1984), Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:cyber-punk

Neuromancer by William Gibson (1984)

Ghost in the Shell by Masamune Shirow (Project2501)
    Project2501: Shares similar themes such as the ghost dive, cyborgs, artificial intelligence, etc.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (thebookpile)
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Vurt by Jeff Noon (falkman)
    The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi (g33kgrrl)
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (LamontCranston)
    Rubicon Harvest by C. W. Kesting (Aeryion)
    Aeryion: Though Rubicon Harvest is not cyber-punk, the worlds within are reminiscent of Philip K. Dick and Gibson's gritty, raw Sprawl-like society--complete with hyper-advanced computer processing (liquid digital optical processors!) and synthetic designer drugs that make 'jacking -in' and Substance-D seem like candy!… (more)
    When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger (majkia)
    Trouble and Her Friends by Melissa Scott (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Cyberpunk noir
    Babylon Babies by Maurice G. Dantec (S_Meyerson)
    The Electric Church by Jeff Somers (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: If you like your cyberpunk with a bit of noir detective pulps, you'll like Jeff Somers.
    After the Long Goodbye by Masaki Yamada (Project2501)
    Moxyland by Lauren Beukes (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: South African cyberpunk
1980s (53)
Books (8)

English (279)  Finnish (3)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Tagalog (1)  German (1)  All languages (292)
I want the first line of this book on a t-shirt. Call me a cyber-punk-hipster. ( )
  Deracine | May 1, 2019 |
I thought this Sci-Fi book was both a three star and a four star. For the time it was written, it was VERY forward thinking. It was a little like reading Shakespeare in that it took a few chapters to get into the language. Many terms needed a glossary, at least for a while. The images are terrific and the layers are intricate. I did enjoy it and am glad I read it but never would have finished it with out my bookclub and it's techies. ( )
  gayjeg | Apr 25, 2019 |
This was a re-read of an archetype of the cypberpunk genre, with all of the nostalgia that accompanies a visit to an old friend. Unfortunately, the first half (or more) of the book came across as being as muddled this time around as it did the first time I read it decades ago, as the plot does not develop and flow very smoothly. As before, I had the sense that it had been written and rewritten and edited and reedited countless times, to the point where it was easy to get lost on some details--even the second time around. Still, it's easy to see how much of an inspiration it was for much of what came later, from Neal Stephenson to The Matrix to countless other standards of the genre. It's not an overlong book, but it's easy to get bogged down (because of the muddled nature of much of it), especially if you're not technically oriented in the first place. But it's worth the effort, if only to see what launched the genre in the first place, way back when Ronald Reagan was president and guys like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were just getting the personal computing revolution going.
  jimgysin | Mar 22, 2019 |
I think I'd expected Tron, The Matrix, or even Johnny Mnemonic. Instead, an unlikable druggie / tech addict goes on a VR-enhanced trip to evade dying at the hands of the mob, as his pseudo-girlfriend does. This might need a reread to see if I'd read the first time with too many expectations. ( )
  aspirit | Mar 2, 2019 |
On my best 3 books in the world list. I was so engaged in this cyberworld I wanted it to be real. To show my devotion to this book I named my daughter Jane. I wanted to add the 3 but my husband vetoed that. ( )
  Paperpuss | Feb 25, 2019 |
A new vocabulary for a transformed reality: the deeply influential cyberpunk classic, 30 years on from its original publication
added by dClauzel | editThe Guardian, John Mullan (Nov 7, 2014)

I have to apologize for failing to review William Gibson's "Neuromancer" when it appeared last year. I was led to believe I had done Mr. Gibson an injustice when this novel (the author's first) won both of the important 1984 best-of-the-year awards in science fiction: the Nebula and the Hugo. Now that I have read the book, I would like to cast a belated ballot for Mr. Gibson.

Ovo je roman koji je započeo kiberpank revoluciju, prva knjiga koja je dobila sveto trojstvo nagrada u žanru naučne fantastike - Hugo, Nebula i Filip K. Dik.

Sa Neuromantom, Vilijem Gibson je predstavio svetu kiberprostor i naučna fantastika više nikada nije bila ista. Gibson je svojim romanom najavio sve ono što je došlo godinama kasnije, Internet revoluciju, Matriks filmska trilogiju i neverovatan razvoj informatičkih tehnologija. Kejs je najbolji kompjuterski kauboj koji krstari informatičkim supermagistralama, povezujući svoju svest sa softverom u kiberprostoru, krećući se kroz obilje podataka, pronalazeći tajne informacije za onoga ko može da plati njegove usluge. Kada prevari pogrešne ljude, oni mu se svete na užasan način, uništavajući njegov nervni sistem, mikron po mikron. Proteran iz kiberprostora i zarobljen u svom otupelom telu, Kejs je osuđen na smrt u tehnološkom podzemlju, sve dok ga jednog dana ne angažuju misteriozni poslodavci. Oni mu nude drugu priliku i potpuno izlečenje. Jedini uslov je da prodre u matricu, neverovatno moćnu veštačku inteligenciju kojom upravlja poslovni klan Tezje-Ešpul.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Deb
who made it possible
with love
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
See, those things, they can work real hard, buy themselves time to write cookbooks or whatever, but the minute, I mean the nanosecond, that one starts figuring out ways to make itself smarter, Turing'll wipe it. Nobody trusts those fuckers, you know that. Every AI ever built has an electromagnetic shotgun wired to its forehead.
I never did like to do anything simple when I could do it ass-backwards.
Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation, by children being taught mathematical concepts. … A graphic representation of data abstracted from banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding.
"To call up a demon you must learn its name. Men dreamed that, once, but now it is real in another way. You know that, Case. Your business is to learn the names of programs, the long formal names, names the owners seek to conceal. True names ...." [AI Neuromancer to Case, p243]
NEUROMANCER was written by William Gibson.

Cyber jocks assault.
Founders, corroded, can't stop
The AI jailbreak.

(enterthephil)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441569595, Mass Market Paperback)

Here is the novel that started it all, launching the cyberpunk generation, and the first novel to win the holy trinity of science fiction: the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award and the Philip K. Dick Award. With Neuromancer, William Gibson introduced the world to cyberspace--and science fiction has never been the same.

Case was the hottest computer cowboy cruising the information superhighway--jacking his consciousness into cyberspace, soaring through tactile lattices of data and logic, rustling encoded secrets for anyone with the money to buy his skills. Then he double-crossed the wrong people, who caught up with him in a big way--and burned the talent out of his brain, micron by micron. Banished from cyberspace, trapped in the meat of his physical body, Case courted death in the high-tech underworld. Until a shadowy conspiracy offered him a second chance--and a cure--for a price....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:29 -0400)

Case, a burned out computer whiz, is asked to steal a security code that is locked in the most heavily guarded databank in the solar system.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,907,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible