dismiss

Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne

Winnie-the-Pooh

by A. A. Milne

Other authors: E.H. Shepard (Illustrator)

Series: Winnie-the-Pooh (1)

The adventures of Christopher Robin and his friends, in which Pooh Bear uses a balloon to get honey, Piglet meets a Heffalump, and Eeyore has a birthday.
    The House at Pooh Corner by A. A. Milne (gilberts)
    A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Another British children's book about bears. Both bears are very well-meaning but always seem to end up getting into all kinds of scrapes. They also share a lot of wisdom through the stories which makes them great books for adults to read and enjoy as well as children.… (more)
    Owly Volume 1: The Way Home & The Bittersweet Summer by Andy Runton (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Owly reminds me most of the Winnie the Pooh TV cartoons, but the book as well.
    Finding Winnie: The True Story of the World’s Most Famous Bear by Lindsay Mattick (inge87)
    Ponder and William by Barbara Softly (bookel)

English (167)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (170)
A delightful collection of stories for any age. They encapsulate the mind of a child and the adventures they create. It tells of the stories that fathers recount for their sons, and manages to put in some charming wit for anyone that isn't Christopher Robin's age. It's a classic. ( )
  peterbmacd | May 16, 2020 |
To be honest, reading this story broke my heart. See, the Disney variant of Pooh is something etched in my mind ever since I was a child. My parents had never read these stories to me, so I was excited to finally have an excuse to see the source material for these characters. Do not get me wrong; the characters all act as they do in the Disney version (sans Tigger who is not included).

My problem comes from the fact that none of the stories felt to build to anything, and made me ask ‘Who Cares?’ when reading them. I kept feeling that any of these adventures could have been the last, and the only reason it stops when it does is because the author got bored. Maybe once I get past the shock of the differences, I can try to get through this collection again since the stories are not poorly written or anything like that. For now, though, I have no interest in checking it or the sequels out from my library. ( )
  TNAEWWF123 | Apr 27, 2020 |
A delightful children’s book I never read as a child or to a child. Never too late and not a minute too soon. ( )
  dasam | Mar 19, 2020 |
Writing: 5.0; fantastic writing from A. A. Milne that is so abstract in its delivery that it pays off wonderfully.
Theme: 5.0; the adventures of a stuffed bear named Winnie-the-Pooh and his other toy animal friends, such as Piglet, Rabbit, Owl, Kanga, and Roo, as they go on various journeys and have all sorts of humorous encounters with their owner Christopher Robin.
Content: 5.0; nothing objectionable.
Language: 5.0; nothing objectionable.

The beginning of one of the greatest worlds in all fiction, Winnie-the-Pooh follows the titular stuffed bear as he goes on many adventures with his friends, both human and animal, many with humorous escapades that ensue. Christopher Robin, the young boy who owns all the stuffed animals and actually sprung the entire story into action, politely asks for stories to be told concerning the rather impressionable Pooh Bear, who wants to hear stories about himself. So the narrator begins, and we soon are welcomed into a world so massive and brilliant that it's easy to see why it became such a sensation that still survives to this day. Originally published in 1926, this collection of the first Pooh tales gives us a rich and colorful introduction into the world of everyone's favorite bear, and we are able to meet so many of the classic characters that have become staples in the Winnie the Pooh universe, the only real noticeable absences being Tigger and, at least concerning the modern iterations of Winnie the Pooh, the Disney creation Gopher. Still, even without these excellent characters, we are treated to a wonderful selection of stories that put Pooh front and center, and it couldn't have been much better. The writing is done in such a way that it comes off very abstract and almost confusing, but it is done in such a fashion that it just works. Not to mention the excellent illustrations from Ernest H. Shepard, which add another layer to this vibrant world. Several classic Pooh tales that have been adapted in Disney's various works are also present here, such as Pooh getting stuck in Rabbit's door, Eeyore's birthday, Piglet being put in Roo's place, and Piglet getting flooded and trapped in his home. If you've never read any Pooh books before, do yourself a favor and grab one. They're excellent. Highly recommended. ***Finished February 26, 2020*** ( )
  DarthTindalus | Feb 28, 2020 |
I haven’t previously read any Winnie-the-Pooh books so it was a wonderful surprise to read this one.

The book tells of the adventures of Christopher Robin and his animal friends, who all live in the Hundred Acre Wood.

From the delightful illustrations we can see that Christopher Robin is a little fair-haired boy of about four. He lives behind a green door in a big tree, though, again from the illustrations, he also seems to live in a real house, since we see him having a bath and going down some stairs.

I imagine that the story in the book is being read to him, the boy living in a house, by his Dad, the author, and it relates his imaginary life as a boy living in a forest.

Winnie-the-Pooh, whose real name is Edward Bear, is obsessed with honey. He is a Bear of No Brain at All, but still during terrible floods it is he who finds out how to rescue his friend Piglet.

Piglet lives in a very grand house in the middle of a beech-tree in the middle of the forest.

Eeyore is an old grey donkey who is generally miserable since he believes nobody cares about him. Nevertheless, the other animals remember his birthday and bring him presents. On one occasion Eeyore loses his tail but Winnie-the-Pooh finds it for him.

Rabbit lives in his rabbit hole and one day when Winnie has visited him, the latter gets stuck in the front door and needs to wait there for a week until he gets thin enough to get pulled out.

Then there is Owl who is extremely wise though he’s no better than the others at spelling. He does however use long words so the others often find it hard to understand what he’s talking about.

There are also Kanga and Baby Roo, who is carried about in Kanga’s pocket.

One day Christopher Robin leads an “expotition” to find the North Pole. Nobody really knows what the North Pole is, but Pooh succeeds in finding it, and then Christopher Robin sticks it in the ground with a message tied to it.

They also make a trap to catch a Heffalump and Piglet succeeds in catching one, though it may in fact have been Pooh with his head stuck in a honey jar.

Anyway, there are lots of adventures and never a dull moment; the book ends with Christopher Robin holding a party for Pooh.

Throughout the book Winnie-the-Pooh sings enchanting songs he himself has composed, like this one, for example:

Sing Ho! For the life of a Bear!
Sing Ho! For the life of a Bear!
I don’t much mind if it rains or snows,
‘Cos I’ve got a lot of honey on my nice new nose!
I don’t much care if it snows or thaws,
‘Cos I’ve got a lot of honey on my nice clean paws!
Sing Ho! For a Bear!
Sing Ho! For a Pooh!
And I’ll have a little something in an hour or two!

To conclude, this is an enchantingly imaginative anthropomorphic book, ideal for reading aloud to small children. I will be on the lookout for more Christopher Robin books.
  IonaS | Feb 7, 2020 |

Zabulica-Diordiev, VioletaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Her

Hand in hand we come

Christopher Robin and I

To lay this book in your lap.

Say you're surprised?

Say you like it?

Say it's just what you wanted?

Because it's yours--

Because we love you.
Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin.
“When you wake up in the morning, Pooh,” said Piglet at last, “what’s the first thing you say to yourself?” “What’s for breakfast,” said Pooh. “What do you say, Piglet?” “I say, I wonder what’s going to happen exciting today?” said Piglet. Pooh nodded thoughtfully. “It’s the same thing,” he said. (160)
So Kanga and Roo stayed in the Forest. And every Tuesday Roo spent the day with his great friend Rabbit, and every Tuesday Kanga spent the day with her great friend Pooh, teaching him to jump, and every Tuesday Piglet spent the day with his great friend Christopher Robin. So they were all happy again. (109)
[Piglet] is jealous because he thinks Pooh is having a Grand Introduction all to himself. Pooh is the favourite, of course, there’s no denying it, but Piglet comes in for a good many things which Pooh misses; because you can’t take Pooh to school without everybody knowing it, but Piglet is so small that he slips into a pocket, where it is very comfortable to feel him… and in this way he has got more education than Pooh, but Pooh doesn’t mind. Some have brains, and some haven’t, he says, and there it is. (ii-iii)
The isbn 0525430350 is associated with an unabridged version of "Winnie-the-Pooh", not Disney's "Winnie-the-Pooh and Tigger".

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,633,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible