Winnie-the-Pooh (Pooh Original Edition) by…

Winnie-the-Pooh (Pooh Original Edition) (original 1926; edition 1992)

by A. A. Milne, Ernest H. Shepard (Illustrator)

Member:hemlokgang
Title:Winnie-the-Pooh (Pooh Original Edition)
Authors:A. A. Milne
Other authors:Ernest H. Shepard (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin (1992), Paperback, 176 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Children, Modern Library 100, Film

Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne (1926)

The House at Pooh Corner by A. A. Milne (gilberts)
    A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Another British children's book about bears. Both bears are very well-meaning but always seem to end up getting into all kinds of scrapes. They also share a lot of wisdom through the stories which makes them great books for adults to read and enjoy as well as children.… (more)
    Owly Volume 1: The Way Home & The Bittersweet Summer by Andy Runton (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Owly reminds me most of the Winnie the Pooh TV cartoons, but the book as well.
    Ponder and William by Barbara Softly (bookel)

English (110)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (114)
Milne's version is so full of insights into childhood that are entirely missed by the better known saccharine Disney version.The story has an endearingly whimsical nature and the wordplay is delightful, not to mention Ernest Shepard's absolutely adorable illustrations. It's a shame that these days he seems better known for his appearances on Disney-licensed merchandise rather than his adventures in the Hundred Acre Wood. ( )
  crunchymunchkin | Apr 30, 2015 |
Summary: This book is a compilation of short stories about Pooh and his friends. Not only are the characters the classic group of friends that have been around for years, but the story of Pooh itself is very much fantasy. The same group of characters is featured throughout this book. There are plenty of fun adventures in this book.

Personal Reaction: I grew up reading and watching Winnie the Pooh stories. I was never a big fan of Pooh or his friends. I think this book would be good for kids that do like Winnie the Pooh because there is more than one story in here.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1) Talk about different animals, where they live, what they eat, etc.
2) Do a show-and-tell with the kids' favorite stuffed animals or toys
  Bretny | Apr 29, 2015 |
Wow. So charming. I was coming to these stories fresh, never having read the stories as a child. Sharing them with my son was amazing. The writing is clever without being precious. Plenty going on in the writing to entertain both children and adults. Marvelous. ( )
  kingmob2 | Apr 8, 2015 |
A childhood favorite. ( )
  RBeene | Mar 17, 2015 |
Summary - This book was a whole bunch of little stories. Winnie the pooh was always getting himself into something. He tried to figure out how to get honey with a balloon.

Personal Reaction - As a child I remember watching these shows on TV but never really thought of reading the book. When I did finally end up reading it I thought it was ok. I really have never been into Winnie the Pooh books.

Classroom Extension Ideas -
1. Play with balloons and try and pick stuff up with them.
2. Sing the Winnie the Pooh song. ( )
  JennaJ | Oct 28, 2014 |

Shepard, E.H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Her

Hand in hand we come

Christopher Robin and I

To lay this book in your lap.

Say you're surprised?

Say you like it?

Say it's just what you wanted?

Because it's yours--

Because we love you.
Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin.
“When you wake up in the morning, Pooh,” said Piglet at last, “what’s the first thing you say to yourself?” “What’s for breakfast,” said Pooh. “What do you say, Piglet?” “I say, I wonder what’s going to happen exciting today?” said Piglet. Pooh nodded thoughtfully. “It’s the same thing,” he said. (160)
So Kanga and Roo stayed in the Forest. And every Tuesday Roo spent the day with his great friend Rabbit, and every Tuesday Kanga spent the day with her great friend Pooh, teaching him to jump, and every Tuesday Piglet spent the day with his great friend Christopher Robin. So they were all happy again. (109)
[Piglet] is jealous because he thinks Pooh is having a Grand Introduction all to himself. Pooh is the favourite, of course, there’s no denying it, but Piglet comes in for a good many things which Pooh misses; because you can’t take Pooh to school without everybody knowing it, but Piglet is so small that he slips into a pocket, where it is very comfortable to feel him… and in this way he has got more education than Pooh, but Pooh doesn’t mind. Some have brains, and some haven’t, he says, and there it is. (ii-iii)
The isbn 0525430350 is associated with an unabridged version of "Winnie-the-Pooh", not Disney's "Winnie-the-Pooh and Tigger".

Edward Bear acquires a new name, Winnie-the-Pooh, and a new life with the inhabitants of the Hundred Acre Woods.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:31 -0400)

The adventures of Christopher Robin and his friends, in which Pooh Bear uses a balloon to get honey, Piglet meets a Heffalump, and Eeyore has a birthday.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,215,294 books! | Top bar: Always visible