The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of…

The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge (original 1968; edition 1973)

by Carlos Castaneda

Member:mirrordrum
Title:The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge
Authors:Carlos Castaneda
Info:Ballantine Books (1973), Edition: 13th Printing, Mass Market Paperback, 276 pages

The teachings of don Juan: a Yaqui way of knowledge by Carlos Castaneda (1968)

Recently added byprivate library, DReicht, thebigidea, sstose, SteveDuke, loughlin, kushtaka9962
Legacy LibrariesTerence Kemp McKenna

English (23)  Spanish (3)  All languages (26)
I read Book 1 of Carlos Castenada's anthropological/spiritual series almost 35 years ago, and have never forgotten it. In fact, it changed my view of reality entirely.

Carlos Castenada was an anthropology student at UCLA when he first met don Juan Matus, a Yaqui Indian, in his search for information about mind altering drugs. The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge is the story of how Castenada became the unwitting apprentice of a powerful Yaqui brujos (sorcerer or shaman). there is no way to describe the journey that became the cornerstone for a whole movement of spiritual seekers. You'll just have to read it and see for yourself. ( )
  cpq | Oct 1, 2014 |
The Teachings of Don Juan follows a Carlos' journey to enlightenment with a native american indian called Don Juan. Don Juan is considered to be a 'brujo'.. something of a sorcerer, and Carlos initially approaches him to understand more about a specific plant, but is drawn into Don Juan's intrigue.

The book has an academic tone in its diary style and dialectic, which, for a nerd like me, is somewhat refreshing, but I can't help but feel so bored reading it. I'll admit it, I sometimes hardly payed attention. He's talked about altered states of consciousness (fancy words for 'getting high) and describes them in some nice detail. And the ideas presented are compelling, but don't seem to be axiomatic enough for me to get excited about.

The definition of a man of knowledge as someone who follows with integrity the hardships of learning. The discipline and modesty required to learn. Learning starts with ignorance, and fear mounts when you realize that what you signed up for isn't exactly what you're getting. But this is part of learning, and here is the first battle on the road to non-ignorance. Overcoming fear is taking the next step in learning despite the fear. Despite the desire to run away. This brings clarify, which dispels fear, but blinds a man to doubt (necessary for learning). Defying clarity enables to continue yearning for knowledge. Then learning brings power, which a man of knowledge must learn never really belongs to him.

The enemies of a man of knowledge are fear, clarity, power, old age. Old age, which brings tiredness that a man of knowledge must trudge through. There was the description of a man have an infinite number of paths that could be travelled, and the importance of choosing the path with a heart. A deliberate and self-assessed choice.

As every book inevitably does, this offers a new perspective on some old ideas. But you could probably go without reading it. ( )
  waelrammo | Sep 14, 2014 |
For the lovers of mystery and Castaneda!

This is a great first into the world and writing of Carlos Castaneda. I read this book third to "A Separate Reality" and "Journey to Ixtlan"; regardless, this is a great read in either order. This book has more of a general outline of Don Juan's mystical teachings; Castaneda's writing is more underdeveloped. Regardless, descriptions remain vivid and contrasted.

I highly recommend this book to the beginner reader of Castaneda's work. ( )
  mezcalita | Sep 10, 2014 |
On of my all time favourites that set he pace for me to read the sequels. Each time I was not disappointed wither with the writings or the story line. While there is the official story there is also a deeper hidden and more spiritual message to those who are open to deciphering it. I found it clever then and am looking forward to going back and rereading after these many long years. ( )
  Phoenixangelfire | Apr 6, 2014 |
All books of Carlos Castaneda are very important to me. He (and his Don Juan), Vadim Zeland - writer from Russia, quantum physicist and Alexey Bachev - an unusual psychologist from Bulgaria, main character of my book Life Can Be a Miracle have shaped my way of thinking, perceiving, experiencing the reality. Very grateful for showing me the miraculous way of living!!!! ( )
  ivinela | Dec 10, 2013 |
Para mi solo recorrer los caminos que tienen corazon, cualquier camino que tenga corazon. Por ahi yo recorro, y la unica prueba que vale es atravesar todo su largo. Y por ahi yo recorro mirando, mirando, sin aliento. (For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path that may have heart. There I travel, and the only wortwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly.) --Don Juan
...nothing more can be attempted than to establish the beginning and the direction of an infinitely long road. The pretension of any systematic and definitive completeness would be, at least, a self-illusion. Perfection can here be obtained by the individual student only in the subjective sense tat he communicates everything he has been able to see. --Georg Simmel
For don Juan-and for the two persons who shared his sense of magical time with me
My notes on my first session with don Juan are dated June 23rd, 1961.
Introduction: In the summer of 1960, while I was an anthropology student at the university of California, Los Angeles, I made several trips to the Southwest to collect information on the medicinal plants used by the Indians of the area.

In 1960 maakte de 26-jarige antropoloog Carlos Castaneda een studiereis door het zuidwesten van de Verenigde Staten. Zijn belangstelling gold vooral de geneeskrachtige planten die door de Indianen in die streek werden gebruikt. In Arizona ontmoette hij bij toeval een oude Yaqui Indiaan, don Juan geheten. Don Juan bleek iemand te zijn die over uitzonderlijke vermogens beschikte, hij was een 'man van kennis', een brujo, een tovenaar. Carlos Castaneda kwam onmiddellijk in zijn ban en was tien jaar lang zijn leerling. Via het gebruik van hallucinogene middelen werd hij ingewijd in een andere, aparte werkelijkheid.

Over deze ingrijpende verandering in zijn leven, en de zowel angstaanjagende als fascinerende mogelijkheden, heeft Carlos Castaneda een aantal boeken geschreven: De lessen van don Juan (1972), Een aparte werkelijkheid (1973), Reis naar Ixtlan (1975) en Kennis en macht (1976).

De lessen van don Juan is wellicht het eerste heldere boek over hallucinatoire ervaringen met de planten peyotl (Lophophora williamsii), Jimsonkruid (Datura inoxia), en een paddestoel (Psilocybe mexicana). Nuchter genoteerd, en toch van een opwindende schoonheid zijn de fantastische ervaringen die Carlos Castaneda bij de wijze Indiaan don Juan deelachtig worden.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671600419, Mass Market Paperback)

A YAQUI WAY OF KNOWLEDGE

The teachings of don Juan is the story of a remarkable journey: the first awesome steps on the road to becoming a "man of knowledge" -- the road that continues with A Separate Reality and Journey to Ixtlan.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel, looking, looking, breathlessly." -- Don Juan

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:35 -0400)

Hallucinogenic drugs and religious experience, replacement for Osborne.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

University of California Press

An edition of this book was published by University of California Press.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,024,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible