Neuromancer by William Gibson

Neuromancer (original 1984; edition 1984)

by William Gibson

Series: Sprawl (1)

Member:BenRoyland
Title:Neuromancer
Authors:William Gibson
Info:New York: Ace Books # 56956 1st Edition 1984 (1984), Edition: First Edition, Unknown Binding

Neuromancer by William Gibson (1984)

Ghost in the Shell by Masamune Shirow (Project2501)
    Project2501: Shares similar themes such as the ghost dive, cyborgs, artificial intelligence, etc.
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (thebookpile)
    Vurt by Jeff Noon (falkman)
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (LamontCranston)
    Rubicon Harvest by C. W. Kesting (Aeryion)
    Aeryion: Though Rubicon Harvest is not cyber-punk, the worlds within are reminiscent of Philip K. Dick and Gibson's gritty, raw Sprawl-like society--complete with hyper-advanced computer processing (liquid digital optical processors!) and synthetic designer drugs that make 'jacking -in' and Substance-D seem like candy!… (more)
    Pattern Recognition by William Gibson (sturlington)
    Trouble and Her Friends by Melissa Scott (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Cyberpunk noir
    After the Long Goodbye by Masaki Yamada (Project2501)
    Babylon Babies by Maurice G. Dantec (S_Meyerson)
    The Electric Church by Jeff Somers (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: If you like your cyberpunk with a bit of noir detective pulps, you'll like Jeff Somers.
    Moxyland by Lauren Beukes (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: South African cyberpunk

English (238)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  French (2)  Tagalog (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (247)
What a good book . It really deserves the awards it won: Hugo, Nebula, & Philip K. Dick. Not just for the story – which is a fun ride: down&out Matrix hacker Case is bribed/blackmailed into working for a mysterious cipher, Armitage, and given a partner – the original mirrorshades gal, Molly. But who is Armitage working for, and what is a nature of the job that needs to be done? Plenty of action and angst – but what made this book so influential was the milieu. Gibson created the whole cyberpunk aesthetic, and this is the book that catapulted it into the popular consiousness.
On the subway yesterday, while I was reading, another woman was like, "hey, if you like that book, I want to recommend another: ‘Snow Crash'. It might even be better!" And, you know, I'd agree. ‘Snow Crash' might be a better novel. But ‘Neuromancer' was the original. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
A classic, but a very strange book. I realize that this classic set the stage for many, many things which came later. But I felt that it was rather random, wandered, and lacked clarity. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
I had a hard time rating this one. I usually enjoy sci-fi, so on that level I enjoyed it. The writing was ok, at times it was hard to understand(technology, language, and writing style.) I went to the author's webpage, and read his "About me" page. He cites William Burroughs as an early influence(when he was 15), and that gave me an insight into his writing style. This novel reminded me a lot of Naked Lunch, which I couldn't stand because of his writing style, but mostly because of the gratuitous violence and sex. I ultimately rate it 2.5 stars, rounded up to 3 on my shelf, mostly because I thought the concept of the story was an interesting one. I may read the next in the series. I'm still not sure. ( )
  AmieB7 | Jan 21, 2016 |
I’ll try to start with a plot summary, but I will mention that I’m not exactly sure what the plot of this one is. In some part of the future with really advanced technology a drug-addicted computer hacker named Case is asked/forced to hack an extremely advanced artificial intelligence. Then stuff happens.

I’m not a big sci-fi fan, and books like this are the reason why. It took me quite a while to figure out where I was, and about the time I’d think I had something figured out, all of a sudden I was someplace else. There were times when I was sucked in to it, and other times when I was completely lost. Although now that I think of it, that was probably exactly how Case felt every time he jacked into the matrix of cyberspace. By the middle of the book, I was convinced that the author meant to write the book this way, and I think he made the right choice. It turned out to be a good book, and is probably brilliant, but I’m not willing to invest the time necessary to really figure everything out. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
Apparently the cyberpunk genre is not my thing. I read this book because it was on the 1001 books to read. I found it difficult to get through. I couldn't really identify with any of the characters and therefore didn't really care what happened to any of them. I also found myself skimming over a lot of the chapters because I didn't really like the technical aspects. I read half the book without understanding what was happening (probably in large part b/c I skimmed over a lot) and by that time I didn't care enough to go back and re-read to make sense of it all. I can understand why it was considered an important book but I found it confusing and hard to follow. ( )
  JenPrim | Jan 15, 2016 |
A new vocabulary for a transformed reality: the deeply influential cyberpunk classic, 30 years on from its original publication
added by dClauzel | editThe Guardian, John Mullan (Nov 7, 2014)

I have to apologize for failing to review William Gibson's "Neuromancer" when it appeared last year. I was led to believe I had done Mr. Gibson an injustice when this novel (the author's first) won both of the important 1984 best-of-the-year awards in science fiction: the Nebula and the Hugo. Now that I have read the book, I would like to cast a belated ballot for Mr. Gibson.

Ovo je roman koji je započeo kiberpank revoluciju, prva knjiga koja je dobila sveto trojstvo nagrada u žanru naučne fantastike - Hugo, Nebula i Filip K. Dik.

Sa Neuromantom, Vilijem Gibson je predstavio svetu kiberprostor i naučna fantastika više nikada nije bila ista. Gibson je svojim romanom najavio sve ono što je došlo godinama kasnije, Internet revoluciju, Matriks filmska trilogiju i neverovatan razvoj informatičkih tehnologija. Kejs je najbolji kompjuterski kauboj koji krstari informatičkim supermagistralama, povezujući svoju svest sa softverom u kiberprostoru, krećući se kroz obilje podataka, pronalazeći tajne informacije za onoga ko može da plati njegove usluge. Kada prevari pogrešne ljude, oni mu se svete na užasan način, uništavajući njegov nervni sistem, mikron po mikron. Proteran iz kiberprostora i zarobljen u svom otupelom telu, Kejs je osuđen na smrt u tehnološkom podzemlju, sve dok ga jednog dana ne angažuju misteriozni poslodavci. Oni mu nude drugu priliku i potpuno izlečenje. Jedini uslov je da prodre u matricu, neverovatno moćnu veštačku inteligenciju kojom upravlja poslovni klan Tezje-Ešpul.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Deb
who made it possible
with love
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
See, those things, they can work real hard, buy themselves time to write cookbooks or whatever, but the minute, I mean the nanosecond, that one starts figuring out ways to make itself smarter, Turing'll wipe it. Nobody trusts those fuckers, you know that. Every AI ever built has an electromagnetic shotgun wired to its forehead.
I never did like to do anything simple when I could do it ass-backwards.
Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation, by children being taught mathematical concepts. … A graphic representation of data abstracted from banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding.
"To call up a demon you must learn its name. Men dreamed that, once, but now it is real in another way. You know that, Case. Your business is to learn the names of programs, the long formal names, names the owners seek to conceal. True names ...." [AI Neuromancer to Case, p243]
Cyber jocks assault.
Founders, corroded, can't stop
The AI jailbreak.

(enterthephil)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441569595, Mass Market Paperback)

Here is the novel that started it all, launching the cyberpunk generation, and the first novel to win the holy trinity of science fiction: the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award and the Philip K. Dick Award. With Neuromancer, William Gibson introduced the world to cyberspace--and science fiction has never been the same.

Case was the hottest computer cowboy cruising the information superhighway--jacking his consciousness into cyberspace, soaring through tactile lattices of data and logic, rustling encoded secrets for anyone with the money to buy his skills. Then he double-crossed the wrong people, who caught up with him in a big way--and burned the talent out of his brain, micron by micron. Banished from cyberspace, trapped in the meat of his physical body, Case courted death in the high-tech underworld. Until a shadowy conspiracy offered him a second chance--and a cure--for a price....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:29 -0400)

Case, a burned out computer whiz, is asked to steal a security code that is locked in the most heavily guarded databank in the solar system.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,200,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible