No title (1984)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Neuromancer by William Gibson (1984)

Ghost in the Shell by Masamune Shirow (Project2501)
    Project2501: Shares similar themes such as the ghost dive, cyborgs, artificial intelligence, etc.
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (thebookpile)
    Vurt by Jeff Noon (falkman)
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (LamontCranston)
    Rubicon Harvest by C. W. Kesting (Aeryion)
    Aeryion: Though Rubicon Harvest is not cyber-punk, the worlds within are reminiscent of Philip K. Dick and Gibson's gritty, raw Sprawl-like society--complete with hyper-advanced computer processing (liquid digital optical processors!) and synthetic designer drugs that make 'jacking -in' and Substance-D seem like candy!… (more)
    Pattern Recognition by William Gibson (sturlington)
    Trouble and Her Friends by Melissa Scott (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Cyberpunk noir
    After the Long Goodbye by Masaki Yamada (Project2501)
    Babylon Babies by Maurice G. Dantec (S_Meyerson)
    The Electric Church by Jeff Somers (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: If you like your cyberpunk with a bit of noir detective pulps, you'll like Jeff Somers.
    Moxyland by Lauren Beukes (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: South African cyberpunk

English (247)  French (2)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Tagalog (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (255)
I tried to like this book for there is much that is worthy in it but the plot and characters simply did not engage me and I struggled to finish it. The fact that it won the trifecta of sci-fi awards; the Nebula, the Philip K. Dick,and the Hugo merely makes those descriptors official. It would be excellent on the big screen where special effects would do justice to both characters and action sequences. No, it does not belong on the 1001 List of Books You Must Read Before You Die. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
Classic sci-fi. There's really nothing more to say. ( )
  richardross79 | Jun 1, 2016 |
I actually really enjoyed this book, just don't ask me exactly what it was about!
It took a little time to get into, as the copy I read had very small text and the writing style is quite detail oriented. It also didn't help that the tale is quite complex, with may futuristic elements that weren't very well explained, but sort of just dropped in, leaving you to fend for yourself.
I found the characters rich and compelling, including the mysterious AI Wintermute. Both Molly and Case were excellently written and I found myself genuinely interested in them and their welfare.
It's not a gentle read, so as long as you go into it expecting it not to be, I would recommend it quite highly. ( )
  fothpaul | May 8, 2016 |
The basis for the film Matrix and the source of the word Cyberspace led me to have high expectations for this book. Instead, I found it disappointing. ( )
  M_Clark | Apr 26, 2016 |
I worry that I've been spoiled on this book.

Hear me out. No one's run up to me and breathlessly announced how the plot resolves. Instead, I'm acutely aware that I'm living in the world that Neuromancer built. Gibson threw out nuggets of original brilliance and others have spent decades mining them dry in every possible media, then greenlighting two sequels just to be sure.

John Carpenter's Halloween doesn;t have the same punch today because everything original hass been imitated ad nauseum. I played Cyberpunk: The Roleplaying Game of the Dark Future since middle school; How's the original DNA going to look?

. . . It's still a great story.

Case, a down on his luck technohacker, is shanghaied into pulling that One Last Job. Years ago, he ran the Matrix, a "shared hallucination" VR Internet that Gibson prophetically envisioned when he wrote this on a typewriter. Case can't even run the Matrix anymore; his previous employed used neurotoxins to ensure that.

Now two dangerous strangers claim to be able to cure Case's problem if he'll work their caper.

Neuromancer is part heist film, part crime noir. Our characters are damaged and our world is unforgiving. It never got too mean or cynical for me, though, and I enjoyed watching their backgrounds unfurl. The world's really neat though, with its Turing police hunting those who collaborate with AIs and its weird-ass orbital colonies.

Still, it's not perfect. I feel bad for Gibson; everyone holds up his first novel as a masterpiece, and he's spoken of his wish that he'd written it better.

I'll drop one spoiler in this paragraph; skip to the next if you want. When you introduce a character by explicitly, in-text, having people say he's pathologically addicted to and sexually aroused by betraying people . . . Yeah, I think I've said enough.

All right, so it's not a perfect. And, yes, I may not have been as wowed by it as I would have back when I first started role-playing in Night City, shortly before my Bar Mitzvah. There's still enough neat bits that haven't been stolen to surprise the reader, and the bits that have been stolen still gleam in their original form. It's a great crime story and thoughtful SF together.

Hell, the next to last page has a bit come in from almost another genre. Had I been a good little cyberpunk and read this in my youth, it surely would've been at the heart of my games.

Read this. Modern science fiction makes more sense if you do. ( )
1 vote K.t.Katzmann | Apr 13, 2016 |
A new vocabulary for a transformed reality: the deeply influential cyberpunk classic, 30 years on from its original publication
added by dClauzel | editThe Guardian, John Mullan (Nov 7, 2014)

I have to apologize for failing to review William Gibson's "Neuromancer" when it appeared last year. I was led to believe I had done Mr. Gibson an injustice when this novel (the author's first) won both of the important 1984 best-of-the-year awards in science fiction: the Nebula and the Hugo. Now that I have read the book, I would like to cast a belated ballot for Mr. Gibson.

Ovo je roman koji je započeo kiberpank revoluciju, prva knjiga koja je dobila sveto trojstvo nagrada u žanru naučne fantastike - Hugo, Nebula i Filip K. Dik.

Sa Neuromantom, Vilijem Gibson je predstavio svetu kiberprostor i naučna fantastika više nikada nije bila ista. Gibson je svojim romanom najavio sve ono što je došlo godinama kasnije, Internet revoluciju, Matriks filmska trilogiju i neverovatan razvoj informatičkih tehnologija. Kejs je najbolji kompjuterski kauboj koji krstari informatičkim supermagistralama, povezujući svoju svest sa softverom u kiberprostoru, krećući se kroz obilje podataka, pronalazeći tajne informacije za onoga ko može da plati njegove usluge. Kada prevari pogrešne ljude, oni mu se svete na užasan način, uništavajući njegov nervni sistem, mikron po mikron. Proteran iz kiberprostora i zarobljen u svom otupelom telu, Kejs je osuđen na smrt u tehnološkom podzemlju, sve dok ga jednog dana ne angažuju misteriozni poslodavci. Oni mu nude drugu priliku i potpuno izlečenje. Jedini uslov je da prodre u matricu, neverovatno moćnu veštačku inteligenciju kojom upravlja poslovni klan Tezje-Ešpul.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Deb
who made it possible
with love
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
See, those things, they can work real hard, buy themselves time to write cookbooks or whatever, but the minute, I mean the nanosecond, that one starts figuring out ways to make itself smarter, Turing'll wipe it. Nobody trusts those fuckers, you know that. Every AI ever built has an electromagnetic shotgun wired to its forehead.
I never did like to do anything simple when I could do it ass-backwards.
Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation, by children being taught mathematical concepts. … A graphic representation of data abstracted from banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding.
"To call up a demon you must learn its name. Men dreamed that, once, but now it is real in another way. You know that, Case. Your business is to learn the names of programs, the long formal names, names the owners seek to conceal. True names ...." [AI Neuromancer to Case, p243]
Cyber jocks assault.
Founders, corroded, can't stop
The AI jailbreak.

(enterthephil)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441569595, Mass Market Paperback)

Here is the novel that started it all, launching the cyberpunk generation, and the first novel to win the holy trinity of science fiction: the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award and the Philip K. Dick Award. With Neuromancer, William Gibson introduced the world to cyberspace--and science fiction has never been the same.

Case was the hottest computer cowboy cruising the information superhighway--jacking his consciousness into cyberspace, soaring through tactile lattices of data and logic, rustling encoded secrets for anyone with the money to buy his skills. Then he double-crossed the wrong people, who caught up with him in a big way--and burned the talent out of his brain, micron by micron. Banished from cyberspace, trapped in the meat of his physical body, Case courted death in the high-tech underworld. Until a shadowy conspiracy offered him a second chance--and a cure--for a price....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:29 -0400)

Case, a burned out computer whiz, is asked to steal a security code that is locked in the most heavily guarded databank in the solar system.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,772,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible