Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce
4,133561,215 (4.18)1 / 126

Daine has the ability to communicate with animals. Her skills are put to the test when terrifying immortal creatures appear who have been imprisoned for the last four hundred years.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Nov 7, 2016 |
As you can see by the speed at which I finished this book, (less than 24 hours) it is quite a capturing tale.  It's most obvious appeal to me is Daine's ability to communicate with animals.  I just love all the characters in this book, they're all so easy to connect to.   ( )
  Iamanerdfighter | May 30, 2016 |
This is one of my most favorite books of all time! I've bought this book twice, the first time which was fantastic! The second not so much because I had read the first so many times it just up and fell apart on me - something I have never done before.

The story of Daine just grabs me up from the very first sentence and no matter what I do I can't bring myself to put it down. It is my inspiration, something to bring me up when I am down, and everything in between. Reading this book makes me want to right something equally amazing as well as read more and more. Daine is headstrong, speaks to animals, and makes friends of which I envy her of so I am very happy that I can live in the world she does for even a fraction of my time. I can't help but wish for Tamora Pierce to write many more books so I can live in that world with them more often with new adventures.

GO DAINE! ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
The Immortals are the only Pierce books I've never read before. (I did some memory-wrestling and still I have no idea why.) Wild Magic is an engrossing, fast-paced read with a much more diverse supporting cast than the Lioness Quartet and appearances by a lot of old favorites.

This isn't a proper review, but more a list of warnings/possible triggers. As much as I enjoyed the book (a lot--seriously, it was a great read), there are definitely some elements that may be upsetting for various reasons.

-Prior to the events of the book, the main character goes feral (for magic reasons) after the death of her family. She's hunted by villagers she'd grown up with and barely survives. She's THIRTEEN. She's traumatized. This is handled in a fairly delicate fashion, but could still be distressing to readers, particularly in the intended age group (it's a MG novel).
-Animal injury/death.
-Mentions of spousal abuse (one of the main characters was beaten by her husband and left to die).
-Children in peril. (This isn't limited to the relatively mature main character, who, again, is only thirteen.)

I really liked Wild Magic, but mind the warnings for your own peace of mind. Happy reading! ( )
  kaytaylorrea | Mar 18, 2016 |
After raiders destroy her happy village, a young peasant girl named Daine joins up with the Queen's Own hostler. They travel to Tortall, having dangerous adventures along the way. Once in Tortall, Daine discovers she has Wild Magic, which enables her to communicate and control all animals. Despite the many attacks by monsters, this book lacks any narrative tension, probably because I actively dislike Daine. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Pierce, TamoraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watkins, LiselotteCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yuen Jr., SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Raquel Wolf-Sister and Tas Horse-Hearted
Who opened my heart to the songs of all the beasts
Each year, at the end of March, a great fair was held in Crîa, the capital of Galla.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067988288X, Mass Market Paperback)

Young Daine's knack with horses gets her a job helping the royal horsemistress drive a herd of ponies to Tortall. Soon it becomes clear that Daine's talent, as much as she struggles to hide it, is downright magical Horses and other animals not only obey, but listen to her words. Daine, though, will have to learn to trust humans before she can come to terms with her powers, her past, and herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:18 -0400)

The mage Numair, the knight Alanna, and Queen Thayet enlist thirteen-year-old Daine's help to battle the dreadful immortal creatures that have recently begun to attack the kingdom of Tortall. Tamora Pierce has captivated the imaginations of readers everywhere with her acclaimed books set in the magical medieval world of Tortall. For longtime fans and new converts, here is a chance to discover a land of enchantment, legend, and adventure. In Wild Magic, all the orphaned Daine wants is a job. What she finds is magic. Hired by the Queen's Riders because of her knack with animals, Daine soon reveals that not only do animals obey her, but they also understand her words. But Daine must learn to trust humans before she can use her magic to save the kingdom. In Wolf-speaker, a threatened wolf pack summons the only human they know who can listen to their messages of danger-orphaned Daine. Daine believes the wolves' message of peril, but the danger and intrigue brewing in Dunlath Valley are far beyond anything she imagined. In Emperor Mage, Daine sails to Carthak as part of a peace treaty delegation from Tortall. While healing the emperor's captive birds, Daine discovers a new and terrifying dimension of her wild magic: She can bring dead creatures back to life. What is she to do with such immense power? Finding out the answer nearly costs Daine her life. Thirteen-year-old DaIne has always had a knack with animals, but it's not until she's forced to leave home that she realizes it's more than a knack -- it's magic. With this wild magic, not only can Daine speak to animals, but also she can make them obey her. Daine takes a job handling horses for the Queen's Riders, where she meets the master mage Numair and becomes his student. Under Numair's guidance, Daine explores the scope of her magic. But she begins to sense other beings too: immortals. These bloodthirsty monsters have been imprisoned in the Divine Realms for the past four hundred years, but now someone has broken the barrier. It's up to Daine and her friends to defend their world from an immortal attack.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,148,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible