Young Squanto, First-Start Biography by…

Young Squanto, First-Start Biography (edition 1996)

by Andrew woods

1588107,539 (4)None
Member:splacko22
Title:Young Squanto, First-Start Biography
Authors:Andrew woods
Info:Scholastic (1996), Paperback

Young Squanto: The First Thanksgiving by Andrew Woods

I would use this in the first grade to talk about the first Thanksgiving and Native Americans. I would also use it to talk about what a biography is and how to write a biography. I would use this book for this because it shows nicely everything that a biography should contain, and could be interesting to the children because it is something that they already know a little bit about (Thanksgiving), but may not know all the details. ( )
  SarahSangalli | Apr 14, 2016 |
Summary-As a young Native American boy, Squanto learned the way of the land, like everyone around and before him have. When the Pilgrims arrived, they traded knowledge and other things with each other. Squanto went on a journey with the Pilgrims to help them communicate with other tribes. After his journey, he and many others were captured and forced back to England and used as slaves. Squanto made it back home after several years only to find his whole family was gone, along with the others. He lived alone until he met Samoset, who took him back to his land where Pilgrims were living. They taught the Pilgrims the way of the land and how to harvest food. In the fall, the Pilgrims made their food and shared with Squanto and his friends. Thus celebrating the first Thanksgiving.
Personal Reaction-It's important to know where traditions came from. This books tells of one of the most important traditions that we still share today.
Classroom Extension-Have kids draw a picture of their family's Thanksgiving tradition and their favorite thing to eat on that day.
  sarah_desrosier | Nov 12, 2014 |
Summary:
Young Squanto is about an Native American boy. He help European explorers talk to different Native American tribes. He sets sail to England where he lives for nine years. He and john smith sail back to america where squanto goes back to his village. When he got to his village he find that every one had died from disease. He lived alone in the forests for a while until he hears that colonist have settled in his village. He helps the settlers learn to fish and grow crops.

Personal Reaction:
I never really knew about squantos history growing up i had always just heard about him helping the colonists. I like this book and the details it gives. i like that it tells a different story then what people usually hear.

Classroom extension idea:
1. Research Squanto
2. Research The first settlers
  MichelleOsburn | Oct 24, 2013 |
This biography is about Squanto. When Squanto was young he sailed with sailors and ended up in England where he met John Smith. Squanto eventually made it back to America where he discovered his family was gone. Then Squanto decided to help the Pilgrims.

I liked this book because I did not realize that I did not know the real story about Squanto.

I would read this book when learning about Squanto and the first Thanksgiving. I would also read it when talking about biographies and ask the students to make a biography about someone they know.
  AlyssaSadler | Apr 18, 2010 |
This biography is about a Native American man named Squanto. This biography helps capture the good times and the struggles that Squanto had to go through. It also talked about the first Thanksgiving.

I like this book because I never really knew the full story of Squanto. I also liked this book because it was very interesting. I felt that the children would enjoy it as well.

In the classroom, I would do a history lesson about Squanto and his tribe. Then, I would also have a history lesson over the first Thanksgiving.
  zimmy09 | Apr 1, 2010 |

A simple biography of the Wampanoag Indian who helped the Pilgrims survive in their early days in the Plymouth colony.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,835,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible