The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by…

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

by Alan Bradley

Series: Flavia de Luce (1)

1950s (131) 2009 (42) 2010 (52) amateur detective (36) British (63) chemistry (213) crime (51) crime fiction (34) detective (47) ebook (41) England (314) fiction (424) Flavia de Luce (113) historical fiction (81) humor (40) Kindle (37) murder (126) mystery (907) Philately (43) poison (108) read (77) read in 2009 (38) read in 2010 (39) read in 2011 (37) series (59) sisters (52) stamp collecting (74) stamps (95) to-read (124) young adult (37)
    Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh (lorin77)
    The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King (clif_hiker, 47degreesnorth)
    The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (foggidawn)
    The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (chinquapin)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (nysmith)
    The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery (lauranav)
    lauranav: Both show relationships and point of view of a young girl.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (inbedwithbooks)
    inbedwithbooks: Deze twee boeken vertonen veel gelijkenis, door de hoofdpersonages, nl.jonge rijke betweterige meisjes.
    The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet by Reif Larsen (raizel)
    raizel: Both stories about brilliant and quirky children were recommended at the same time by my daughter. T.S. Spivet is the more real character and the book is beautifully written. Yes, T.S. Spivet is a boy, but I'm not sexist enough to let that bother me.
    We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (citygirl)
    citygirl: Castle is much darker and Flavia is more adorable than creepy (Merricat is quite creepy), but if you're interested in unusual young protagonists, with a very particular world view, try these.
    The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Flavia de Luce has a similar voice as Enola and both are young, precocious and underestimated detectives.
    Hotel Paradise by Martha Grimes (y2pk)
    y2pk: Pre-teen girl investigating adult crimes, while putting up with her sometimes-strange family and home life. Emma Graham also appears in two other books, Cold Flat Junction and Belle Ruin. They should be read in order.
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (47degreesnorth)
    A Man in Uniform by Kate Taylor (starfishian)
    The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (dara85)

English (444)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (455)
Flavia is a young chemist who is brilliant at solving mysteries. Follow her through this well written mystery of a murder, right in her own garden! Intricate and fun!
  mcorbink | Jul 4, 2014 |
This review may contain spoilers.

I like mysteries but have never really loved them (except for Nancy Drew, but that may have been a right-time, right-circumstances thing). But with Flavia de Luce, I really got sucked into this book. It was well done. I really like the chemistry talk (kinda goes with my interest in forensic crime/police procedural TV shows). At the same time, Flavia just has a lot of gumption. She's smart, and she's almost fearless-- both because she's an invincible youngster but also because of an innate morbid fascination. Any comparison with Wednesday Addams would be apt.

Ah, but what's the story?, you may ask. It starts out... well, let's skip the first little bit so you can enjoy that for yourself. Soon enough, the cook--yes, this is 1950s Britain and classism is an underscored reality-- finds a dead snipe on the doorstep, with a Penny Black stamp impaled on its beak. Her father is clearly unnerved by this when he sees it. Upon recovering himself, he snatches the offending object from the creature.

The dead jack snape will not be the only death on the property. Later that night, after Flavia overhears a heated argument between her father and a red-haired stranger, the same red-haired stranger is found lying in their cucumber patch. Flavia stumbles upon him as he takes his dying whispeedr, "Vale!"

And so starts the mystery that occupies the rest of the book. It is engrossing. And you should read it, to find out, like the best, "who dun it?"
  pegasus.rose.99 | Jun 25, 2014 |
Lovely mystery replete with young sassy smart girl of 11 going on 40 who helps to solve quite a mystery. Exciting! ( )
  hklibrarian | Jun 2, 2014 |
Not my favorite. Too slow moving and lacked a certain amount of believability in the characters. In fact, I don't think I liked any of them at all. ( )
  klarsenmd | May 29, 2014 |
Flavia De Luce is my new favorite "detective" even if she is only 11 years old! ( )
  Chatty_Cathie | May 18, 2014 |
It's a rare pleasure to follow Flavia as she investigates her limited but boundless-feeling world. And it's nice to know she'll be back.

Impressive as a sleuth and enchanting as a mad scientist (“What a jolly poison could be extracted from the jonquil”), Flavia is most endearing as a little girl who has learned how to amuse herself in a big lonely house.

Bradley, Alanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Entwistle, JayneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montgomery, JoeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Unless some sweetness at the bottom lie, who cares for all the crinkling of the pie?

--William King, The Art of Cookery (1708)
For Shirley
It was as black in the closet as old blood.
That means King George the Sixth, and King George the Sixth is not a frivolous man.
It is not unknown for fathers with a brace of daughters to reel off their names in order of birth when summoning the youngest, and I had long ago become accustomed to being called "Ophelia Daphne Flavia, damn it."
It occurred to me that Heaven must be a place where the library is open twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. No... eight days a week.
My particular passion was poison.
"I have forgot much, Cynara! Gone with the wind,
...
I have been faithful to thee, Cynara! In my fashion"

It's from his Non Sum Qualis Eram Bonae Sub Regno Cynarae. Perhaps you know of it? I shook my head. It's very beautiful, I said.

I wish I could say I was afraid, but I wasn't. Quite the contrary. This was by far the most interesting thing that had ever happened to me in my entire life.

In his wickedly brilliant first novel, Alan Bradley introduces one of the most singular and engaging heroines in recent fiction — eleven-year-old Flavia de Luce, an aspiring chemist with a passion for poison. It is the summer of 1950 — and a series of inexplicable events has struck Buckshaw, the decaying English mansion that Flavia's family calls home. A dead bird is found on the doorstep, a postage stamp bizarrely pinned to its beak. Hours later, Flavia finds a man lying in the cucumber patch and watches him as he takes his dying breath. For Flavia, who is both appalled and delighted, life begins in earnest when murder comes to Buckshaw.

An enthralling mystery, a piercing depiction of class and society, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is a masterfully told take of deceptions — and a rich literary delight.

-----------------------------

For very-nearly-eleven-year-old Flavia de Luce, the discovery of a dead snipe on the doorstep of Buckshaw, the crumbling de Luce country seat, was a marvellous mystery — especially since this particular snipe had a rather rare stamp neatly impaled on its beak. Even more astonishing was the effect of the dead bird on her stamp-collector father, who appeared to be genuinely frightened. Soon Flavia discovers something even more shocking in the cucumber patch and it's clear that the snipe was a bird of very ill omen indeed.

As the police descend on Buckshaw, Flavia decides it is up to her to piece together the clues and solve the puzzle. Who was the man she heard her father arguing with? What was the snipe doing in England at all? Who or what is the Ulster Avenger? And, most peculiar of all, who took a slice of Mrs Mullet's unspeakable custard pie that had been cooling by the window...?

It is the summer of 1950, and at the once-grand mansion of Buckshaw, young Flavia de Luce, an aspiring chemist with a passion for poison, is intrigued by a series of inexplicable events. For Flavia, life begins in earnest when murder comes to Buckshaw.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,541,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible