Neuromancer by William Gibson

Neuromancer (original 1984; edition 2004)

by William Gibson, William Gibson (Introduction)

Series: Sprawl (1)

Member:TSnikmop
Title:Neuromancer
Authors:William Gibson
Other authors:William Gibson (Introduction)
Info:Ace Hardcover (2004), Edition: 20th anniversary, Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:***

Neuromancer by William Gibson (1984)

Ghost in the Shell by Masamune Shirow (Project2501)
    Project2501: Shares similar themes such as the ghost dive, cyborgs, artificial intelligence, etc.
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (thebookpile)
    Vurt by Jeff Noon (falkman)
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (LamontCranston)
    Rubicon Harvest by C. W. Kesting (Aeryion)
    Aeryion: Though Rubicon Harvest is not cyber-punk, the worlds within are reminiscent of Philip K. Dick and Gibson's gritty, raw Sprawl-like society--complete with hyper-advanced computer processing (liquid digital optical processors!) and synthetic designer drugs that make 'jacking -in' and Substance-D seem like candy!… (more)
    Pattern Recognition by William Gibson (sturlington)
    Trouble and Her Friends by Melissa Scott (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Cyberpunk noir
    After the Long Goodbye by Masaki Yamada (Project2501)
    Babylon Babies by Maurice G. Dantec (S_Meyerson)
    The Electric Church by Jeff Somers (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: If you like your cyberpunk with a bit of noir detective pulps, you'll like Jeff Somers.
    Moxyland by Lauren Beukes (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: South African cyberpunk

English (244)  French (2)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Tagalog (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (252)
The basis for the film Matrix and the source of the word Cyberspace led me to have high expectations for this book. Instead, I found it disappointing. ( )
  M_Clark | Apr 26, 2016 |
I worry that I've been spoiled on this book.

Hear me out. No one's run up to me and breathlessly announced how the plot resolves. Instead, I'm acutely aware that I'm living in the world that Neuromancer built. Gibson threw out nuggets of original brilliance and others have spent decades mining them dry in every possible media, then greenlighting two sequels just to be sure.

John Carpenter's Halloween doesn;t have the same punch today because everything original hass been imitated ad nauseum. I played Cyberpunk: The Roleplaying Game of the Dark Future since middle school; How's the original DNA going to look?

. . . It's still a great story.

Case, a down on his luck technohacker, is shanghaied into pulling that One Last Job. Years ago, he ran the Matrix, a "shared hallucination" VR Internet that Gibson prophetically envisioned when he wrote this on a typewriter. Case can't even run the Matrix anymore; his previous employed used neurotoxins to ensure that.

Now two dangerous strangers claim to be able to cure Case's problem if he'll work their caper.

Neuromancer is part heist film, part crime noir. Our characters are damaged and our world is unforgiving. It never got too mean or cynical for me, though, and I enjoyed watching their backgrounds unfurl. The world's really neat though, with its Turing police hunting those who collaborate with AIs and its weird-ass orbital colonies.

Still, it's not perfect. I feel bad for Gibson; everyone holds up his first novel as a masterpiece, and he's spoken of his wish that he'd written it better.

I'll drop one spoiler in this paragraph; skip to the next if you want. When you introduce a character by explicitly, in-text, having people say he's pathologically addicted to and sexually aroused by betraying people . . . Yeah, I think I've said enough.

All right, so it's not a perfect. And, yes, I may not have been as wowed by it as I would have back when I first started role-playing in Night City, shortly before my Bar Mitzvah. There's still enough neat bits that haven't been stolen to surprise the reader, and the bits that have been stolen still gleam in their original form. It's a great crime story and thoughtful SF together.

Hell, the next to last page has a bit come in from almost another genre. Had I been a good little cyberpunk and read this in my youth, it surely would've been at the heart of my games.

Read this. Modern science fiction makes more sense if you do. ( )
1 vote K.t.Katzmann | Apr 13, 2016 |
I won't go into a synopsis of the book, as many people have already summarized it, and much better than I ever could. For those of you who are not aware, Neuromancer won the Hugo, the Nebula and the Philip K Dick award, the first book to have ever achieved all three honors. Gibson was responsible for coining the term cyberspace in another short story, and here, his protagonist, Case, jacks into the matrix. Yes, this book influenced the Wachowski's film, The Matrix.

Keep in mind that this book was written in 1983. For those of you who do not recall technology in 1983, there wasn't much available for the general population. The internet (or matrix, if you will) was first developed in the late 1960s but wasn't expanded upon until the early 1980s when the Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) was introduced. Its usage was mainly limited to research and educational organizations at that time. It wasn't until 1989 that the first commercial dial-up service was introduced in the US. Personal computers were first introduced in 1977, and were becoming more popular in the early 1980s, but it wasn't until the 1990s that Microsoft and Apple developed the operating systems that were to make computers common in many households. I took my first computer class in college in 1983. I was just at the time when programming was switching from input via punch cards to actually typing in code via a terminal. The terminal was attached to a large mainframe computer located at a central location on campus.

Reading the book today gives one a different appreciation than it would have when the book was first released. It is amazing to me now because, in a sense, Gibson gave us a little peek into the future. From an early 1980s standpoint, this was an entirely different type of book. Cyberpunk was born - a combination of the cyberspace of the internet and the punk movement which had come into being in the late 1970s.

So...from that standpoint the book was fantastic to me. On the other hand, I was confused for the first part of the book. It was difficult for me to understand what was going on. Interestingly, I was reading about the "singularity" the other day, and the article's author thought that perhaps when AI becomes sentient, humans will not understand, as the AI will be capable of unlimited intelligence. Maybe Gibson understood this and deliberately made the beginnings of the book confusing. I really could not identify with the two major characters, Case and Molly. I could find no common ground with them, so it was difficult for me actually to care what happened to them throughout the book. I've never been a big fan of cyberpunk and given a choice I would read soft sci-fi instead of hard, so I was probably a little predisposed not to like the book based on my particular reading preferences. As far as the plotting, aside from the confused feeling at the beginning, I felt that it did move along fairly well. I won't give away any spoilers, but I did like the ambiguity of the ending.

I used Amazon whisper sync partially to listen to, but mainly to read, Neuromancer. I would NOT recommend the narrator, Robertson Dean. I had tried several times to start listening to the book but never got very far. His voice was flat with little inflection, and the way he read the female characters really bugged me.

From a standpoint of what Neuromancer gave to science fiction, I think the book deserves five stars. However, in my opinion, reading the book just for my pleasure, I would give it three stars. Hence, a 4-star rating.
  rretzler | Apr 6, 2016 |
Prescient and creative, but I honestly like his later books better. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Cutting edge SF, introducing cyber into the lexicon.
  bowlees | Mar 6, 2016 |
A new vocabulary for a transformed reality: the deeply influential cyberpunk classic, 30 years on from its original publication
added by dClauzel | editThe Guardian, John Mullan (Nov 7, 2014)

I have to apologize for failing to review William Gibson's "Neuromancer" when it appeared last year. I was led to believe I had done Mr. Gibson an injustice when this novel (the author's first) won both of the important 1984 best-of-the-year awards in science fiction: the Nebula and the Hugo. Now that I have read the book, I would like to cast a belated ballot for Mr. Gibson.

Ovo je roman koji je započeo kiberpank revoluciju, prva knjiga koja je dobila sveto trojstvo nagrada u žanru naučne fantastike - Hugo, Nebula i Filip K. Dik.

Sa Neuromantom, Vilijem Gibson je predstavio svetu kiberprostor i naučna fantastika više nikada nije bila ista. Gibson je svojim romanom najavio sve ono što je došlo godinama kasnije, Internet revoluciju, Matriks filmska trilogiju i neverovatan razvoj informatičkih tehnologija. Kejs je najbolji kompjuterski kauboj koji krstari informatičkim supermagistralama, povezujući svoju svest sa softverom u kiberprostoru, krećući se kroz obilje podataka, pronalazeći tajne informacije za onoga ko može da plati njegove usluge. Kada prevari pogrešne ljude, oni mu se svete na užasan način, uništavajući njegov nervni sistem, mikron po mikron. Proteran iz kiberprostora i zarobljen u svom otupelom telu, Kejs je osuđen na smrt u tehnološkom podzemlju, sve dok ga jednog dana ne angažuju misteriozni poslodavci. Oni mu nude drugu priliku i potpuno izlečenje. Jedini uslov je da prodre u matricu, neverovatno moćnu veštačku inteligenciju kojom upravlja poslovni klan Tezje-Ešpul.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Deb
who made it possible
with love
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
See, those things, they can work real hard, buy themselves time to write cookbooks or whatever, but the minute, I mean the nanosecond, that one starts figuring out ways to make itself smarter, Turing'll wipe it. Nobody trusts those fuckers, you know that. Every AI ever built has an electromagnetic shotgun wired to its forehead.
I never did like to do anything simple when I could do it ass-backwards.
Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation, by children being taught mathematical concepts. … A graphic representation of data abstracted from banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding.
"To call up a demon you must learn its name. Men dreamed that, once, but now it is real in another way. You know that, Case. Your business is to learn the names of programs, the long formal names, names the owners seek to conceal. True names ...." [AI Neuromancer to Case, p243]
Cyber jocks assault.
Founders, corroded, can't stop
The AI jailbreak.

(enterthephil)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441569595, Mass Market Paperback)

Here is the novel that started it all, launching the cyberpunk generation, and the first novel to win the holy trinity of science fiction: the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award and the Philip K. Dick Award. With Neuromancer, William Gibson introduced the world to cyberspace--and science fiction has never been the same.

Case was the hottest computer cowboy cruising the information superhighway--jacking his consciousness into cyberspace, soaring through tactile lattices of data and logic, rustling encoded secrets for anyone with the money to buy his skills. Then he double-crossed the wrong people, who caught up with him in a big way--and burned the talent out of his brain, micron by micron. Banished from cyberspace, trapped in the meat of his physical body, Case courted death in the high-tech underworld. Until a shadowy conspiracy offered him a second chance--and a cure--for a price....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:29 -0400)

Case, a burned out computer whiz, is asked to steal a security code that is locked in the most heavily guarded databank in the solar system.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,254,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible