Neuromancer by William Gibson

Neuromancer (original 1984; edition 2004)

by William Gibson

Series: Sprawl (1)

Member:EdwardShuman
Title:Neuromancer
Authors:William Gibson
Info:Ace Hardcover (2004), Edition: 20th, Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, science fiction

Neuromancer by William Gibson (1984)

Ghost in the Shell by Masamune Shirow (Project2501)
    Project2501: Shares similar themes such as the ghost dive, cyborgs, artificial intelligence, etc.
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (thebookpile)
    Vurt by Jeff Noon (falkman)
    Rubicon Harvest by C. W. Kesting (Aeryion)
    Aeryion: Though Rubicon Harvest is not cyber-punk, the worlds within are reminiscent of Philip K. Dick and Gibson's gritty, raw Sprawl-like society--complete with hyper-advanced computer processing (liquid digital optical processors!) and synthetic designer drugs that make 'jacking -in' and Substance-D seem like candy!… (more)
    Pattern Recognition by William Gibson (sturlington)
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (LamontCranston)
    After the Long Goodbye by Masaki Yamada (Project2501)
    Babylon Babies by Maurice G. Dantec (S_Meyerson)
    The Electric Church by Jeff Somers (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: If you like your cyberpunk with a bit of noir detective pulps, you'll like Jeff Somers.
    Moxyland by Lauren Beukes (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: South African cyberpunk

English (224)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  French (2)  Tagalog (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (233)
This was a book that I had to read twice. It was so packed with descriptive passages that I just couldn't seem to absorb them all at once. Also, the world being described was both similar to our present world as well as totally alien. It was a unique blend of science fact and science fiction.

The story takes place sometime in the not to distant future, and the main character is named Case. Case was a man with a troubled past. He had been a computer jockey, similar to what we would today call a hacker. Case was hired to break into computer systems, usually owned by corporations, and steal specific data. But when he "jacked in" to the web, he was actually in it - a la the movie TRON. He would move around cyberspace through his mind as people move through the physical world.

Case was doing well. He was one of the best at what he did and was making a good living. But then he made a mistake. He decided to steal from his employer, and they injected him with toxins that damaged his nervous system, making it impossible for him to jack in. He went to Japan for surgery to repair his nerve damage, but all were unsuccessful. After running out of money, he turned to hustling to survive and support his burgeoning drug habit.

Enter Armitage, a wealthy man who did not technically exist. Armitage offer Case a cure in exchange for breaking into a highly secure structure. Case is skeptical, but the surgery is a success. Accompanied by Molly, Armitage's security expert, and a motley group of unforgettable characters, Case takes on the nearly impossible task.

This was a great read, science fiction fan or not. The most amazing thing to me was that William Gibson wrote this in 1983! It almost perfectly describes the internet during a time when it wasn't even a concept yet. Many things in this book have come to pass already. How many more will be reality in our future? This is a truly groundbreaking work and a must read for anyone interested in seeing what the future may be like. ( )
  NPJacobsen | Jun 5, 2015 |
I know I'm not the first to think of this (confirmed via Google just a moment ago) but to me, if the director/producers of the Matrix didn't pay William Gibson something when they made that movie, they really screwed him over.

There's a reason this is a class - and I wish I had read it years sooner. The story is awesome. I guess one thing about reading it now is getting to see some of the technology Gibson wrote about actually being used today...

Gibson does a masterful job telling a compelling story that may have been a little difficult for the average person to follow back when it was first published, but there's a lot of aspects that are almost commonplace now, but still so cool. ( )
  Sean191 | May 20, 2015 |
"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."
A cracking open line that, such imagery that grabs your attention immediately and drags you into the world of Neuromancer. This could be something special.
Unfortunately for me, that's as good as it got. The potential that had burst from the page itself flatlined.
Gibson manages to slip in a number of other eye-catching, brain shuddering turns of phrase along the way, but these dry up about halfway through the book.
I came to this novel at the second attempt, after having fallen in love and devoured all the novels and many short works of Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammet, so the meandering, oft sudden scene turnarounds and plot twists were something not unknown. I'm a great lover of the noir, the sci-fi, the original Shadowrun.
But this was a tough read. I kept thinking of Stephen King's biographical On Writing and the image of King in the 70s strung out on coke and maddly writing his visions and then having no recollection of what he'd written. I wondered what mania had likewise seized Gibson. There's a certain style of throwing out jargon and memes of a certain subculture without much explanation a la early Suede lyrics of nuclear winds and sci-fi lullabies, letting the reader develop the insight by soaking in the environment.
Though heavy on the visuals and jargon, I still found Neuromancer quite disjointed, aloof and difficult to engage with. I also had issues following the story in the first parts of the book. I found Neuromancer less Bladerunner and more TRON or The Last Starfighter; more video game, less brooding dark-heart. After jacking in for that first line, I merely flipped back.
I wouldn't read it again, and I won't be following up on any of Gibson's later works, but I respect all he did for developing a genre that has contributed much to my enjoyment across the years.
  StaticBlaq | Apr 26, 2015 |
Completed this novel at the second attempt after a break of almost 30 years. It remains frustrating, the writing style is still hard to follow, initially it's hard to understand what is happening, or why. Maybe that reflects the kind of challenge us oldies face with new technology. The payoff is worth it if you persevere. ( )
  EnsignRamsey | Mar 30, 2015 |
DNF. Thought I would try it since it's an Award winning book. But...sorry to the character 'Case'...I just couldn't get into it. Too many books, too little time. On to the next one. ( )
  DaveLancaster | Mar 21, 2015 |
A new vocabulary for a transformed reality: the deeply influential cyberpunk classic, 30 years on from its original publication
added by dClauzel | editThe Guardian, John Mullan (Nov 7, 2014)

I have to apologize for failing to review William Gibson's "Neuromancer" when it appeared last year. I was led to believe I had done Mr. Gibson an injustice when this novel (the author's first) won both of the important 1984 best-of-the-year awards in science fiction: the Nebula and the Hugo. Now that I have read the book, I would like to cast a belated ballot for Mr. Gibson.

Ovo je roman koji je započeo kiberpank revoluciju, prva knjiga koja je dobila sveto trojstvo nagrada u žanru naučne fantastike - Hugo, Nebula i Filip K. Dik.

Sa Neuromantom, Vilijem Gibson je predstavio svetu kiberprostor i naučna fantastika više nikada nije bila ista. Gibson je svojim romanom najavio sve ono što je došlo godinama kasnije, Internet revoluciju, Matriks filmska trilogiju i neverovatan razvoj informatičkih tehnologija. Kejs je najbolji kompjuterski kauboj koji krstari informatičkim supermagistralama, povezujući svoju svest sa softverom u kiberprostoru, krećući se kroz obilje podataka, pronalazeći tajne informacije za onoga ko može da plati njegove usluge. Kada prevari pogrešne ljude, oni mu se svete na užasan način, uništavajući njegov nervni sistem, mikron po mikron. Proteran iz kiberprostora i zarobljen u svom otupelom telu, Kejs je osuđen na smrt u tehnološkom podzemlju, sve dok ga jednog dana ne angažuju misteriozni poslodavci. Oni mu nude drugu priliku i potpuno izlečenje. Jedini uslov je da prodre u matricu, neverovatno moćnu veštačku inteligenciju kojom upravlja poslovni klan Tezje-Ešpul.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Deb
who made it possible
with love
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
See, those things, they can work real hard, buy themselves time to write cookbooks or whatever, but the minute, I mean the nanosecond, that one starts figuring out ways to make itself smarter, Turing'll wipe it. Nobody trusts those fuckers, you know that. Every AI ever built has an electromagnetic shotgun wired to its forehead.
I never did like to do anything simple when I could do it ass-backwards.
Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation, by children being taught mathematical concepts. … A graphic representation of data abstracted from banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding.
"To call up a demon you must learn its name. Men dreamed that, once, but now it is real in another way. You know that, Case. Your business is to learn the names of programs, the long formal names, names the owners seek to conceal. True names ...." [AI Neuromancer to Case, p243]
Cyber jocks assault.
Founders, corroded, can't stop
The AI jailbreak.

(enterthephil)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441569595, Mass Market Paperback)

Here is the novel that started it all, launching the cyberpunk generation, and the first novel to win the holy trinity of science fiction: the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award and the Philip K. Dick Award. With Neuromancer, William Gibson introduced the world to cyberspace--and science fiction has never been the same.

Case was the hottest computer cowboy cruising the information superhighway--jacking his consciousness into cyberspace, soaring through tactile lattices of data and logic, rustling encoded secrets for anyone with the money to buy his skills. Then he double-crossed the wrong people, who caught up with him in a big way--and burned the talent out of his brain, micron by micron. Banished from cyberspace, trapped in the meat of his physical body, Case courted death in the high-tech underworld. Until a shadowy conspiracy offered him a second chance--and a cure--for a price....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:29 -0400)

Case, a burned out computer whiz, is asked to steal a security code that is locked in the most heavily guarded databank in the solar system.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,900,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible