Neuromancer by William Gibson

Neuromancer (original 1984; edition 1984)

by William Gibson

Authors:William Gibson
Info:Ace (1984), Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Your library, @Home
Tags:Fiction, Science Fiction

Neuromancer by William Gibson (1984)

20th century (69) American (57) artificial intelligence (89) classic (75) computers (79) cyberpunk (1,551) cyberspace (125) dystopia (115) ebook (53) fiction (1,323) future (54) Gibson (73) Hugo Award (73) hugo winner (57) literature (54) Nebula Award (63) novel (233) own (73) paperback (74) read (259) science fiction (2,888) sf (437) sff (128) speculative fiction (79) sprawl trilogy (67) technology (70) to-read (178) unread (82) virtual reality (114) William Gibson (80)
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (sturlington, thebookpile)
    Ghost in the Shell by Masamune Shirow (Project2501)
    Project2501: Shares similar themes such as the ghost dive, cyborgs, artificial intelligence, etc.
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (LamontCranston)
    Vurt by Jeff Noon (falkman)
    Rubicon Harvest by C. W. Kesting (Aeryion)
    Aeryion: Though Rubicon Harvest is not cyber-punk, the worlds within are reminiscent of Philip K. Dick and Gibson's gritty, raw Sprawl-like society--complete with hyper-advanced computer processing (liquid digital optical processors!) and synthetic designer drugs that make 'jacking -in' and Substance-D seem like candy!… (more)
    Babylon Babies by Maurice G. Dantec (S_Meyerson)
    The Electric Church by Jeff Somers (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: If you like your cyberpunk with a bit of noir detective pulps, you'll like Jeff Somers.
    After the Long Goodbye by Masaki Yamada (Project2501)
    Moxyland by Lauren Beukes (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: South African cyberpunk

English (210)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  French (2)  Tagalog (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (219)
4.5 stars
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

audio version
Henry Dorsett Case is a washed up computer hacker. He used to be one of the best, traveling cyberspace and sneaking through computer defenses, stealing money and information for his employers. But after he got greedy and embezzled some money, his employers damaged his brain so he can’t jack into cyberspace anymore. He spent the stolen money trying to get his ability back, but it didn’t work, and now he’s suicidal and wandering the squalid streets of Chiba City, Japan... Until Molly the razorgirl shows up. She wears tight black leather, has mirrored glasses implanted in her eye sockets, and has retractable razors embedded under her fingernails. She delivers Case to her boss, Armitage, who says he can fix Case if he’ll hire on as his hacker. Case’s new hacking job turns out to be a lot bigger and a lot stranger than he and his new colleagues expected.

There’s very little exposition in Neuromancer and it’s got its own slang and culture. So when William Gibson drops us off in degenerate and dystopian Night City with its neon lights, holographic arcades, drug dealers, meat puppets, black market surgeons, and silvery sky, you’ll want to either hide in the nearest alley, or start running... and hope you don’t bump into any of Gibson’s characters. Once you meet them, you won’t forget them, but you’re unlikely to fall in love with any of them because, like their city, they’re cold and criminal (“Towns like this are for people who like the way down”).

The unfamiliar language and setting and the aloof characters will be a turn-off for some readers, but those who think it’s exhilarating to be dumped into new and unknown territory will find that Neuromancer is fast-moving, flashy, decadent, and sexy (think The Matrix and Ghost in the Shell). For a novel written in 1984, it feels surprisingly stylish, its cultural issues are still modern, and it has accurately anticipated some of our 21st century technological developments.

The most obvious thing that Neuromancer anticipated — and this is what makes it classic science fiction and the seminal cyberpunk novel — is the internet, which Case calls “cyberspace.” In his afterward to Neuromancer, Jack Womack suggests that Neuromancer didn’t just foresee the internet, but that the novel may have actually created the internet (or at least influenced how we use it) because the people who developed it read Neuromancer back in 1984.

As a product of the 1980s, a fan of dystopian science fiction, a neuroscience researcher, and a denizen of cyberspace, I’ve been waiting years for Neuromancer to be released on audio, so I was thrilled to see that Penguin Audio finally produced it this summer. The audio version is excellently read by Robertson Dean and includes Jack Womack’s afterward in which he discusses the novel’s influence and his friendship with William Gibson. There’s also an introduction by Gibson in which he talks about how Neuromancer has aged — pretty well except for the mention of modems and the lack of cell phones (something I’ve noticed that most old SF novels are missing).

One thing I’d like to alert audio readers to: Neuromancer is not an easy read because of the lack of exposition, which makes it even more difficult on audio. If you’ve not read the novel before, it will require full concentration and occasional rewinding, but it will be rewarding. No science fiction fan should miss the first novel to win the Triple Crown of SF awards: the Nebula, the Hugo, and the Philip K. Dick awards. And for audiobook readers, now is the perfect time to enjoy Neuromancer. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
I'll have to come back and read this again one day.
This book made me dizzy. The world is so immersive its almost suffocating. I liked it but I think if I read it again I could probably increase the rating. But not now, gotta catch my breath! ( )
  khaalidah | Mar 14, 2014 |
1 ( )
  PhotoS | Feb 17, 2014 |
Great book. Worth reading twice. ( )
  elsiereads | Jan 2, 2014 |
Neuromancer tells the story of Case, once a hot “cyberspace” cowboy who could infiltrate and rip off corporate databases. But he stole from his employer, who took revenge by crippling Case's nervous system, rendering him unable to hack. Case is then scooped off the street and given a second chance by a shadowy group of people who have big plans. In exchange for curing Case, they want him to help them infiltrate the core of a huge and powerful AI (artificial intelligence) called Wintermute. What was amazing about this novel was that it was written in 1984—but the concepts discussed are things that we now experience in our reality—cyberspace, the matrix (the Web), artificial intelligence, use of technology to treat disease/aging & DNA modification. As interesting as the concept was for this book, I found the book difficult to read—it is densely written, filled with a lot of jargon (it would have helpful to have a dictionary of the terms), with many characters who were difficult to keep track of. I think that if you are a computer enthusiast or gamer—this might be the book for you. For me I am glad I finished it, but frankly I was happy to leave Gibson’s future world. 3 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Dec 5, 2013 |
I have to apologize for failing to review William Gibson's "Neuromancer" when it appeared last year. I was led to believe I had done Mr. Gibson an injustice when this novel (the author's first) won both of the important 1984 best-of-the-year awards in science fiction: the Nebula and the Hugo. Now that I have read the book, I would like to cast a belated ballot for Mr. Gibson.

Ovo je roman koji je započeo kiberpank revoluciju, prva knjiga koja je dobila sveto trojstvo nagrada u žanru naučne fantastike - Hugo, Nebula i Filip K. Dik.

Sa Neuromantom, Vilijem Gibson je predstavio svetu kiberprostor i naučna fantastika više nikada nije bila ista. Gibson je svojim romanom najavio sve ono što je došlo godinama kasnije, Internet revoluciju, Matriks filmska trilogiju i neverovatan razvoj informatičkih tehnologija. Kejs je najbolji kompjuterski kauboj koji krstari informatičkim supermagistralama, povezujući svoju svest sa softverom u kiberprostoru, krećući se kroz obilje podataka, pronalazeći tajne informacije za onoga ko može da plati njegove usluge. Kada prevari pogrešne ljude, oni mu se svete na užasan način, uništavajući njegov nervni sistem, mikron po mikron. Proteran iz kiberprostora i zarobljen u svom otupelom telu, Kejs je osuđen na smrt u tehnološkom podzemlju, sve dok ga jednog dana ne angažuju misteriozni poslodavci. Oni mu nude drugu priliku i potpuno izlečenje. Jedini uslov je da prodre u matricu, neverovatno moćnu veštačku inteligenciju kojom upravlja poslovni klan Tezje-Ešpul.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Deb
who made it possible
with love
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
See, those things, they can work real hard, buy themselves time to write cookbooks or whatever, but the minute, I mean the nanosecond, that one starts figuring out ways to make itself smarter, Turing'll wipe it. Nobody trusts those fuckers, you know that. Every AI ever built has an electromagnetic shotgun wired to its forehead.
I never did like to do anything simple when I could do it ass-backwards.
Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation, by children being taught mathematical concepts. … A graphic representation of data abstracted from banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding.
"To call up a demon you must learn its name. Men dreamed that, once, but now it is real in another way. You know that, Case. Your business is to learn the names of programs, the long formal names, names the owners seek to conceal. True names ...." [AI Neuromancer to Case, p243]
Cyber jocks assault.
Founders, corroded, can't stop
The AI jailbreak.

(enterthephil)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441569595, Mass Market Paperback)

Here is the novel that started it all, launching the cyberpunk generation, and the first novel to win the holy trinity of science fiction: the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award and the Philip K. Dick Award. With Neuromancer, William Gibson introduced the world to cyberspace--and science fiction has never been the same.

Case was the hottest computer cowboy cruising the information superhighway--jacking his consciousness into cyberspace, soaring through tactile lattices of data and logic, rustling encoded secrets for anyone with the money to buy his skills. Then he double-crossed the wrong people, who caught up with him in a big way--and burned the talent out of his brain, micron by micron. Banished from cyberspace, trapped in the meat of his physical body, Case courted death in the high-tech underworld. Until a shadowy conspiracy offered him a second chance--and a cure--for a price....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:38 -0400)

Case, a burned out computer whiz, is asked to steal a security code that is locked in the most heavily guarded databank in the solar system.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,468,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible