Winnie the Pooh (Hodder Children's…

Winnie the Pooh (Hodder Children's Audio) (original 1926; edition 2002)

by A. A. Milne, Stephen Fry (Performer), Jane Horrocks (Performer)

6,415None598 (4.36)190
Member:VicksieDo
Title:Winnie the Pooh (Hodder Children's Audio)
Authors:A. A. Milne
Other authors:Stephen Fry (Performer), Jane Horrocks (Performer)
Info:Hodder Headline Audiobooks (2002), Audio CD
Rating:*****

Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne (1926)

The House at Pooh Corner by A. A. Milne (gilberts)
    A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Another British children's book about bears. Both bears are very well-meaning but always seem to end up getting into all kinds of scrapes. They also share a lot of wisdom through the stories which makes them great books for adults to read and enjoy as well as children.… (more)
    Owly Volume 1: The Way Home & The Bittersweet Summer by Andy Runton (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Owly reminds me most of the Winnie the Pooh TV cartoons, but the book as well.
    Ponder and William by Barbara Softly (bookel)

English (105)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (107)
My opinion on Winnie the Pooh may be biased because growing up I was always read Pooh stories as well as watched all the cartoons. Going back as an adult and reading this book I loved it just as much as when I was a child. The things I liked about this book was that it is so light and adventurous just as a child should be. I like how Pooh was not the most intelligent giving it a humorous aspect as the reader goes through and sees the ridiculous ideas he comes up with and finds to be brilliant. I also like the humor of how Pooh is always hungry, in every story he is gorging on honey at some point. Something I also really like about Winnie the Pooh is the bond of friendship it displays. The friendship between Christopher Robin and the animals of the Hundred Acre Woods and the relationship developed between all the animals that live there. "“If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.” There are numerous heartfelt friendship quotes as this one throughout the book that make it all the more pleasing to read. I also like how Milne used Shepard to illustrate the book because while his illustrations are simple they carry a quaint eloquence that ties into the tone of the text nicely. This book has stayed a favorite over 90 years after its publication I believe because of its message of lively, adventurous, innocent youth. ( )
  kwiggi3 | Apr 8, 2014 |
I listened to this as I was flying to Florida. It was delightful. Very soothing when I had a terrible headache. I especially loved Piglet's voice. It was a great cast for this production. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
(With original line illustrations by E. H. Shepard)

This book was originally published in 1926, when Christopher Robin, A. A. Milne's son, would have been about 5 or 6. Milne breaks the fourth wall to envelop us, too, in the delightful adventures of Christopher Robin and his companions.

These are the opening paragraphs (after a short Introduction, where we are given a sideways explanation of who Winnie the Bear is - until Piglet interrupts):

Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Cristopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there really is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it. And then he feels that perhaps there isn't. Anyhow, here he is at the bottom, and ready to be introduced to you. Winnie-the-Pooh.

When I first heard his name, I said, just as you are going to say, "But I thought he was a boy?"

"So did I," said Christopher Robin.

"Then you can't call him Winnie?"

"I don't."

"But you said --"

"He's Winnie-the-Pooh. Don't you know what 'ther' means?"

"Ah, yes, now I do," I said quickly; and I hope you do too, because it is all the explanation you are going to get.

(oh, alright, then; just this once. He apparently took his named from a Canadian bear, who - after many adventures in the Great War - came to reside in London Zoo, and was named after Winston Churchill. Winnie. As for 'ther-Pooh', you'll have to ask him yourselves.)

And so we are introduced to Winnie-ther-Pooh (formerly known as Edward Bear), and thus to Christopher Robin. This is the delightful, quirky tone of the book, which is a collection of 10 short stories featuring the denizens of the 100 Aker Wood, some of whose arrivals (Kanga's and Roo's) feature in the collection. They go on expotitions, hunt Woozles and Wizzles and Heffalumps (or are hunted by them), have parties - and of course - eat lots of hunny. Which usually gets our bear into trouble.

I just love the casual, quirky silliness of the way it's written:

Christopher Robin said you couldn't be called Trespassers W, and Piglet said yes, you could, because his grandfather was, and it was short for Trespassers Will, which was short for Trespassers William. And his grandfather had had two names in case he lost one - Trespassers after an uncle, and William after Trespassers.

This was the bedtime book I read to my children over a few nights. My four year old loved the stories, while my nine year old gets a lot of the humour, though there are some levels that may be reserved for adults (I doubt young children realise that Piglet's sign is part of 'trespassers will be prosecuted', for instance).

And in addition, for me, there is that sense of reminiscence and innocence that is partly peeking into my children's childhood and partly looking back to mine.

This book strikes a special chord with me, as Christopher Robin - as portrayed - is about the same age as my youngest is now (though my child is, necessarily, more worldly-wise).

Thoroughly recommended, especially for a bit of light-hearted, misty-eyed nostalgia.

Five stars. ( )
  libraian | Dec 6, 2013 |
I thought it was a good book and it was very cute. I would like it more than others because i really love winnie the pooh and when i read it i felt like i was in the hundred acre wood. Its good to read to little kids. ( )
  oceanna | Nov 13, 2013 |
I can honestly say I never read this book as a child and never had it read to me. But I knew the story and the characters, now who hasn't?

So my son being 4 years old and focused on toys, videos, and I didnt think that reading this to him would have too much of an effect on him. Boy was I wrong!

He anxiously waited for each night to come around for us to read the next chapter to see what that, "Silly old bear was up to today!"

The wordplay between the characters really got him thinking throughout the story. Lots of the dialouge helps shape out some new vocabulary that you wouldnt think they could grasp, but after awhile my son would be asking me further questions obviously showing he understood what was happening.

We're going to pick up [b:The House at Pooh Corner|776407|The House at Pooh Corner|A.A. Milne|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1178249919s/776407.jpg|3244521] since he's really wants to here how Tigger is introduced.

A must read for your kids! ( )
  capiam1234 | Aug 14, 2013 |

Shepard, E.H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Her

Hand in hand we come

Christopher Robin and I

To lay this book in your lap.

Say you're surprised?

Say you like it?

Say it's just what you wanted?

Because it's yours--

Because we love you.
Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin.
“When you wake up in the morning, Pooh,” said Piglet at last, “what’s the first thing you say to yourself?” “What’s for breakfast,” said Pooh. “What do you say, Piglet?” “I say, I wonder what’s going to happen exciting today?” said Piglet. Pooh nodded thoughtfully. “It’s the same thing,” he said. (160)
So Kanga and Roo stayed in the Forest. And every Tuesday Roo spent the day with his great friend Rabbit, and every Tuesday Kanga spent the day with her great friend Pooh, teaching him to jump, and every Tuesday Piglet spent the day with his great friend Christopher Robin. So they were all happy again. (109)
[Piglet] is jealous because he thinks Pooh is having a Grand Introduction all to himself. Pooh is the favourite, of course, there’s no denying it, but Piglet comes in for a good many things which Pooh misses; because you can’t take Pooh to school without everybody knowing it, but Piglet is so small that he slips into a pocket, where it is very comfortable to feel him… and in this way he has got more education than Pooh, but Pooh doesn’t mind. Some have brains, and some haven’t, he says, and there it is. (ii-iii)
The isbn 0525430350 is associated with an unabridged version of "Winnie-the-Pooh", not Disney's "Winnie-the-Pooh and Tigger".

Edward Bear acquires a new name, Winnie-the-Pooh, and a new life with the inhabitants of the Hundred Acre Woods.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:31 -0400)

The adventures of Christopher Robin and his friends, in which Pooh Bear uses a balloon to get honey, Piglet meets a Heffalump, and Eeyore has a birthday.

Nine editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,473,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible