Winnie-the-Pooh (Pooh Original Edition) by…

Winnie-the-Pooh (Pooh Original Edition) (original 1926; edition 1992)

by A. A. Milne, Ernest H. Shepard (Illustrator)

Member:hemlokgang
Title:Winnie-the-Pooh (Pooh Original Edition)
Authors:A. A. Milne
Other authors:Ernest H. Shepard (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin (1992), Paperback, 176 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Children, Modern Library 100, Film

Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne (1926)

The House at Pooh Corner by A. A. Milne (gilberts)
    A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Another British children's book about bears. Both bears are very well-meaning but always seem to end up getting into all kinds of scrapes. They also share a lot of wisdom through the stories which makes them great books for adults to read and enjoy as well as children.… (more)
    Owly Volume 1: The Way Home & The Bittersweet Summer by Andy Runton (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Owly reminds me most of the Winnie the Pooh TV cartoons, but the book as well.
    Ponder and William by Barbara Softly (bookel)

English (119)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (122)
The reader (Peter Dennis) is poor to the point of distraction. He makes Pooh sound as depressed as Eeyore and far from lovable. He makes snuffling/honking noises throughout Piglet's speech that is beyond annoying. I don't care if this reader has the real Christopher Robin's approval - I found him horrendous. That being said, the stories are worlds ahead of many early children's stories. The character each have developed personalities, the stories are detailed and entertaining, and the humor is...well...humorous. It seems many older children's books are simplistic and condescending to young children. ( )
  benuathanasia | Jan 29, 2016 |
Winnie-the-Pooh was exactly what I needed. I basically read it in one sitting and smiled the entire time. There are scenes from one's childhood that seem fixed in place. They are immoveable and grounded in such a way that it's as if they were always there. Many times you try to revisit them in your adulthood and discover that they were little more than cardboard sets and a man pulling strings. Christopher Robin and his friends in the Hundred Acre Wood are a completely different ball of wax. In fact, I learned more about these beloved characters through this book. For instance, did you know that Winnie-the-Pooh had a different name? (I'd tell you what it was but that would be a spoiler. (-: ) Or that Tigger didn't show up until the second book in the series? I recommend that everyone read this book with their children (or nieces, cousins, etc.) because it's beautiful. The storylines are sweet, the illustrations are enchanting, and the way it makes you feel is indescribable. ( )
  AliceaP | Jan 20, 2016 |
5 Stars for Nostalgia Read

One of my reading challenges this month was to read a book with a teddy bear on the cover or in the story. I knew instantly that, even though it's a children's book, I was going to reread Winnie the Pooh. What a wonderful, classic story about one of the most beloved characters in children's literature. It's one of the most magical books that entire generations can enjoy together. If your only introduction to Pooh is through the Disney version, please read this book to get a better view of the sweet world of this “Silly Old Bear”. He thinks he's a “bear of very little brain” but he always get the “hunny” in the end. He's a loyal and steadfast friend who is fond of food and poetry. His very best friend is Christopher Robin and he lives in the Hundred Acre Woods with his friends, Piglet, Eeyore, Rabbit, Owl, Tigger, Kanga and Roo.

The stories retain the beauty, simplicity and charm they have had for almost 100 years. The illustrations by E.H. Shepard are amazing. It was so much fun the revisit this book after so many years.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
As if there was any doubt I wasn't going to love Winnie-The-Pooh? It was really nostalgic to read, but it went quick. I can't wait to read the other books in the series. I can understand why these stories are classics. 5 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Beammey | Jan 2, 2016 |
I used to read to Jon from this book, every night! I intended yo we the whole book. Never got past 'Pooh Goes Visiting'. ( )
  ijothomson | Jan 2, 2016 |

Shepard, E.H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Her

Hand in hand we come

Christopher Robin and I

To lay this book in your lap.

Say you're surprised?

Say you like it?

Say it's just what you wanted?

Because it's yours--

Because we love you.
Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin.
“When you wake up in the morning, Pooh,” said Piglet at last, “what’s the first thing you say to yourself?” “What’s for breakfast,” said Pooh. “What do you say, Piglet?” “I say, I wonder what’s going to happen exciting today?” said Piglet. Pooh nodded thoughtfully. “It’s the same thing,” he said. (160)
So Kanga and Roo stayed in the Forest. And every Tuesday Roo spent the day with his great friend Rabbit, and every Tuesday Kanga spent the day with her great friend Pooh, teaching him to jump, and every Tuesday Piglet spent the day with his great friend Christopher Robin. So they were all happy again. (109)
[Piglet] is jealous because he thinks Pooh is having a Grand Introduction all to himself. Pooh is the favourite, of course, there’s no denying it, but Piglet comes in for a good many things which Pooh misses; because you can’t take Pooh to school without everybody knowing it, but Piglet is so small that he slips into a pocket, where it is very comfortable to feel him… and in this way he has got more education than Pooh, but Pooh doesn’t mind. Some have brains, and some haven’t, he says, and there it is. (ii-iii)
The isbn 0525430350 is associated with an unabridged version of "Winnie-the-Pooh", not Disney's "Winnie-the-Pooh and Tigger".

Edward Bear acquires a new name, Winnie-the-Pooh, and a new life with the inhabitants of the Hundred Acre Woods.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:19 -0400)

The adventures of Christopher Robin and his friends, in which Pooh Bear uses a balloon to get honey, Piglet meets a Heffalump, and Eeyore has a birthday.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,081,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible