The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by…

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (edition 2011)

by Alan Bradley, Jayne Entwistle (Reader)

4,757474991 (3.86)1 / 794
Member:avogl
Title:The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
Authors:Alan Bradley
Other authors:Jayne Entwistle (Reader)
Info:Random House Audio (2011), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Mystery, young adult, chemistry, stamps

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh (lorin77)
    The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King (clif_hiker, 47degreesnorth)
    The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (foggidawn)
    The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (chinquapin)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (nysmith)
    The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery (lauranav)
    lauranav: Both show relationships and point of view of a young girl.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (inbedwithbooks)
    inbedwithbooks: Deze twee boeken vertonen veel gelijkenis, door de hoofdpersonages, nl.jonge rijke betweterige meisjes.
    The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Flavia de Luce has a similar voice as Enola and both are young, precocious and underestimated detectives.
    We Have Always Lived in the Castle (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) by Shirley Jackson (citygirl)
    citygirl: Castle is much darker and Flavia is more adorable than creepy (Merricat is quite creepy), but if you're interested in unusual young protagonists, with a very particular world view, try these.
    The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet by Reif Larsen (raizel)
    raizel: Both stories about brilliant and quirky children were recommended at the same time by my daughter. T.S. Spivet is the more real character and the book is beautifully written. Yes, T.S. Spivet is a boy, but I'm not sexist enough to let that bother me.
    Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though Sweetness is more of a traditional mystery, it shares with Where'd You Go, Bernadette an endearing, precocious, and entertaining young narrator who pieces together clues from the adult world to solve a mystery. Character interactions are delightfully, humorously depicted.… (more)
    Hotel Paradise by Martha Grimes (y2pk)
    y2pk: Pre-teen girl investigating adult crimes, while putting up with her sometimes-strange family and home life. Emma Graham also appears in two other books, Cold Flat Junction and Belle Ruin. They should be read in order.
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (47degreesnorth)
    A Man in Uniform by Kate Taylor (starfishian)
    The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (dara85)

English (469)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (480)
My co-worker Marie suggested this series. After the first 2 pages I was hooked. Big time. It is an incredibly well written story about a young girl in England a decade or so after the second world war. It is a mystery book and I am not really into mysteries but there is so much more to this story. The heroine is amazing, just like I would have liked to be as a kid. If I had been that smart! ( )
  okramsey | May 21, 2015 |
I read this book because it was recommended by my local library. This is a very entertaining mystery that is told by an 11-year-old girl who is interested in chemistry. She tries to solve a murder mystery after a strange man dies in her family's cucumber garden. The story is set in the English countryside shortly after World War II, and it is very enjoyable to follow Flavia as she bicycles around the area with her bicycle named Gladys, searching places for evidence and clues and interviewing interesting characters in her quest to uncover the truth of what happened. The story has the right mix of drama and humor, the descriptions and dialoge are very well written. I listened to this book on audio, and I really liked listening to the narrator. ( )
  AdrienneJS | May 18, 2015 |
To be fair, I only actually read the last bit of this novel. For most of it, I listened to the lovely Jayne Entwistle bring the story to life via audio book. It was brilliant. Her crisp voice read Bradley's words with a lively, clean, sound. And Bradley's words - oh, the simile, the vocabulary, the literary references - delightful. The main character, Flavia, is endearing and enchanting. I should like to have a child like her. He perfectly captured the mind of an eleven-year-old girl. The plot, twisting and twinning, characters full of mystery, the emotional depth all combine to make a nearly perfect novel. I'm hooked - utterly and completely, and I must have more of this marvelous story. ( )
  empress8411 | Apr 30, 2015 |
I read this book while at my sister's house this week. Let me paint you a picture of the chaos I blocked out to get to the end of this terrific story...My sister her husband their 15 month old daughter, my brother his wife their 15 month old son, my father his wife, my stepsister, her boyfriend, his dog and me all in the house for 5 days! Tghis book was so engaging I managed to block out all the noise, the baby cuteness the dog sweetness the visiting relatives to finish in 2 days! ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
Not a book for someone with ADD. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
It's a rare pleasure to follow Flavia as she investigates her limited but boundless-feeling world. And it's nice to know she'll be back.

Impressive as a sleuth and enchanting as a mad scientist (“What a jolly poison could be extracted from the jonquil”), Flavia is most endearing as a little girl who has learned how to amuse herself in a big lonely house.

Bradley, Alanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Entwistle, JayneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montgomery, JoeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Unless some sweetness at the bottom lie, who cares for all the crinkling of the pie?

--William King, The Art of Cookery (1708)
For Shirley
It was as black in the closet as old blood.
That means King George the Sixth, and King George the Sixth is not a frivolous man.
It is not unknown for fathers with a brace of daughters to reel off their names in order of birth when summoning the youngest, and I had long ago become accustomed to being called "Ophelia Daphne Flavia, damn it."
It occurred to me that Heaven must be a place where the library is open twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. No... eight days a week.
My particular passion was poison.
"I have forgot much, Cynara! Gone with the wind,
...
I have been faithful to thee, Cynara! In my fashion"

It's from his Non Sum Qualis Eram Bonae Sub Regno Cynarae. Perhaps you know of it? I shook my head. It's very beautiful, I said.

I wish I could say I was afraid, but I wasn't. Quite the contrary. This was by far the most interesting thing that had ever happened to me in my entire life.

In his wickedly brilliant first novel, Alan Bradley introduces one of the most singular and engaging heroines in recent fiction — eleven-year-old Flavia de Luce, an aspiring chemist with a passion for poison. It is the summer of 1950 — and a series of inexplicable events has struck Buckshaw, the decaying English mansion that Flavia's family calls home. A dead bird is found on the doorstep, a postage stamp bizarrely pinned to its beak. Hours later, Flavia finds a man lying in the cucumber patch and watches him as he takes his dying breath. For Flavia, who is both appalled and delighted, life begins in earnest when murder comes to Buckshaw.

An enthralling mystery, a piercing depiction of class and society, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is a masterfully told take of deceptions — and a rich literary delight.

-----------------------------

For very-nearly-eleven-year-old Flavia de Luce, the discovery of a dead snipe on the doorstep of Buckshaw, the crumbling de Luce country seat, was a marvellous mystery — especially since this particular snipe had a rather rare stamp neatly impaled on its beak. Even more astonishing was the effect of the dead bird on her stamp-collector father, who appeared to be genuinely frightened. Soon Flavia discovers something even more shocking in the cucumber patch and it's clear that the snipe was a bird of very ill omen indeed.

As the police descend on Buckshaw, Flavia decides it is up to her to piece together the clues and solve the puzzle. Who was the man she heard her father arguing with? What was the snipe doing in England at all? Who or what is the Ulster Avenger? And, most peculiar of all, who took a slice of Mrs Mullet's unspeakable custard pie that had been cooling by the window...?

It is the summer of 1950, and at the once-grand mansion of Buckshaw, young Flavia de Luce, an aspiring chemist with a passion for poison, is intrigued by a series of inexplicable events. For Flavia, life begins in earnest when murder comes to Buckshaw.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,220,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible