God's Dream by Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Great story about how God is watching and wants us to be kind to one another. A definite read if your school allows religious freedom. ( )
  rhigginbotham | Nov 23, 2014 |
I liked the book, “God's Dream.” The main idea of this story is to tell children how God views them and how God desires children to be kind and forgiving. The poetic writing in this book makes readers feel loved and best of all, wanting to share love with others. For example, “Dear Child of God, do you know how to make God's dream come true? It is really quite easy. As easy as sharing, loving, caring. As easy as holding, playing, laughing. As easy as knowing we are family because we are all God's children.” What is incredibly great about this book is the diversity of the characters. I especially appreciate the illustrations because all of the characters in the book are from a different culture. There is an Asian girl, a Hispanic boy, an African-American girl, a Hindu girl, about every culture I see in this world. For once, I did not see a book full of American Caucasians with only a handful of different cultured characters. Some characters in the book also had traditional clothing on, and the illustrator also showed different religions. For sure, I loved the illustrations and characters in this book. ( )
  yyoon4 | Oct 30, 2014 |
This book was fine for the most part, but I did not enjoy it much because of the illustrations and some of the words. ( )
  TeresaCruz | Oct 12, 2014 |
This is a book that teaches children about happiness, forgiveness, and love. It shows them how to enjoy sharing, caring, and laughing. Most of all it informs children that we are all God's children. We are all equal. All the good things we do and share with people will make God smile. ( )
  kfisher524 | Sep 9, 2014 |
This is a beautiful book about the vision God has for His children. It speaks directly to children about how God wants them to treat one another. It talks about friendship, love, equality, diversity, and forgiveness. Many cultures are represented in this book and it really speaks the truth of God's heart.

Genre Critique: It's hard to classify this book by genre but I would choose informational because it explains a concept. In essence, this is a religious book. I really liked how the text flowed and the illustrations enhanced the text's meaning.

Media: graphite, watercolor, ink ( )
  EmilyWright | Nov 13, 2012 |

With warmth and humor, Archbishop Desmond Tutu distills his philosophy of unity and forgiveness into a picture book for the very young.

Archbishop Desmond Tutu has a vision of God's dream, which he shares here with the youngest of listeners. It involves people who reach out and hold each other's hands, but sometimes get angry and hurt each other — and say they're sorry and forgive. It's a wish that everyone will see they are brothers and sisters, no matter their way of speaking to God, no matter the size of their nose or the shade of their skin. Aided by vibrant artwork evoking such images as a rainbow and a sharing circle, Tutu offers the essence of his ubuntu philosophy, a wisdom so clear and crystalline that even the smallest child can understand.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:26 -0400)

An introduction for the youngest readers to Archbishop Tutu's message of forgiveness and empathy.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763633887, 076364742X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,375,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible