Neuromancer by William Gibson

Neuromancer (original 1984; edition 1984)

by William Gibson

Series: Sprawl (1)

Authors:William Gibson
Info:New York: Ace Books # 56956 1st Edition 1984 (1984), Edition: First Edition, Unknown Binding

Neuromancer by William Gibson (1984)

Ghost in the Shell by Masamune Shirow (Project2501)
    Project2501: Shares similar themes such as the ghost dive, cyborgs, artificial intelligence, etc.
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (thebookpile)
    Vurt by Jeff Noon (falkman)
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (LamontCranston)
    Rubicon Harvest by C. W. Kesting (Aeryion)
    Aeryion: Though Rubicon Harvest is not cyber-punk, the worlds within are reminiscent of Philip K. Dick and Gibson's gritty, raw Sprawl-like society--complete with hyper-advanced computer processing (liquid digital optical processors!) and synthetic designer drugs that make 'jacking -in' and Substance-D seem like candy!… (more)
    Pattern Recognition by William Gibson (sturlington)
    Trouble and Her Friends by Melissa Scott (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Cyberpunk noir
    After the Long Goodbye by Masaki Yamada (Project2501)
    Babylon Babies by Maurice G. Dantec (S_Meyerson)
    The Electric Church by Jeff Somers (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: If you like your cyberpunk with a bit of noir detective pulps, you'll like Jeff Somers.
    Moxyland by Lauren Beukes (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: South African cyberpunk

English (227)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  French (2)  Tagalog (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (236)
A cyberspace heist, set in a not-too-distant future. This story is wonderfully imaginative - as expected from a book that defined the word cyberspace - and fairly bleak. Drugs, the matrix, cosmetic surgery, and the growing humanity of artificial constructs all make the people in the story into side-line characters, who are each exactly and only the same as their jobs. In its way, this allows for a sneaky sort of commentary on identity, and the possibility that the AI in this future world are just as human as the people. The writing itself is engaging, though the individual relationships between characters (especially male-female) are horribly dated and eye-rollingly 70's-esque, which creates an entertaining frisson given the way erudite references to technology and science create an overall futuristic landscape. It's the type of narrative that would make a flashy and easily adapted film - the kind with lots of style, but not any character-building (but isn't that kind of the point, anyway?). ( )
  Larkken | Nov 16, 2015 |
I can understand and appreciate that this book is "a classic" and one of the first to introduce a number of concepts that are commonplace in sci-fi today. The story includes lots of fascinating topics, including cyberspace, AI, virtual reality, genetic engineering and so on. Had I read it when it first came out, perhaps I would've been blown away. However, reading it today, 25 years after it was originally published, I'm just not that entertained.

* The story itself is pretty scatter brain and at times, hard to follow. Gibson intentionally throws the reader in the middle of a strange world and does very little explaining. On the one hand, it can sometimes be fun to try to follow along and figure out what the surroundings are. At other times, it can be frustrating and feel like a waste of time that could have easily been avoided with a simple explanatory sentence or two.

* The plot starts out relatively boring and simple and while the world surrounding it can get complex, the main storyline has very few interesting twists or intricacies to it.

* The characters are mostly flat and uninteresting and you never get attached to them. I was constantly indifferent to whether they'd live or die, succeed or fail, end up happy or miserable.

* While the writing style can be interesting and intriguing at some points, other parts of the book sound like a prepubescent nerd's wet dream - you can almost hear a nasally voice reading the story to you, pushing his coke bottle glasses up his nose periodically.

In short, the entertainment value of the book just didn't age well. However, it's influence on the sci-fi is clear and the numerous new ideas it brought to the table have become a staple of the genre. ( )
  brikis98 | Nov 11, 2015 |
This is turning into the year of the reread for me. Normally I'm yearning to get the next new book in my sweaty paw, but at the moment it seems just too much like hard work. I haven't got it in me to break in new authors, the authors I like don't have anything out. I think it's partly because what I'm really in the mood for is a clutch of fast and furious and smart thrillers and i just can't find any. So let us regress to comfort reading! Yay cyberpunk dystopian urban neon nightmare!

I suppose the attraction here is that it is the quintessence, if not the very first example, of hard boiled crime merging seamlessly with science fiction, bringing the computer jocks and cloned ninjas and enhanced warrior women and immortal corporate fiefdoms to the down and dirty street-level grime and sleaze and cool that was always a vision of the present as refracted through our imagined future. At heart, Neuromancer is a heist novel, perhaps even a jailbreak and, heck, the bulk of it takes place in space. It's funny how we (or I, anyway) equate Gibson with films like the The Matrix or even Inception where our heroes battle it out in unreal environments, but, though crucial, cyberspace is minimally used as a setting, and Case's addiction to the fleshless sizzle of the matrix is only one aspect of the novel. Never forget Molly and her claws, or poor schizoid Corto, or monstrous Riviera, all broken and fractured psyches, all knocked down and built up and set running by god-like intelligences waiting to be born.

The prose is cut like crystal and surprisingly heavy for something that flows so fast. It's always a shock to find yourself halfway through a paragraph and suddenly wonder if you're reading a poem of some kind. Violence is swift and brief and brutal. There are passages of lingering horror, usually Riviera's grotesque visions, and others of sudden clarity or beauty. It's dated, because there's no wi-fi or tablets or touchscreen and nobody has phones, but it's still a sleek, shining novel of the eighties, of money and crime and technology churning and transforming and full of danger ( )
  Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |
I can recognise the significance, or at least the prescience, of this 1983 book in anticipating the role of virtual reality or cyber-space, the term coined by Gibson, but I did not enjoy it.

Once I had worked out more or less (and admittedly the emphasis should probably be on the ‘less’) what was what with all the challenging terminology, I found that there wasn’t anything to make me want to read on. It’s all action in a virtual reality sort of way and I’m not interested in the hallucinations/cyberspace travels of the characters nor what becomes of them. Case may have elements of the tough investigator but his, and his society’s addiction to mind-altering effects leaves me nonplussed – “’Talk to Flatline about it’ – ‘I’m all doped,’ he protested”. It confirms for me that life with ‘trodes’ is life wasted though I guess Case’s entrances into cyberspace are all necessary to the action.

I preferred Dick’s ‘Android’ novel which begins in such a similar way to Gibson’s novel. Here Dick was able to portray a hi-tech world and engage the reader through the characters and issues and although Gibson may have been more accurate in aspects of his future dystopia than Dick, it seems to me that his lack of interest in drawing the readers to his characters diminishes the final result. Yes, Gibson portrays a world all too familiar to me when the exception is a person in public without a device attached to them, but did Gibson want to warn us about this sort of world or simply to explore it? ( )
  evening | Oct 3, 2015 |
Written ahead of it's time, this book is a cultural staple for those interested in the sci-fi/cyberpunk genre. Gibson creates and amazing world for this series, and the world has leaked into pop-culture today in many important sci-fi stories. That being said, it can be a bit difficult to follow, and many scenes hard to understand what's happening ( )
  l3lazec | Sep 29, 2015 |
A new vocabulary for a transformed reality: the deeply influential cyberpunk classic, 30 years on from its original publication
added by dClauzel | editThe Guardian, John Mullan (Nov 7, 2014)
I have to apologize for failing to review William Gibson's "Neuromancer" when it appeared last year. I was led to believe I had done Mr. Gibson an injustice when this novel (the author's first) won both of the important 1984 best-of-the-year awards in science fiction: the Nebula and the Hugo. Now that I have read the book, I would like to cast a belated ballot for Mr. Gibson.
Ovo je roman koji je započeo kiberpank revoluciju, prva knjiga koja je dobila sveto trojstvo nagrada u žanru naučne fantastike - Hugo, Nebula i Filip K. Dik.

Sa Neuromantom, Vilijem Gibson je predstavio svetu kiberprostor i naučna fantastika više nikada nije bila ista. Gibson je svojim romanom najavio sve ono što je došlo godinama kasnije, Internet revoluciju, Matriks filmska trilogiju i neverovatan razvoj informatičkih tehnologija. Kejs je najbolji kompjuterski kauboj koji krstari informatičkim supermagistralama, povezujući svoju svest sa softverom u kiberprostoru, krećući se kroz obilje podataka, pronalazeći tajne informacije za onoga ko može da plati njegove usluge. Kada prevari pogrešne ljude, oni mu se svete na užasan način, uništavajući njegov nervni sistem, mikron po mikron. Proteran iz kiberprostora i zarobljen u svom otupelom telu, Kejs je osuđen na smrt u tehnološkom podzemlju, sve dok ga jednog dana ne angažuju misteriozni poslodavci. Oni mu nude drugu priliku i potpuno izlečenje. Jedini uslov je da prodre u matricu, neverovatno moćnu veštačku inteligenciju kojom upravlja poslovni klan Tezje-Ešpul.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Deb
who made it possible
with love
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
See, those things, they can work real hard, buy themselves time to write cookbooks or whatever, but the minute, I mean the nanosecond, that one starts figuring out ways to make itself smarter, Turing'll wipe it. Nobody trusts those fuckers, you know that. Every AI ever built has an electromagnetic shotgun wired to its forehead.
I never did like to do anything simple when I could do it ass-backwards.
Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation, by children being taught mathematical concepts. … A graphic representation of data abstracted from banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding.
"To call up a demon you must learn its name. Men dreamed that, once, but now it is real in another way. You know that, Case. Your business is to learn the names of programs, the long formal names, names the owners seek to conceal. True names ...." [AI Neuromancer to Case, p243]
Cyber jocks assault.
Founders, corroded, can't stop
The AI jailbreak.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441569595, Mass Market Paperback)

Here is the novel that started it all, launching the cyberpunk generation, and the first novel to win the holy trinity of science fiction: the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award and the Philip K. Dick Award. With Neuromancer, William Gibson introduced the world to cyberspace--and science fiction has never been the same.

Case was the hottest computer cowboy cruising the information superhighway--jacking his consciousness into cyberspace, soaring through tactile lattices of data and logic, rustling encoded secrets for anyone with the money to buy his skills. Then he double-crossed the wrong people, who caught up with him in a big way--and burned the talent out of his brain, micron by micron. Banished from cyberspace, trapped in the meat of his physical body, Case courted death in the high-tech underworld. Until a shadowy conspiracy offered him a second chance--and a cure--for a price....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:29 -0400)

Case, a burned out computer whiz, is asked to steal a security code that is locked in the most heavily guarded databank in the solar system.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,850,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible