Neuromancer by William Gibson

Neuromancer (original 1984; edition 1995)

by William Gibson

Series: Sprawl (1)

Member:othersam
Title:Neuromancer
Authors:William Gibson
Info:Voyager (1995), Paperback

Neuromancer by William Gibson (1984)

Recently added bycmc, merrells, DGaryJ, rena75, private library, thayaracosta, The_Hoard_MHC, theclicheherself, smegma
    Ghost in the Shell by Masamune Shirow (Project2501)
    Project2501: Shares similar themes such as the ghost dive, cyborgs, artificial intelligence, etc.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (thebookpile)
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Vurt by Jeff Noon (falkman)
    Pattern Recognition by William Gibson (sturlington)
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (LamontCranston)
    Rubicon Harvest by C. W. Kesting (Aeryion)
    Aeryion: Though Rubicon Harvest is not cyber-punk, the worlds within are reminiscent of Philip K. Dick and Gibson's gritty, raw Sprawl-like society--complete with hyper-advanced computer processing (liquid digital optical processors!) and synthetic designer drugs that make 'jacking -in' and Substance-D seem like candy!… (more)
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (andomck)
    andomck: Neuromancer is exactly the type of 80's nerd culture that Oscar Wait submerged himself in.
    When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger (majkia)
    Trouble and Her Friends by Melissa Scott (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Cyberpunk noir
    The Electric Church by Jeff Somers (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: If you like your cyberpunk with a bit of noir detective pulps, you'll like Jeff Somers.
    Babylon Babies by Maurice G. Dantec (S_Meyerson)
    After the Long Goodbye by Masaki Yamada (Project2501)
    The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi (g33kgrrl)
    Moxyland by Lauren Beukes (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: South African cyberpunk
1980s (53)

English (272)  Finnish (3)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Tagalog (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (284)
I don't really know how to feel. I can set my mind back to the time when I first discovered this book—a time when the internet was not ubiquitous—and can still be a little stunned by Gibson's ideas. I can see all of the ways in which it has influenced pop culture since its publication. I can appreciate it as a modern, near-future noir. But, there are technologies that seem quaint (cassettes! diskettes! landlines! dial-up modems!) and none of the female characters feel like anything more than two-dimensional plot devices. (Gods, I thought Molly was so cool back in the day, but now she just reads as hot female assassin with no real agency of her own. She seemingly never does anything of her own volition, but only because one of the male characters—or The Narrative—needed her to do so. I've grown as a reader. Why couldn't Molly have grown as a character along with me?)

So, no star rating. early-90s me would give it 4.5 or 5, but now me would give it a grudging 3.
  BillieBook | Nov 20, 2018 |
Very visually appealing. Would have been a wonderful movie. Not a great book. ( )
  camillawb | Nov 6, 2018 |
I make no claims as to being the target audience of this novel. I didn't understand it for a second, and must admit I'm still at a loss. But if you like cyberpunk-style writing, apparently you'll enjoy this. ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
Neuromancer is a thorough investigation of mixing organic and mechanical, human and artificial intelligence, and connecting the electronic and the human neural network. Humans can "jack into" cyberspace and navigate through it as a physical experience, seeing data as geometric shapes, flying through it like navigating an air plane. The simstim provides complete neural transfer between two people - albeit only one-way. Artficial intelligence is affecting the human world - it hires people to do its bidding, influences them, creates virtual experiences from their memories. Humans clash with humans, AIs with AIs. What is the matrix, the cyberspace? Wintermute is data, Neuromancer is personality. Flatline represents a dead person's mind saved as data - Linda is a saved personality. Case and Flatline ride cyberspace like cowboys. Molly is cyborg, transformed via implants and neural upgrades into a super ninja. The Tessier-Ashpool clan is a genetically cloned crazy family that extends their life spans via hybernation. Others can be repaired or enhanced via genetic engineering as their budget allows.

The ideas are rich and intriguing and examined in great detail. Gibson invented the term cyberspace, and this book was groundbreaking in 1984. Thirty-one years later it feels dated. In the eighties it was cool and edgy to depict jaded, burnt out characters without feelings, unattached and uncaring, filling the void in their lives with drugs, seeking pleasures, and taking dangerous jobs. Now this seems empty and self-serving. The characters have nothing to offer but be part of the story. The story itself is convoluted and towards the end it descends into psychedelic visions and trite questions. Gibson invents its own slang for the book, which makes the world richer and more immersing, but often interferes with understanding what's going on. This, coupled with the mixing of real and artificial, thought and perceived, makes the book hard to follow and confusing.

Overall, the strengtsh of the book are the rich world building and the exploration of blending of human and artificial neural networks, and its weaknesses are the flat, jaded characters, their lack of motivation, and the confusing language and story line. This is an interesting novel, however it does not connect with me at a human level. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
In a few words: the body versus the mind.

Sort of.

I read this in a college class on literature and popular culture in a segment on cyberpunk. The best way to imagine this book, I think, is to take The Matrix, turn it inside out, and add the visual element of Tron. It's a curious setting, with a purpose that was up for some debate in class. Tech modified bodies, vat-grown meat, space vacations, out-of-body internet surfing...it's an interesting enough read just for the world Gibson lays out, which is good because I'm still not sure I understood the conclusion of the plot, except to say that it's something of a thinker. It remains a book that has stuck with me. ( )
  WeeTurtle | Oct 17, 2018 |
A new vocabulary for a transformed reality: the deeply influential cyberpunk classic, 30 years on from its original publication
added by dClauzel | editThe Guardian, John Mullan (Nov 7, 2014)

I have to apologize for failing to review William Gibson's "Neuromancer" when it appeared last year. I was led to believe I had done Mr. Gibson an injustice when this novel (the author's first) won both of the important 1984 best-of-the-year awards in science fiction: the Nebula and the Hugo. Now that I have read the book, I would like to cast a belated ballot for Mr. Gibson.

Ovo je roman koji je započeo kiberpank revoluciju, prva knjiga koja je dobila sveto trojstvo nagrada u žanru naučne fantastike - Hugo, Nebula i Filip K. Dik.

Sa Neuromantom, Vilijem Gibson je predstavio svetu kiberprostor i naučna fantastika više nikada nije bila ista. Gibson je svojim romanom najavio sve ono što je došlo godinama kasnije, Internet revoluciju, Matriks filmska trilogiju i neverovatan razvoj informatičkih tehnologija. Kejs je najbolji kompjuterski kauboj koji krstari informatičkim supermagistralama, povezujući svoju svest sa softverom u kiberprostoru, krećući se kroz obilje podataka, pronalazeći tajne informacije za onoga ko može da plati njegove usluge. Kada prevari pogrešne ljude, oni mu se svete na užasan način, uništavajući njegov nervni sistem, mikron po mikron. Proteran iz kiberprostora i zarobljen u svom otupelom telu, Kejs je osuđen na smrt u tehnološkom podzemlju, sve dok ga jednog dana ne angažuju misteriozni poslodavci. Oni mu nude drugu priliku i potpuno izlečenje. Jedini uslov je da prodre u matricu, neverovatno moćnu veštačku inteligenciju kojom upravlja poslovni klan Tezje-Ešpul.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Deb
who made it possible
with love
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
See, those things, they can work real hard, buy themselves time to write cookbooks or whatever, but the minute, I mean the nanosecond, that one starts figuring out ways to make itself smarter, Turing'll wipe it. Nobody trusts those fuckers, you know that. Every AI ever built has an electromagnetic shotgun wired to its forehead.
I never did like to do anything simple when I could do it ass-backwards.
Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation, by children being taught mathematical concepts. … A graphic representation of data abstracted from banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding.
"To call up a demon you must learn its name. Men dreamed that, once, but now it is real in another way. You know that, Case. Your business is to learn the names of programs, the long formal names, names the owners seek to conceal. True names ...." [AI Neuromancer to Case, p243]
NEUROMANCER was written by William Gibson.

Cyber jocks assault.
Founders, corroded, can't stop
The AI jailbreak.

(enterthephil)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441569595, Mass Market Paperback)

Here is the novel that started it all, launching the cyberpunk generation, and the first novel to win the holy trinity of science fiction: the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award and the Philip K. Dick Award. With Neuromancer, William Gibson introduced the world to cyberspace--and science fiction has never been the same.

Case was the hottest computer cowboy cruising the information superhighway--jacking his consciousness into cyberspace, soaring through tactile lattices of data and logic, rustling encoded secrets for anyone with the money to buy his skills. Then he double-crossed the wrong people, who caught up with him in a big way--and burned the talent out of his brain, micron by micron. Banished from cyberspace, trapped in the meat of his physical body, Case courted death in the high-tech underworld. Until a shadowy conspiracy offered him a second chance--and a cure--for a price....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:29 -0400)

Case, a burned out computer whiz, is asked to steal a security code that is locked in the most heavily guarded databank in the solar system.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,857,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible