Neuromancer by William Gibson

Neuromancer (original 1984; edition 2004)

by William Gibson

Series: Sprawl (1)

18,619296146 (3.92)538
Case, a nerve-damaged data thief, is recruited by a new employer for a last-chance run against a powerful artificial intelligence.
Member:Falcon124
Title:Neuromancer
Authors:William Gibson
Info:Ace Hardcover (2004), Edition: 20th, Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:*****

Neuromancer by William Gibson (1984)

Ghost in the Shell by Masamune Shirow (Project2501)
    Project2501: Shares similar themes such as the ghost dive, cyborgs, artificial intelligence, etc.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (thebookpile)
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Vurt by Jeff Noon (falkman)
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (LamontCranston)
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (sturlington)
    Rubicon Harvest by C. W. Kesting (Aeryion)
    Aeryion: Though Rubicon Harvest is not cyber-punk, the worlds within are reminiscent of Philip K. Dick and Gibson's gritty, raw Sprawl-like society--complete with hyper-advanced computer processing (liquid digital optical processors!) and synthetic designer drugs that make 'jacking -in' and Substance-D seem like candy!… (more)
    The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi (g33kgrrl)
    When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger (majkia)
    Trouble and Her Friends by Melissa Scott (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Cyberpunk noir
    The Electric Church by Jeff Somers (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: If you like your cyberpunk with a bit of noir detective pulps, you'll like Jeff Somers.
    After the Long Goodbye by Masaki Yamada (Project2501)
    Babylon Babies by Maurice G. Dantec (S_Meyerson)
    Moxyland by Lauren Beukes (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: South African cyberpunk
1980s (55)
hopes (13)
Books (13)

English (283)  Finnish (3)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Tagalog (1)  German (1)  All languages (296)
If this was the start of Gibson’s “career in the imaginary future” it was a really good start. Thirty-five years later I read this as research for my own novel, which is going in a different direction with respect to artificial intelligences. Gibson’s hero asks one of his villains, “Are you sentient or not?” The answer is, “Well it feels like I am. It’s one of them, ah, philosophical questions.” And it is the philosophical questions blurred behind the constant action and technobabble of Gibson’s story that give it such staying power. ( )
2 vote drardavis | Dec 28, 2019 |
I make no claims as to being the target audience of this novel. I didn't understand it for a second, and must admit I'm still at a loss. But if you like cyberpunk-style writing, apparently you'll enjoy this. ( )
  therebelprince | Dec 14, 2019 |
Intense, fierce imaginings of a world where technology rules. Black markets, warriors, cowboy hackers, AI, this book has it all. ( )
  carliwi | Sep 23, 2019 |
C'est un livre que j'aurais voulu aimer. Parce qu'il était précurseur, parce que son histoire se tient et promet. Mais l'écriture ! Bon sang, comme c'est pédant. Monsieur a voulu faire du beau et il a fait du lourdingue. Un exemple ou deux :

«Ici, le bruissement des affaires créait un bourdonnement subliminal constant et la mort était la punition acceptée pour cause de paresse, négligence, manque de grâce, inaptitude à se conformer aux exigences d'un protocole complexe.» Et bla bla bla... C'est juste du bruit, il n'y a pas de sens.
«Il sentait une force qui courait en elle, une force qu'il avait déjà connue dans la Cité de la nuit quand il la tenait, et qu'elle le tenait, pour retenir l'espace d'un instant le temps et la mort, retenir la Rue infatiguable qui les traquait tous.»
Ça ne veut rien dire. Qu'est-ce que c'est que cette Rue ? Que signifient ces majuscules ? Si encore c'était beau, ce serait de la poésie, mais la, c'est juste de la foutaise. Pffff ( )
  miloshth | Sep 7, 2019 |
Whew, it’s been a while since I’ve been this bored by a book. If I had any sense at all I would have abandoned it, but it’s a short and formative work, and I have zero book abandonment skills. Neuromancer was originally published in the 80’s and was influential for the cyberpunk subgenre. I’m not a big fan of cyberpunk in the first place, although I have gotten some enjoyment out of the works I’ve read in the past. This is the first one I’ve disliked quite this much.

The main character, Case, has had a career doing jobs in cyberspace. After trying to steal from one of his employers, he’s punished with nerve damage that prevents him from “jacking into” cyberspace anymore. So he’s down and out, barely scraping by, doing lots of drugs and alcohol as you would expect from a proper cyberpunk main character, when an unknown person offers to fix his nerve damage in exchange for doing a job. Naturally, this job proves to have more facets than it originally appears.

In the very beginning, when I had first started it with an open mind and was putting the effort into it, I followed the story fine. However, the story didn’t hold my interest and I didn’t care about the characters. The further I got, the less interested I became, so the less effort I put into following it, but this book really does require some effort to understand what the heck is going on. So the less effort I put into it, the less I understood, which led to me enjoying it even less and putting even less effort into it. A vicious cycle!

The story did on rare occasions interest me, and a few things made me chuckle, but I didn’t really like it. I think there is some value in reading this book if you have any interest in becoming familiar with various classic and influential science fiction books, but this is a book you should go into with energy and determination to put the necessary effort into it and make it to the end. Either that, or go into it with better book abandonment skills than I possess. :)

I’m rating it at 1.5 stars, the lowest rating I’ve given any book since I started rating and reviewing books in late 2013. I’m rounding up to 2 on Goodreads because the book isn’t without merit and my dislike was more due to personal taste than bad writing. ( )
3 vote YouKneeK | Jun 25, 2019 |
A new vocabulary for a transformed reality: the deeply influential cyberpunk classic, 30 years on from its original publication
added by dClauzel | editThe Guardian, John Mullan (Nov 7, 2014)

I have to apologize for failing to review William Gibson's "Neuromancer" when it appeared last year. I was led to believe I had done Mr. Gibson an injustice when this novel (the author's first) won both of the important 1984 best-of-the-year awards in science fiction: the Nebula and the Hugo. Now that I have read the book, I would like to cast a belated ballot for Mr. Gibson.

Ovo je roman koji je započeo kiberpank revoluciju, prva knjiga koja je dobila sveto trojstvo nagrada u žanru naučne fantastike - Hugo, Nebula i Filip K. Dik.

Sa Neuromantom, Vilijem Gibson je predstavio svetu kiberprostor i naučna fantastika više nikada nije bila ista. Gibson je svojim romanom najavio sve ono što je došlo godinama kasnije, Internet revoluciju, Matriks filmska trilogiju i neverovatan razvoj informatičkih tehnologija. Kejs je najbolji kompjuterski kauboj koji krstari informatičkim supermagistralama, povezujući svoju svest sa softverom u kiberprostoru, krećući se kroz obilje podataka, pronalazeći tajne informacije za onoga ko može da plati njegove usluge. Kada prevari pogrešne ljude, oni mu se svete na užasan način, uništavajući njegov nervni sistem, mikron po mikron. Proteran iz kiberprostora i zarobljen u svom otupelom telu, Kejs je osuđen na smrt u tehnološkom podzemlju, sve dok ga jednog dana ne angažuju misteriozni poslodavci. Oni mu nude drugu priliku i potpuno izlečenje. Jedini uslov je da prodre u matricu, neverovatno moćnu veštačku inteligenciju kojom upravlja poslovni klan Tezje-Ešpul.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Deb
who made it possible
with love
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
See, those things, they can work real hard, buy themselves time to write cookbooks or whatever, but the minute, I mean the nanosecond, that one starts figuring out ways to make itself smarter, Turing'll wipe it. Nobody trusts those fuckers, you know that. Every AI ever built has an electromagnetic shotgun wired to its forehead.
I never did like to do anything simple when I could do it ass-backwards.
Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation, by children being taught mathematical concepts. … A graphic representation of data abstracted from banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding.
"To call up a demon you must learn its name. Men dreamed that, once, but now it is real in another way. You know that, Case. Your business is to learn the names of programs, the long formal names, names the owners seek to conceal. True names ...." [AI Neuromancer to Case, p243]
NEUROMANCER was written by William Gibson.

Cyber jocks assault.
Founders, corroded, can't stop
The AI jailbreak.

(enterthephil)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,389,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible