Wolf-Speaker by Tamora Pierce

I read this book surrounded by animals, because how else should I have read it? I love Daine ao much. I l8ve her compassion, and I love that she learns to be open-minded towards all creatures. Numair is so loyal to his friends, and Alanna is bad ass as ever. This book also deals with conplicated issues, such as her unwilling changes to the animals that she engages with.

I love animals, Daine loves animals, therefore, I love this book! ( )
  Iamanerdfighter | May 30, 2016 |
I think I've run out of steam for this series right now, as much as I was enjoying it. Lots of other things to read. Will come back to this someday.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
If someone asks me what my favorite books were when I was younger, why I want to be a writer, why I love fantasy or why I still - as a 25 year old adult working in Finance - have an imagination, all fingers must be pointed at Tamora Pierce. I started reading her books when I was 9 or 10, and they have stayed with me and I am happy to keep up with her writing even now, and I have gone back a re-read her series many times. Pierce is a world builder, and an excellent one at that, and even though Daine is fourteen in this novel, it is easy to fall into her world.

The Immortals was the first series I read by Pierce, and relatively unique in its storytelling as the knights are side stories and her training is one-on-one and more nomadic, unlike the Circle of Magic series. Wolf Speaker is fun because Daine begins to fall into her abilities as a Wild Mage and finds a few fun surprises. As this book is written for children and not angst-ridden teens or scrutinizing adults, the tone is relatively light and her troubles are few as she adapts to the world around her and her abilities. Additionally, Pierce gives the underlying message of the importance of respecting the natural world around us and not succumbing to greed at any cost.

This gets three stars because Daine drives me nuts. She's very emotional and is written that way purposefully - the characters around her also get exasperated with her. Her abilities are interesting, the little dragon Kitten is interesting, the story is a bit light (as aforementioned - children's book), her teacher Numair is interesting, but Daine takes a little bit of patience at times, like listening to a self-righteous, whiny pre-teen (appropriately so) and I think perhaps the intentionality of this tied with my reaction just sort of goes to show how adept of a writer Pierce is....

My recollection of the series is that Wolf Speaker was my least favorite of the four and I look forward to Emperor Mage. ( )
  Morteana | Feb 8, 2016 |

Morteana | Nov 29, 2015 |
[b:Wolf-Speaker|24094|Wolf-Speaker (Immortals, #2)|Tamora Pierce|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347995618s/24094.jpg|1090193] is wonderful. I love the action scenes and the way the Immortals come into play as characters/races (species?). Pierce deals with the animal voices so well and their speech was a main source of humor throughout the book. Their natures were developed by their unique speech patterns so that readers could understand how wolves/eagels/marmots/etc behaved on their own. My favorite parts were when the animals made our human expressions their own. The plot is fast paced and I could hardly resist the temptation not to finish it in one day. ( )
  Jackie_Sassa | Nov 20, 2015 |

Strohm, MargaretNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watkins, LiselotteCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Raquel Wolf-Sister, once again,
To Thomas, who has taught me and who still teaches me to keep my mind flexible and my creativity from stiffening up,
And to Tim, always, each and every bok,
whether I say so or not.
The wolves of the Long Lake Pack, gorged on a careless mountain sheep, slept as they digested their meal.

When the wolves of Long Lake call, Daine must use her powerful ability to communicate with animals to save them from ecological disaster.

Responding to a call for help from the wolves of Long Lake Pack, Daine and the wizard Numair travel to Dunlath Valley, where they discover a tangle of evil and magic that endangers the very kingdom. Numair must hurry back to court to warn the king—which leaves only Daine, the wolves, and her expanding group of animal allies to hold off disaster. Brimming with magic and adventure, centered on a daring young woman who will stop at nothing to protect her animal friends, Wolf-speaker showcases Tamora Pierce at the top of her form.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0679882898, Mass Market Paperback)

When humans start cutting down trees and digging holes in peaceful Dunlath Valley, the wolves know that something is wrong. They send a messenger to the only human who will listen -- Daine, a fourteen-year-old girl with the unpredictable power of wild magic. Daine and her closest companions heed the wolves' cry for help. But the challenge they are about to face in the valley is greater than they can possibly imagine...

Set in Tortall during the reign of King Jonathan III and Queen Thayet, Wolf-Speaker is the second book in The Immortals series, which chronicles the time when the world is invaded by immortal creatures and a girl is born with a magical gift that could restore the very balance of nature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:27 -0400)

With the help of her animal friends, Daine fights to save the kingdom of Tortall from ambitious mortals and dangerous immortals. Tamora Pierce has captivated the imaginations of readers everywhere with her acclaimed books set in the magical medieval world of Tortall. For longtime fans and new converts, here is a chance to discover a land of enchantment, legend, and adventure. In Wild Magic, all the orphaned Daine wants is a job. What she finds is magic. Hired by the Queen's Riders because of her knack with animals, Daine soon reveals that not only do animals obey her, but they also understand her words. But Daine must learn to trust humans before she can use her magic to save the kingdom. In Wolf-speaker, a threatened wolf pack summons the only human they know who can listen to their messages of danger-orphaned Daine. Daine believes the wolves' message of peril, but the danger and intrigue brewing in Dunlath Valley are far beyond anything she imagined. In Emperor Mage, Daine sails to Carthak as part of a peace treaty delegation from Tortall. While healing the emperor's captive birds, Daine discovers a new and terrifying dimension of her wild magic: She can bring dead creatures back to life. What is she to do with such immense power? Finding out the answer nearly costs Daine her life.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,148,157 books! | Top bar: Always visible