The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by…

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

by Alan Bradley

Series: Flavia de Luce (1)

4,6024601,041 (3.85)1 / 758
    Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh (lorin77)
    The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King (clif_hiker, 47degreesnorth)
    The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (foggidawn)
    The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (chinquapin)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (nysmith)
    The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery (lauranav)
    lauranav: Both show relationships and point of view of a young girl.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (inbedwithbooks)
    inbedwithbooks: Deze twee boeken vertonen veel gelijkenis, door de hoofdpersonages, nl.jonge rijke betweterige meisjes.
    The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet by Reif Larsen (raizel)
    raizel: Both stories about brilliant and quirky children were recommended at the same time by my daughter. T.S. Spivet is the more real character and the book is beautifully written. Yes, T.S. Spivet is a boy, but I'm not sexist enough to let that bother me.
    We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (citygirl)
    citygirl: Castle is much darker and Flavia is more adorable than creepy (Merricat is quite creepy), but if you're interested in unusual young protagonists, with a very particular world view, try these.
    The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Flavia de Luce has a similar voice as Enola and both are young, precocious and underestimated detectives.
    Hotel Paradise by Martha Grimes (y2pk)
    y2pk: Pre-teen girl investigating adult crimes, while putting up with her sometimes-strange family and home life. Emma Graham also appears in two other books, Cold Flat Junction and Belle Ruin. They should be read in order.
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (47degreesnorth)
    A Man in Uniform by Kate Taylor (starfishian)
    The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (dara85)

English (452)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (463)
Read from June 15 to September 08, 2014

In my ongoing attempt to finish as few books as possible in 2014, here's another one I just lost interest in. I found Flavia an interesting character, but the mystery wasn't mysterious enough to keep me interested in reading another 200 pages. ( )
  melissarochelle | Oct 12, 2014 |
Eleven-year-old Flavia de Luce is the star of this mystery set in England in 1950. When a man is found dead in her garden, she has to unravel events dating back decades in order to identify the murderer. Well, technically, she doesn't have to. In fact, the authorities would probably prefer that she left the job to them. But Flavia is smart and precocious, and she's convinced that her knowledge of chemistry and her general curiosity will lead her to the killer.

I had trouble warming up to Flavia at first. On the audio, she came across as a bit too impressed with herself. (The inflections in the narrator's voice may have heightened this effect.) But in the end, she won me over. I felt like she needed an "equal" in the book. Her father, her sisters, the housekeeper, and most of the other characters came off as quite daft most of the time. Her conversations with the chief investigator as the book was wrapping up made me wish that they had more interactions throughout. Although this start to the series was entertaining enough, I'm on the fence as to whether I'll keep going. ( )
1 vote porch_reader | Sep 30, 2014 |
This wasn't exactly poorly-written, but I didn't feel connected to the main character and the things she did just weren't very interesting or smart or funny or anything special. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
It's a rare pleasure to follow Flavia as she investigates her limited but boundless-feeling world. And it's nice to know she'll be back.

Impressive as a sleuth and enchanting as a mad scientist (“What a jolly poison could be extracted from the jonquil”), Flavia is most endearing as a little girl who has learned how to amuse herself in a big lonely house.

Bradley, Alanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Entwistle, JayneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montgomery, JoeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Unless some sweetness at the bottom lie, who cares for all the crinkling of the pie?

--William King, The Art of Cookery (1708)
For Shirley
It was as black in the closet as old blood.
That means King George the Sixth, and King George the Sixth is not a frivolous man.
It is not unknown for fathers with a brace of daughters to reel off their names in order of birth when summoning the youngest, and I had long ago become accustomed to being called "Ophelia Daphne Flavia, damn it."
It occurred to me that Heaven must be a place where the library is open twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. No... eight days a week.
My particular passion was poison.
"I have forgot much, Cynara! Gone with the wind,
...
I have been faithful to thee, Cynara! In my fashion"

It's from his Non Sum Qualis Eram Bonae Sub Regno Cynarae. Perhaps you know of it? I shook my head. It's very beautiful, I said.

I wish I could say I was afraid, but I wasn't. Quite the contrary. This was by far the most interesting thing that had ever happened to me in my entire life.

In his wickedly brilliant first novel, Alan Bradley introduces one of the most singular and engaging heroines in recent fiction — eleven-year-old Flavia de Luce, an aspiring chemist with a passion for poison. It is the summer of 1950 — and a series of inexplicable events has struck Buckshaw, the decaying English mansion that Flavia's family calls home. A dead bird is found on the doorstep, a postage stamp bizarrely pinned to its beak. Hours later, Flavia finds a man lying in the cucumber patch and watches him as he takes his dying breath. For Flavia, who is both appalled and delighted, life begins in earnest when murder comes to Buckshaw.

An enthralling mystery, a piercing depiction of class and society, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is a masterfully told take of deceptions — and a rich literary delight.

-----------------------------

For very-nearly-eleven-year-old Flavia de Luce, the discovery of a dead snipe on the doorstep of Buckshaw, the crumbling de Luce country seat, was a marvellous mystery — especially since this particular snipe had a rather rare stamp neatly impaled on its beak. Even more astonishing was the effect of the dead bird on her stamp-collector father, who appeared to be genuinely frightened. Soon Flavia discovers something even more shocking in the cucumber patch and it's clear that the snipe was a bird of very ill omen indeed.

As the police descend on Buckshaw, Flavia decides it is up to her to piece together the clues and solve the puzzle. Who was the man she heard her father arguing with? What was the snipe doing in England at all? Who or what is the Ulster Avenger? And, most peculiar of all, who took a slice of Mrs Mullet's unspeakable custard pie that had been cooling by the window...?

It is the summer of 1950, and at the once-grand mansion of Buckshaw, young Flavia de Luce, an aspiring chemist with a passion for poison, is intrigued by a series of inexplicable events. For Flavia, life begins in earnest when murder comes to Buckshaw.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible