Wild Magic (The Immortals) by Tamora Pierce
4,609601,589 (4.18)1 / 144
The mage Numair, the knight Alanna, and Queen Thayet enlist thirteen-year-old Daine's help to battle the dreadful immortal creatures that have recently begun to attack the kingdom of Tortall.
Member:benfulton
Title:Wild Magic (The Immortals)
Authors:Tamora Pierce
Info:Simon Pulse (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce (1992)

This book was surprisingly good :) It started out a little stiff. The pace picking up as I went. The world building was pretty solid; I love Daine, though I do tend to picture her differently from the cover model.

You know a book fits into high fantasy when it has a map at the front of it. Daine is thirteen, and alone. HEr and her horse, Cloud, are searching for their next home. Enter, Onua, A K'mir who instantly takes a liking to Daine.

I can't wait to see what they will get up to next. ( )
  thebacklistbook | Apr 24, 2019 |
I needed to go back to tortall this was just the ticket ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
It's interesting, cuz I was just reading Kel, and in Kel, Daine is all grown up and powerful and confidant and, like, sophisticated, and now all the sudden, she 13 and shy and scared and just came out of all that really shitty stuff that happened to her in Snowsdale, and it's like, shock! ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
I recently reread the Immortals quartet after what was probably a five or six year break. What surprised me the most about Wild Magic is that it was clearly for middle-grade readers, which is what I was when I began reading them.

The quality of writing, however--and for that matter, of the story and of the characters as well--has not diminished. I may have been able to whip through each of the Immortals' installments, but I was still very impressed with the structure of the story and the fullness of each character. I found myself sympathizing with Daine, the main character, as she struggled to adjust to her new life. I fell in love with the supporting characters as well--everyone from Cloud and Tahoi to Numair and Kalasin. (And, of course, Alanna.)

whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
Daine has the ability to communicate with animals. Her skills are put to the test when terrifying immortal creatures appear who have been imprisoned for the last four hundred years.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Nov 7, 2016 |

Pierce, TamoraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watkins, LiselotteCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yuen Jr., SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Raquel Wolf-Sister and Tas Horse-Hearted
Who opened my heart to the songs of all the beasts
Each year, at the end of March, a great fair was held in Crîa, the capital of Galla.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,680,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible